We all experience some pain and soreness in our muscles while performing some daily routines. Muscle pain can be bearable, and sometimes it can make your life very difficult. It can lead to swelling, stiffness, excessive joint pains, making it impossible to move around or stand for too long, etc. Muscle pain can happen to anyone, as this condition is not exclusive to old-age people.
Many medications are available to treat muscle pain, but they also have certain side effects. So, this article is about the natural remedies you can try to get rid of muscle pain without worrying much about its side effects.
Essential oils are extracted from different parts of the plants and are one of the amazing natural remedies that can help you get relief from muscle pain. Essential oils are rich in antioxidants, analgesic, and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce muscle stiffness, swelling, pain, and inflammation. Thus making essential oils the best product to treat muscle pain in the most natural way in the comfort of your home.
The article below has discussed some of the best essential oils you can use if you are suffering from muscle soreness.
Best Essential Oils for Muscle Pain
1. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is one of the most famous essential oils that people very commonly used for treating different issues and conditions. Lavender oil has sedative properties that help in offering relief from pain. Lavender oil is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve muscle aches and soreness. Analgesic properties in lavender oil help release muscle stress and tension and promote calmness to the mind and body (1).
2. Black Pepper Oil
Black pepper oil has a spicy scent to it and is rich in medicinal properties that can help with aches and pain. Black pepper oil has warming properties and promotes blood circulation, which helps in reducing swelling and pain. Black pepper has analgesic properties that can help release severe aches and muscle soreness.
3. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary has strong analgesic properties that help relieve pain and relieve arthritis, and other aches (2). It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in releasing
4. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme essential oil has warming effects that can ease muscle pain. Thyme oil is used to ease chronic joint pains and offers comfort to people suffering from arthritis and rheumatism. Thyme oil also offers relief in pain caused by excess working out, fatigue, sports injuries, etc.
5. Marjoram Oil
Marjoram oil is one of the best essential oils for muscle soreness. Marjoram oil has warming properties required to heal muscle pains and sore muscles. Marjoram oil has calming effects, and it can help release stress and anxiety as well. Marjoram oil has antioxidants and antibacterial properties that can relieve sore muscles.
6. Chamomile Essential Oil
People commonly use Roman and German chamomile essential oils for treating different skin conditions and health issues. According to a study, it has been found that the use of chamomile essential oil offers relief from joint pains and improves the functioning of joints. Its use offers relief in osteoarthritis (3).
7. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint has menthol, which has a cooling impact that helps reduce pain and aches. Menthol helps in numbing the pain, and peppermint oil can be used to ease joint pains as well (4).
8. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil also has a cooling effect which helps in easing pain and inflammation. According to a study, eucalyptus oil has proved to offer relief from pain. Eucalyptus is even used in many pain-relieving ointments.
9. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage essential oil has properties that help in releasing different sorts of pain. Its use can also help reduce swelling and muscle soreness as it is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. Clary sage oil is useful in offering ease in menstrual pains (5).
10. Spearmint Essential Oil
Spearmint has anti-inflammatory effects that work wonders in muscle soreness and pain relief. Spearmint essential oil can help ease the stress around the sore muscles.
11. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum essential oil is one of the most effective essential oils that can promote blood circulation and help the skin heal faster. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce muscle inflammation, leading to severe pain. Helichrysum essential oil promotes calmness and alignment of both mind and body.
12. Cinnamon Essential Oil
Cinnamon essential oil has medicinal benefits and has been used since ancient days. This oil can be used to reduce inflammation. It also eases swelling, improves blood circulation in the affected area, and eases pain.
13. Tea Tree Essential Iil
Tea tree essential oil is another commonly used oil for many different purposes. This oil is one of the personal favorites of people that follow a skincare routine. Tea tree oil has many therapeutic properties that help in healing various skin issues and health conditions. It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, analgesic, and antioxidant properties.
All these therapeutic properties can help reduce pain, inflammation, swelling, stiffness, etc., experienced muscle pain and soreness (5).
14. Basil Essential Oil
Basil oil is one of the great essential oils to treat muscle aches. Basil oil has antispasmodic properties that are believed to release muscle tension. Basil oil has antiseptic properties that help relax muscles and thus offer relief from pain. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help in reducing inflammation and pain experienced in muscle soreness.
15. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense essential oil is one of the most famous oils when it comes to getting relief from pain and strain. Frankincense essential oil has properties that promote pain relief and reduce inflammation and swelling. This is possible because of its anti-inflammatory properties. The use of essential oil facilitates the blockage of leukotrienes which causes inflammation in the body, thus offering relief in pain. The use of this oil also helps in relaxing the mind and releasing stress and anxiety.
16. Vetiver Essential Oil
Vetiver essential oil has been used in ayurvedic medicines for a very long time. It has natural healing properties that help in easing out aches and pain. The use of vetiver oil can be done by people who have arthritis and other muscular pains. Low back pain in older adults is a very common issue, and this oil can be used to offer relief to this issue.
17. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress essential oil eases spasms and swelling, improves blood circulation, and helps release pain. Cypress oil is rich in antioxidant properties that help in releasing toxins from the body and help heal the body from the inside. The use of this oil can help release cramps, muscle tension, stress, anxiety, etc.
18. Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger oil has a warming effect that can relieve muscle pain. It has several medicinal and therapeutic properties that offer pain relief, inflammation relief, colds, coughs, etc. Ginger oil is rich in anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that can help reduce muscle spasms, muscle aches, and arthritis pain.
