Joint pains can be very disturbing and can disrupt your day-to-day activity. Extreme knee and joint pain can irritate and frustrate you very quickly. There are over-the-counter medications that can help you get rid of joint pains. But these medications might have certain side effects. Thus many people search for natural remedies that have no side effects and are effective enough to offer relief from joint pains.
Essential oils are extracted from different parts of plants and thus have many medicinal and therapeutic properties that help you in varied manners. Today, essential oils are being used for many different purposes like skincare, hair care, and health care. Essential oils being natural extracts, are safe to use.
Essential oils are rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation and joint pain. Many Essential oils for inflammation can provide effective relief and soothing benefits because of these medicinal and therapeutic activities of essential oils, also known as a aromatherapy oils.
The essential oils not only help you feel better by releasing physical pain, but they also help you calm your mind. Essential oils help soothe both your body and mind.
Following are some of the top essential oils that you can use to achieve relief from joint pain and inflammation. These essential oils can also be used to treat arthritis pain and reduce inflammation. The essential oils have proved to relieve pain in rheumatoid arthritis as well.
Best Essential Oils For Joint Pain Relief
1. Lemongrass Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Lemongrass essential oil has been used in ayurvedic medicine for ages. It has natural astringent properties that help in draining excess fluid . It can offer relief from joint pains and can also reduce inflammation.
This astringent property also helps in reducing swelling and inflammation. One of the best Oil of lemongrass benefits is that it helps improve mobility, which is an issue when suffering from joint pains.
2. Lavender Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Lavender oil is one of the most commonly used essential oil. The lavender essential oil has relaxing and calming properties that help reduce stress and anxiety. Lavender oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that are most important in reducing pain and inflammation.
It also possesses analgesic properties that are known for their pain-relieving effects. Lavender oil also has sedative properties that promote better sleep. When suffering from pain, people find it difficult to sleep. This essential oil can help in improving sleep quality. Thus lavender oil has effects on both the brain and body and offers relief from pain.
Lavender oil also contains analgesic properties that offer relief from pain and fatigue. This is one of the most effective essential oils that can be used in aromatherapy for joint pain relief .
3. Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Eucalyptus oil has cooling properties that offer instant relief from pain and inflammation. Eucalyptus oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain . It also possesses antispasmodic properties that help in reducing pain and tension. You can use eucalyptus essential oil at 30-minute intervals.
Also, Eucalyptus essential oils for bursitis relief is a popular choice. Their anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties make them a natural remedy for soothing the pain and inflammation associated with this condition.
4. Rosemary Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Rosemary oil is another commonly used essential oil for pain relief. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce joint pains and knee pains. It can also be used to reduce arthritis pain. It can help people that have chronic joint pain .
5. Ginger Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Ginger oil is one of the ancient essential oils that is widely used for its medicinal and therapeutic properties. Ginger oil is used for many different skincare and healthcare purposes.
It contains anti-inflammatory properties like zingibain that helps reduce swelling, inflammation, and pain. Using ginger oil helps deal with muscle stiffness and joint stiffness and thus offers relief. Ginger oil also helps in increasing mobility which becomes difficult in joint pain. It is rich in anti-inflammatory properties .
6. Peppermint Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Peppermint oil has properties that can do wonders in offering relief from pain and inflammation. It is rich in cooling content, like menthol, that reduces pain, inflammation, and swelling. Menthol helps reduce muscle tension and discomfort and works wonders for pain . This is one of the oldest medicinal plants that is also being used to treat arthritis pain and its symptoms.
7. Chamomile Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Chamomile oil is majorly used in skincare and cosmetics. It has many purposes that can help treat different skincare and healthcare issues. Chamomile essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain and inflammation. It also possesses sedative properties that prove helpful in calming the nervous system and promoting good sleep.
8. Marjoram Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Marjoram oil has been used for ages to treat sprains and muscle stiffness. It can help offer relief from muscle spasms. Marjoram oil has analgesic properties that help in reducing swelling. It also contains antispasmodic properties that help reduce and relieve pain and inflammation.
