Vertigo is the medical terminology for a spinning sensation or dizziness. There are some people who suffer from vertigo. Vertigo is a sensation of spinning that one can experience either while watching down from a huge height or while moving too quickly. Episodes of vertigo cause a lot of discomfort to people. Some of the symptoms of vertigo include dizziness, nausea, and vomiting.
There are certain medications available in the market to treat vertigo but they might have certain side effects. So, people search for natural remedies to treat their vertigo issue.
Essential oils are one of the most important and effective treatments for vertigo. Essential oils are used in many aromatherapy products. Essential oils have active ingredients that can be used to treat vertigo.
Essential oils have medicinal and therapeutic properties that help in dealing with many skin issues and health conditions. The following blog discusses the best essential oils for vertigo, the causes of vertigo, how to use them, and some DIY blends for vertigo.
What Are The Best Essential Oils For Vertigo And Dizziness?
1. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil improves blood circulation and thus offers relief in vertigo because in vertigo reduced blood flow is experienced. Peppermint oil helps in stimulating the central nervous system and also reduces nauseous feelings. Pure Peppermint oil contains methanol and methanone that helps in calming the mind and body and also help in improving focus (1).
2. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme oil is one of the most effective essential oils that can be used to combat dizziness and nausea (2). It can be added to your drink to achieve instant relief from vertigo. Thyme oil is one of the good choices for reducing dizziness. Many people treat thyme oil as a sort of all-rounder oil for vertigo as it treats its different symptoms as well.
3. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil is one of the best essential oils to relieve nausea and dizziness. Lemon oil can be used to get quick relief from vertigo and its symptoms. Lemon oil has medicinal properties that help in improving health conditions. You can use a diffuser to keep lemon oil in the air and avoid feeling nauseous or dizzy.
4. Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger oil is one of the most effective essential oils for vertigo. Ginger oil is rich in medicinal and therapeutic properties. Ginger oil can offer instant relief from vertigo and also helps fight symptoms of vertigo. It has antiseptic properties that help deal with many different health issues. It also has calming properties that help in reducing dizziness by relaxing the mind and body. Ginger oil and its active ingredients help in overcoming the issue of nausea and dizziness (3).
5. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil has calming and sedative properties that help in relaxing the person suffering from vertigo. It has a calming scent that can be used to get quick relief from dizziness. Anxiety is also one of the causes behind vertigo and dizziness, and lavender oil helps in releasing anxiety and stress and this treats vertigo and its symptoms.
6. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress oil is one of the important essential oils for vertigo or dizziness. The stimulating nature of cypress oil increases the blood flow to the brain and boosts the oxygen level of the brain (4). This is important to get instant relief from vertigo. Cypress oil is also effective for respiratory conditions and clears airway congestion which is a major cause of dizziness.
7. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium essential oil is an important essential oil for dizziness. Geranium oil is famous for its relaxing properties that can calm down both body and mind. It can also be used to improve blood circulation and releases congestion thus geranium oil deals with the issue of dizziness and nausea.
8. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil is used for many different purposes and is one of the most commonly used oils. It has natural calming properties that help relax the mind. Frankincense oil helps release anxiety and stress, light-headedness and dizziness, and nausea (5)
9. Basil Essential Oil
Basil oil has antiseptic properties that help reduce the feeling of dizziness in vertigo. Basil oil treats nausea and also solves the issue of the digestive system. Basil oil also helps in clearing any sort of congestion which is also seen to be an issue of dizziness. Thus basil oil relieves the symptoms of vertigo.
10. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage oil helps relax the mind. It improves digestion. It is an effective oil for improving circulation and also supports the central nervous system. The use of clary sage oil reduces the chances of dizziness and vertigo (6).
11. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil has antiseptic properties. Rosemary also has calming properties that can help ease pain like pain caused due to migraine headaches. It facilitates blood circulation and improves the blood flow in the brain, helping avoid the chances of vertigo.
12. Tangerine Essential Oil
Tangerine oil is one of the best choices for reducing headaches or issues of vertigo and dizziness. Tangerine oil increases and improves the functioning of red blood cells and this helps increase the oxygen level in the body and brain. This improves the overall blood flow and eliminates the chances of vertigo.
13. Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot essential oil help in improving blood circulation. It has alpha-pinene and limonene components that are useful in relaxing the mind and body. Bergamot oil also helps in improving digestion. Poor digestion is also a major cause of dizziness (7).
14. Neroli Essential Oil
Neroli oil will help you stay relaxed. It improves blood flow in the body and promotes blood circulation in the brain. Thus reducing the chances of vertigo.
15. Rose Essential Oil
Rose oil promotes calmness and relaxation. Rose oil has the ability to release the sensation of spinning. Rose oil possesses certain active ingredients that improve the functioning of the central nervous system and fights the signs of vertigo.
16. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil helps treat the issue of sinus (8). It improves affecting breathing and fights the signs of dizziness in vertigo. It has natural calming properties that are necessary for a sound mind and body.
What Are The Causes Of Vertigo?