19. Wintergreen Essential Oil
Wintergreen essential oil creates a cooling effect that can help ease pain and relax your muscles.
20. Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot oil is believed to offer relief in neuropathic pain and can heal chronic nerve disease. Its regular use in muscle pain can help in reducing the pain and stress around the affected area (6).
21. Clove Oil
Clove essential oil is one of the most ancient natural remedies that is being used to release different sorts of pain. It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties that can be used to promote a speedy recovery. Its use can help in releasing stress in muscles and thus relieves muscle pain.
22. Rose Oil
Rose oil is most commonly used for easing menstrual cramps (7). The use of rose oil can also offer relief in other sorts of muscle pain as well as pain due to kidney stones (8).
23. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass oil is one of the best essential oils for sore muscles. Lemongrass oil has eugenol, which reduces strains and muscle pains. Lemongrass essential oil has proved to be effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis (9).
How to Use Essential Oils for Sore Muscles?
Before using essential oils, always keep in mind to dilute your essential oils with any carrier oils. Undiluted essential oils are highly concentrated and can cause irritation if applied directly on the skin. You can dilute essential oils in any carrier oil. Carrier oils include coconut oil, argan oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, jojoba oil, etc.
Also, always undertake a patch test before applying essential oils to the affected area.
Essential oils can be used in following different ways to treat sore muscles.
This is a commonly used method to treat muscle pain with essential oils. Massaging helps oils penetrate deep into the skin to relieve pain.
- Step 1: Take a few drops of the above-listed essential oils and dilute them in your desired carrier oil. Blend these oils very well to make a mixture. Store this blend in a jar or bottles. Roll-on bottles are a great way to carry diluted oils.
- Step 2: Take a few drops of these oils on hand and rub them over the affected region where there is pain.
- Step 3: Massage the area gently in circular motions for 3 to 5 minutes. Let the oil absorb naturally and penetrate deep below the skin. You can massage it on your own or can take the help of others or any professional expert.
You can massage essential oils twice a day until results are achieved.
You can add essential oils to your hot bath and immerse yourself in it for a few minutes. This will also offer you relief from muscle pain. This method can promote the effective entering of essential oils into your body.
Possible side effects and precautions
- Some side effects of essential oils include skin irritation, redness, inflammation, sun damage, allergic reactions, etc.
- It is recommended that the use of essential oils should be avoided by pregnant women, breastfeeding women, and children.
- One should always dilute essential oils with carrier oils before applying them.
- A patch test is a must to make sure that there are no allergic reactions.
- If you witness any allergic reactions, then discontinue using essential oils and consult a doctor.
Essential oils have healing properties that help in healing muscle soreness and pain. Its regular use over the affected area can help release pain, stiffness, and swelling and improves blood circulation. It is recommended that necessary precautions be maintained while using essential oils. Like, adding essential oils in a carrier oil to dilute and use it on the affected area. Adding a few drops of essential oil can do wonders in treating muscle pain.
Frequently Asked Questions
What essential oil is best for muscle pain?
Due to its pain relieving and calming properties, Peppermint essential oil is great to treat muscle pain.
How do you mix essential oils for muscle pain?
You can mix lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint oil with a carrier oil for muscle pain.
How do you use eucalyptus oil for muscle pain?
Eucalyptus oil can be mixed with a carrier oil and gently rubbed on the affected region to alleviate pain.
- Myung Ja Kim, Eun Sook Nam, Seun In Paik. (2017). The Effects of Aromatherapy on Pain, Depression, and Life Satisfaction of Arthritis Patients. https://synapse.koreamed.org/articles/1063350.
- The effect of essential oil of rosemary on eccentric exercise-induced delayed-onset muscle soreness in non-active women. (2019). https://www.wageningenacademic.com/doi/10.3920/CEP190034.
- Sepide Miraj and Samira Alesaeidi. (2016). A systematic review study of therapeutic effects of Matricaria recuitta chamomile (chamomile). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5074766/.
- Mohamed H G Khalaf, Sejal Chowdhary, B Joseph Elmunzer, Puja Sukhwani Elias, Donald Castell. (2019).Impact of Peppermint Therapy on Dysphagia and Non-cardiac Chest Pain: A Pilot Study. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30771044/.
- Babar Ali, Naser Ali Al-Wabel, Saiba Shams, Aftab Ahamad, Shah Alam Khan, Firoz Anwar. (2015). Essential oils used in aromatherapy: A systemic review. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2221169115001033?via%3Dihub.
- Patricia R. Hebert, PhD, E. Joan Barice, MD. (2014). Treatment of Low Back Pain: The Potential Clinical and Public Health Benefits of Topical Herbal Remedies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3995208/.
- G Bagetta, L Berliocchi, L Rombolà, LA Morrone, T Sakurada, MT Corasaniti, S Sakurada. (2015). Preclinical evidence for rational use of bergamot essential oil in pain trials. https://www.thieme-connect.com/products/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-0035-1565356.
- Murat Ayan, Ufuk Tas, Erkan Sogut, Mustafa Suren, Levent Gurbuzler, Feridun Koyuncu. (2016). Investigating the effect of aromatherapy in patients with renal colic. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23072267/.
- Jothi Priya Saveetha University. (2017).Effect of lemongrass oil on rheumatoid arthritis. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319092284_Effect_of_lemongrass_oil_on_rheumatoid_arthritis.