This is one of the most effective essential oils to treat muscle pain and joint pain. It also has calming properties that can help induce better sleep. And it can be used to treat even minor discomfort in muscles.
9. Frankincense Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Frankincense oil is known for its anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that can offer instant relief in pain, swelling, and inflammation . Frankincense oil offer relief from discomfort and stress. It also contains sedative properties and is well known for promoting better sleep.
People who suffer from pain usually compliant about not being able to sleep well because of their joint pain. The use of frankincense oil can work on both physical and mental wellness.
10. Thyme Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Thyme oil has medicinal properties and has been used for ages for its cooling properties. Thyme oil contains an active compound called thymol that can reduce swelling and inflammation. Thyme oil can be used for joint and muscle pains and can help relieve minor discomfort. This oil can be used to ease the inflammation caused due to dysmenorrhea.
11. Wintergreen Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Wintergreen oil is indigenous to North America. This oil contains properties similar to aspirin called methyl salicylate that helps in reducing pain and inflammation. Thus it is a natural alternative solution to aspirin. Wintergreen essential oil is effective enough to relieve joint pain, muscle pain, back pain, and arthritis.
12. Clary Sage Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Clary sage is one of the essential oils that offers physical, mental, and emotional relief. This is one of the best oils that help reduce menstrual cramps . It is high in medicinal properties. It can help reduce the stress and anxiety that are usually witnessed by people suffering from joint pains. This is one of the best oils to engage your senses.
13. Helichrysum Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Helichrysum oil can be considered a holy grail essential oil for joint pain . It has natural pain-relieving properties that can offer relief from pain present anywhere in the body. It has antibiotic properties that help heal the body speedily. It is a warm oil and thus improves blood circulation, reducing inflammation and swelling of joint pain.
14. Black Pepper Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Black pepper is another warm oil that has properties to offer relief from pain and inflammation naturally . This ancient oil has been used for ages to treat many different skin and health issues. It is rich in anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it suitable for treating joint pain. You can also use black pepper essential oil for rheumatoid arthritis.
15. Rose Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Rose oil is a standard oil that many people prefer for different purposes. It has properties that can help reduce inflammation. It also helps in soothing irritated skin. Rose oil has calming properties that can work on depression and stress people go through while having joint pain. It also helps improve and lift mood instantly that calming the person.
16. Basil Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Basil oil is rich in therapeutic properties that can relieve many issues. Basil oil contains 1.8-cineole with anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce pain and inflammation. It also contains linalool, which has been proven to reduce swelling and thus can relieve joint swelling. Basil oil is also used to reduce arthritis pain and discomfort .
17. Turmeric Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Turmeric oil is one of the ancient essential oils that is being used for many different purposes. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation. It has the ability to treat arthritis and its symptoms of arthritis. According to a study, treatment with turmeric essential oil was useful in preventing joint swelling in animals .
18. Myrrh Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Myrrh oil has been added to this list because it contains anti-inflammatory properties that relieve joint pains. This oil can work effectively in amalgamation with frankincense oil to treat the pain of arthritis as well. It has properties that suppress inflammation of joints. You can use this essential oil to relieve aches and pain in different body parts.
19. Orange Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Orange oil belongs to the citrus oils category, which can offer relief from inflammation. Orange oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties that help fight pain. It is also rich in antioxidants, making it an effective essential oil to deal with joint pain, muscle pain, spasms, stiffness, etc. Orange oil has also proved its effectiveness in treating arthritis .
20. Copaiba Essential Oil for Joint Pain
Copaiba oil can offer relief from pain. Its continuous use for massaging purposes can result in reduced joint pain. This oil can be used to deal with arthritis pain, swelling and inflammation .
Benefits Of Essential Oils In Reducing Joint Pain
People suffering from joint pain know how difficult it is for them to move here and there quickly. They are in continuous discomfort and pain, and in some cases, this pain can be extreme. Essential oils are plant extracts and, thus, are natural remedies that can be used without worrying much about side effects.