There are many different reasons that can cause vertigo. Following are some of the commonly known reasons behind vertigo:
Migraine leads to severe headaches which can leave a person in immense pain. These headaches are sometimes so severe that they can lead to vertigo.
There are certain medications that are high in dosage and are quite heavy for the body to digest. Due to this reason, some people suffer vertigo or also feel nauseous.
Vertigo is a common issue faced by people having diabetes. Diabetes weakens the body and due to this reason, people experience dizziness.
4. Any Sort Of Head Injury
People who had suffered any sort of head injury also suffer from vertigo.
5. Long Bed Rest
Sleeping for too long and then waking up might lead to feeling dizziness.
How To Use Essential Oils For Vertigo And Symptoms Of Vertigo?
Essential oils can be used in different ways to help with vertigo and treat vertigo symptoms.
Essential oils are highly concentrated and they can be dangerous if applied directly to the skin. Undiluted essential oils can cause skin irritation, inflammation, redness, and allergic reactions.
So, to avoid this it is important to dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, apricot oil, sweet almond oil, etc.
Take a few drops of essential oil and mix it with any carrier oil to make a nice blend.
Take 2- 3 drops of this mixture and massage it onto your forehead, the back of your neck, and your temples.
*Note: Take a patch test before applying the oil to your face and neck.
Step 1- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and pour it into a bowl.
Step 2- Add a few drops of essential oil to the hot water.
Step 3- Hover your face over the hot water bowl and place a towel over your head.
Step4 – Inhale the steam for a few minutes.
Step 1- Take a diffuser and switch it on.
Step 2- Add water to the diffuser till the watermarked level.
Step 3- Add essential oils to the diffuser through the nozzle provided.
Step 4- Sit back and enjoy the aroma of essential oils in your surrounding and heal your vertigo.
DIY Essential Oils Blend For Vertigo
DIY Recipe #1 – Essential Oil Blend To Treat Dizziness
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of ginger oil
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- Take a bowl and mix the two essential oils in the coconut oil to make a nice blend.
- Use this blend of essential oils and coconut oil and gently rub it at the base of your skull. This will help you get instant relief from dizziness.
DIY Recipe #2 – Essential Oil Inhaler For Vertigo
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops of rose oil
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of basil oil
- 1 drop of thyme oil
- Aromatherapy inhaler
- Take out the cotton wick from the inhaled and add all the above essential oils to it.
- Mix all the oils properly and blend them.
- Put the wick back and seal the inhaler.
- Take deep breaths of this blend whenever needed.
DIY Recipe #3 – Essential Oil Roller Blend For Vertigo
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 5 drops of ginger oil
- 2 drops of geranium oil
- Coconut oil (Or any carrier oil of your choice)
- 10 ml roller bottle
- Take the roller bottle and add all the essential oils to it.
- Fill the remaining space in the bottle with coconut oil.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly to mix all the oils properly.
- Seal the bottle properly and store it in a cool and dark place.
- Use this roller to apply oil on your temples, behind the ears, forehead, etc. to get relief from vertigo.
Essential oil is the perfect remedy for vertigo. People who experience vertigo feel a spinning sensation and sometimes also feel nauseous and dizzy. Essential oils have active ingredients that significantly reduce dizziness and nausea.
- Eric Yarnell. Alternative and Complementary Therapies. (2018). Herbs for Upper Digestive Overgrowth of Flora. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/act.2018.29176.eya
- Repository of Research and Investigative Information. Therapeutic Effect of Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Essential Oil on Patients with COVID19: A Randomized Clinical Trial. http://repository.zums.ac.ir/id/eprint/7783/
- Biomass Conversion and Biorefinery (2022) Synthesis of Ag/Fe2O3 nanocomposite from essential oil of ginger via green method and its bactericidal activity. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13399-022-03248-9
- Current Women’s Health Reviews, Volume 15, (2019) A Novel Approach on Review of Herbal Menstrual Cramps Relievers. https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cwhr/2019/00000015/00000003/art00007
- Frankincense Essential Oil as a Supportive Therapy for Cancer-Related Fatigue. https://journals.lww.com/hnpjournal/Abstract/2018/05000/Frankincense_Essential_Oil_as_a_Supportive_Therapy.5.aspx
- Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Science. Inhalation of Clary Sage Oil before Chemotherapy Alleviates Anxiety and Stress without Changing Blood Pressure: A Randomized Controlled Trial. https://koreascience.kr/article/JAKO202105650801293.page
- Bergamot Essential Oil Attenuates Anxiety-Like Behaviour in Rats. https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/22/4/614 Eucalyptus oil helps treat the issue of sinus https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=UsxTCAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT5&dq=Eucalyptus+oil+helps+treat+the+issue+of+sinus&ots=JWwxRDGqw0&sig=JLHQUCgeWkhe7FMKXxR-tm2dFDE&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Eucalyptus%20oil%20helps%20treat%20the%20issue%20of%20sinus&f=false
1 thought on “16+ Best Essential Oils For Vertigo And Dizziness : DIY Blends”