Medicinal and therapeutic properties
Essential oils have been there from past thousands of years. It is rich in medicinal and therapeutic properties like anti-inflammatory properties, analgesic, antioxidant, antibiotic, antispasmodic, antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, antiviral, and antiseptic properties. Thus, it can potentially treat different skin related to health-related conditions.
Essential oils can be massaged to get relief from joint inflammation. It can also be used as aromatherapy to offer relief from joint pain. Different essential oils have unique scents that can help you calm, release stress and anxiety, and lift your mood.
Essential oils contain sedative properties and help induce better sleep which becomes difficult when in pain. It has natural calming properties that can help you calm your mind and body. It also has healing properties that help heal quickly.
Reduces joint swelling
Essential oils help reduce joint swelling, commonly witnessed when suffering from joint pain.
How To Use Essential Oils For Joint Pain And Inflammation Relief?
There are different methods by which essential oils can be used to reduce joint pain:
This is a commonly used method to get rid of joint pain. Follow the below steps to massage with essential oils for joint pain relief:
Step 1- Select the essential oil of your choice from the above list and select the carrier oil. Carrier oils include coconut oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, jojoba oil, apricot oil, almond oil, etc. Essential oils are highly concentrated and thus cannot be used directly on the skin. Using essential oils directly on the skin can irritate your skin and cause redness and inflammation.
Step 2- Dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil. You can dilute 10 to 15 drops of an essential oil in 1 ounce of carrier oil. Mix the oils well to make a mixture.
Step 3- Massage the diluted oil in a circular motion around the joint pain for 10 to 15 minutes. You can follow the same procedure two to three times a day.
Essential oils for aromatherapy are also a commonly used option for treating joint pain and its symptoms.
- Add a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball, and you can smell it throughout the day.
- You can add a few drops of essential oil to your bath and immerse yourself in enjoying the therapeutic benefits of essential oil and getting relief from joint pain.
- You can also add essential oil in a spray bottle and water and spray it in your surroundings. You can also spray this mixture on your temples and pulses.
You can diffuse essential oils using an essential oil diffuser that will help spread the minute particles of essential oil all over your surroundings, help you calm down, and promote better health.
Risks and precautions
There are certain risks of using essential oils, and thus precautions need to be ensured while using essential oils to reduce joint pain.
- The majority of essential oils are safe, though there are certain oils that need proper precaution and care. Citrus essential oils are sun and light-sensitive. Thus, proper precautions need to be undertaken to avoid direct sun exposure when using citrus essential oils.
- Avoid using undiluted essential oil as it can cause redness, irritation, inflammation, etc. Always dilute it with a carrier oil before topical application.
- Avoid using essential oils if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Always take a patch test before applying essential oils to the affected area to see if there is any allergic reaction. If you experience any sort of discomfort or allergic reaction, then immediately discontinue the use of essential oils and consult your doctor.
- Avoid using excess essential oils.
- Avoid ingestion of essential oils.
Essential oils are made from plant extracts. Essential oils have been around for thousands of years and are used for different purposes. Keeping a bottle of essential oil handy can come with many different uses. Essential oils can relieve joint and muscular discomfort. It also helps relieve pain and increase movement of the joints.
Essential oils are also effective at preventing joint swelling. You can also use essential oils for knee pain and stiffness. You can also use essential oils for arthritis. If you are suffering from chronic or severe joint pain, you can also use medications with essential oils. Many studies have been undertaken that have reported less pain in knee and joint pain after the use of essential oils.
Frequently Asked Questions
What essential oil is good for joint pain?
Lemongrass oil, lavender oil, eucalyptus oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, rose oil, orange oil, black pepper oil, turmeric oil, ginger oil, frankincense oil, chamomile oil, myrrh oil, helichrysum oil, copaiba oil, basil oil, clary sage oil, wintergreen oil, thyme oil, and marjoram oil are some of the essential oils good for joint pain.
How to mix an essential oil for joint pain?
You need to dilute essential oil with any carrier oil before applying it. Carrier oils include olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, etc. You can mix 10 to 15 drops of essential oil with 1 ounce of carrier oil for application in joint pain.
Do Essential Oils Help With Joint pain?
Yes. Essential oils contain anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that help in reducing pain, swelling and inflammation. Certain essential oils also help improve circulation thus improving joint inflammation.
- Rafia Rehman University of Okara. (2016). Lemongrass: a review on its botany, properties, applications and active components. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336134806_Lemongrass_a_review_on_its_botany_properties_applications_and_active_components.
- The Effects of Aromatherapy Massage and Reflexology on Pain and Fatigue in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. (2016). https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301344191_The_Effects_of_Aromatherapy_Massage_and_Reflexology_on_Pain_and_Fatigue_in_Patients_with_Rheumatoid_Arthritis_A_Randomized_Controlled_Trial.
- Yang Suk Jun,Purum Kang,Sun Seek Min ,Jeong-Min Lee,Hyo-Keun Kim,and Geun Hee Seol. (2013). Effect of Eucalyptus Oil Inhalation on Pain and Inflammatory Responses after Total Knee Replacement: A Randomized Clinical Trial. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/502727/.
- Nima Nakisa, Mahboobeh Ghasemzadeh Rahbardar. (2022). Therapeutic Potential of Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis L.) on Sports Injuries: a Review of Patents. https://www.rjpharmacognosy.ir/article_148285_70a90c29ebd22ea461f44f2ff7d2a14a.pdf.
- Janet L. Funk, Jennifer B. Frye, Janice N. Oyarzo, Jianling Chen, Huaping Zhang, and Barbara N. Timmermann. (2016). Anti-Inflammatory Effects of the Essential Oils of Ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) in Experimental Rheumatoid Arthritis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5115784/.
- Balakrishnan, Aishwarya. (2015). Therapeutic Uses of Peppermint -A Review. https://www.proquest.com/openview/0fcb7e61eaa5900ea403b14471dd0145/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=54977.
- Mulgeta Lemenith. (2005). Frankincense and myrrh resources of Ethiopia: II. Medicinal and industrial uses. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/sinet/article/view/18213.
- Monica Richards. (2017). Women’s Health: Aromatherapy for Menstruation & Menopause. https://www.massagetoday.com/articles/15375/Women’s-Health:-Aromatherapy-for-Menstruation-%26-Menopause.
- The Healing Intelligence of Essential Oils: The Science of Advanced Aromatherapy. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=Ol0oDwAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT7&dq=Helichrysum+oil+can+be+considered+a+holy+grail+essential+oil+for+joint+pain&ots=9liUls_LYK&sig=0hssEOAYaC4hdGJjA3zwx7FJOoM&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Leila Gorgani,Maedeh Mohammadi,Ghasem D. Najafpour,Maryam Nikzad. (2016). Piperine—The Bioactive Compound of Black Pepper: From Isolation to Medicinal Formulations. https://ift.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/1541-4337.12246.
- Alciléia Nunes Yamada. Anti-inflammatory Activity of Ocimum americanum L. Essential Oil in Experimental Model of Zymosan-Induced Arthritis. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/253337282_Anti-inflammatory_Activity_of_Ocimum_americanum_L_Essential_Oil_in_Experimental_Model_of_Zymosan-Induced_Arthritis.
- James W. Daily, Mini Yang, and Sunmin Park. Efficacy of Turmeric Extracts and Curcumin for Alleviating the Symptoms of Joint Arthritis: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/full/10.1089/jmf.2016.3705.
- Davood Hekmatpou, Yasaman Pourandish, Pouran Varvani Farahani, and Ramin Parvizrad. The Effect of Aromatherapy with the Essential Oil of Orange on Pain and Vital Signs of Patients with Fractured Limbs Admitted to the Emergency Ward: A Randomized Clinical Trial. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5661347/.
- Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. Volume 33, November 2018, Pages 170-176. Effects of a massage-like essential oil application procedure using Copaiba and Deep Blue oils in individuals with hand arthritis. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1744388118304079?via%3Dihub.