Bruises are dark patches on your skin that can happen for several reasons. It results in discoloration of the skin of that particular area because of the ruptured blood vessels below the skin. This discoloration of the skin is a result of blood clotting in that specific area.
Essential oil is one of the most commonly used natural remedies to deal with different skin issues easily in the comfort of your home. Essential oils have the ability to take your skincare game to the next level. It has many uses, and one such use is to treat bruises.
Essential oils have natural healing properties and has many medicinal and health benefits. Thus, it can be used to treat bruises naturally. The use of essential oils can help treat discoloration of the skin and reduce the pain, if any, due to bruises on the skin.
Best Essential Oils For Bruises
Following are some of the best essential oils to treat bruises
1. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense essential oil has proved to be effective in treating bruises. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in pain relief caused due to bruises. It has healing properties that can help get rid of bruises quickly and offer relaxation. This is considered one of the best essential oils for bruises. (1)
How to Use: Use this oil after diluting it with any carrier oil, and massage the affected area gently.
2. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum oil is an incredible essential oil and is one of the most popular essential oils used for bruises. According to a study conducted in the year 2013, it has been found out that helichrysum oil has anti-hematomal properties, which help in getting quick relief from bruises.
Helichrysum essential oil is also regarded as one of the best essential oils for sore muscles relief, thanks to its anti-inflammatory and tissue regenerating properties which can relieve muscle aches and support recovery.
How to Use: Applying this oil immediately on a bruise after its appearance can help reduce the size of the bruise, and the bruise will fade away quickly. Helichrysum oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing inflammation caused due to bruises and offers relief from pain.
3. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is one of the most famous essential oils used for many different purposes. Lavender oil has natural healing properties that help reduce the pain caused by bruises. It also helps in reducing the size of the bruises if applied immediately after the appearance of the bruise.
Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory properties, and this helps reduce pain and inflammation from bruises. It promotes wound healing and offers you relaxation. (2). Lavender essential oil facilitates collagen production, which is required for new tissue generation. It can be used with any carrier oils or by diluting it in creams or moisturizers.
Furthermore, lavender oil is very effective for relieving menstrual cramps thanks to its analgesic and antispasmodic properties. It is commonly blended with clary sage and marjoram oils as one of the best essential oil for menstrual cramps.
4. Turmeric Essential Oil
Turmeric is one of the most ancient natural remedies used for medicinal and health-related uses. Turmeric oil has anti-inflammatory properties and can offer relief from bruise pain. It can be used for topical usage as it can help tissue injury.
With its rich, earthy aroma, turmeric oil benefits is not only just therapeutic but also a delightful addition to aromatherapy.
Studies prove that turmeric essential oil can be used along with frankincense essential oil to increase its effectiveness and reduce bruises quickly.
5. Yarrow Essential Oil
Yarrow oil has healing properties, offers pain relief, and reduces the appearance of bruises on the skin. Yarrow oil is used on different types of bruises.
6. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass essential oil has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that can help in treating nasty bruises effectively and speedily. It also offers relief from pain. This lemongrass oil can be diluted with any carrier oil, and then it should be applied to the affected area.
7. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium oil can treat pain, bruises, and swelling. (3). Geranium oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help get rid of inflammation if any over the bruises. Geranium oil increases the blood circulation of the affected area and thus helps in getting rid of bruises quickly.
Geranium oil should be used after diluting it with other carrier oils. Geranium has healing properties and this help in repairing damaged tissue.
8. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress oil is rich in antiseptic properties, which are necessary for treating bruises. It can help dissolve the blood clot underneath the skin. It helps promote blood circulation and thus speeds up the bruise-healing process.
Cypress oil has anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce pain and swelling by facilitating blood flow. It has antispasmodic properties that help in soothing muscle strain, if any, near the bruise, which can also help speedily reduce the bruise.
Also, must read about: Best Essential Oils For Skin Repair
9. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary essential oil has antioxidant properties, which effectively treat bruise pain. Using rosemary oil helps reduce infection and inflammation and thus helps speedily treat bruises. This is possible because rosemary oil has cineole in it, which helps reduce infection.
10. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the most famous essential oils used for many different purposes. It has natural healing properties and antiseptic properties that help reduce pain. Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory properties, which effectively treat bruises.
Tea tree oil has wound-healing properties, and this makes it one of the best essential oils for treating bruises.(4) It also has antiviral and antibacterial properties that help fight bruises and their impact on the skin. It can also be used to restrict the bruises from getting worse.
11. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint Essential Aromatherapy Oil has many health and medicinal benefits. It can repair damaged tissues and increase the circulation of blood vessels. This facilitates the effective flow of blood under the bruised skin, helps reduce pain, and offers quick recovery from bruises.
12. Hyssop Essential Oil
Hyssop oil can be used to get pain relief. It can heal bruises if applied regularly for a few days on the affected area. Hyssop oil helps in reducing swelling of the bruised area.(5) It improves the blood circulation around the bruise and helps in quickly healing the bruise scar. Hyssop oil should be used after diluting it with a carrier oil.
13. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile essential oil is another commonly used essential oil for treating different skin issues. Chamomile oil has cicatrisant properties that help in treating marks of bruises on the skin. With regular use of chamomile essential oil, the bruise can disappear in a few days. It should be diluted with any carrier oil and used for topical application
14. Aloe Vera Essential Oil
Aloe vera oil is a commonly used natural remedy for dealing with different skin conditions. Aloe vera oil has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce pain. Aloe vera oil can be used for reducing bruises as it helps improve blood circulation around the bruise.
15. Arnica Essential Oil
Arnica oil is extracted from Arnica Montana.(6) Arnica essential oil has proved to be used for reducing bruises as well as discoloration of the skin. Its regular use can help get recovery from bruises quickly. Arnica oil helps in reducing pain.(7) It should be used in diluted form by mixing it with other carrier oils.
16. Wormwood Essential Oil
Wormwood essential oil is famous for its wound-healing properties. It offers relief from pain as it has anti-inflammation properties. It has natural healing properties and thus helps reduce swelling caused due to bruises.
17. Rosehip Seed Essential Oil
The use of rosehip essential oil helps deal with the discoloration of the skin and facilitates the speedy recovery of bruises. (8) Rosehip oil has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which are useful in reducing pain and swelling of bruises.
18. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus has natural healing properties, and it helps in decreasing pain. It also relieves irritation on the skin, if any, around the bruise. The regular use of eucalyptus oil helps in speedily recovering from the bruise and offers relief in any sort of discomfort.
19. Sweet Marjoram Essential Oil
Marjoram oil has healing properties and can give relief from pain around bruises. Marjoram oil also promotes blood circulation, which is very helpful in increasing the flow of blood around the bruises. This helps in fading away the bruises quickly.
20. Fennel Oil
Fennel essential oil has soothing properties. It can give relief from pain and swelling. Fennel oil has healing properties that help heal acute soft tissue injuries and thus help recover bruises. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and inflammation in the affected area. (9)
That’s Why Fennel Oil stands out as an effective player in the realm of essential oils for inflammation. With its potent anti-inflammatory properties, Fennel Oil offers natural relief from discomfort and helps reduce inflammation. Adding this versatile oil to your wellness toolkit can be a beneficial step in managing inflammation and promoting overall well-being.
21. Myrrh Essential Oil
Myrrh oil is rich in astringent and anti-inflammatory properties that help in soothing and calming bruised skin. It has natural healing properties that can speed up the healing process. Myrrh oil is a commonly used oil for treating different skin issues and healing the skin naturally.
What Are The Benefits Of Essential Oils For Bruises?
Anti-inflammatory essential oils possess a myriad of medicinal properties that aid in alleviating symptoms such as swelling, irritation, and pain associated with bruises. Beyond their anti-inflammatory benefits, these essential oils also exhibit antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antimicrobial characteristics, making them effective in addressing various skin conditions.ShareSave
Essential oils are also rich in analgesic, antiseptic and antioxidant properties that help facilitate the healing process of wounds. Thus one can use essential oils to eliminate the bruises.
Below are some of the major benefits of essential oils for bruises
- It fights against infections
- It reduces pain
- It helps reduce swelling
- It facilitates wound healing
- It decreases inflammation
- It promotes collagen production that is essential for new skin tissue generation
- It even outs the skin tone and helps reduce bruising scar
- It increases blood circulation
- It helps fade away the discoloration of the skin
- It soothes the skin and speeds up the bruise-healing process.
What Are Some Of The Home Remedies To Treat Bruises Using Essential Oil Blends? | DIY Essential Oils Blend Recipes
Essential oil is one of the commonly used natural remedies to treat bruises. It can be used to make easy DIY recipes at home for getting rid of bruises. Following are some of the DIY recipes for essential oils that you can try to reduce your bruises.
# DIY 1 – Essential Oil Roller Blend Recipe For Bruises
Essential oil roller blend helps in treating bruises effectively. With the help of below DIY recipe you can make your own essential oil roller blend at home to treat your bruises:
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- 10 drops of geranium essential oil
- 10 drops of helichrysum oil
- 10 drops of frankincense oil
- 10 drops lemongrass oil
- Coconut oil (carrier oil)
- Rollerball – 15 ml
Direction to Use:
- Pour all the essential oils into the roller bottle and fill the rest of the space with coconut oil.
- Give a gentle shake to mix all the ingredients properly.
- Store this blend in a cool place away from direct sun exposure.
- Use the roller to apply it to the bruise.
# DIY 2 – Essential Oil Recipe For Bruise
- 10 drops helichrysum oil
- 10 drops of lavender oil
- Jojoba oil (carrier oil)
- 30 ml glass bottle
Direction to Use:
- Pour helichrysum and lavender essential oils into the glass bottle and fill the rest of the space with jojoba oil.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly in the glass bottle.
- Store the bottle in a cool place.
- Use 5 to 6 drops of this essential oil blend to massage the bruise.
- You can apply this blend twice a day until the bruise completely fades away.
# DIY 3 – Essential Oil Blend To Apply In Undiluted Form Over The Bruise
- Lavender oil
- Tea tree oil
Direction to Use:
- Take 2 to 3 drops of any one of the above oil.
- Apply it directly on the bruise.
- Massage the area for 5 minutes.
- Repeat this twice a day until complete relief is achieved.
# DIY 4 – Essential Oil Blend For Quick Healing Of The Bruise
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops lemongrass oil
- 5 drops of arnica oil
- 5 drops peppermint oil
- 5 drops of geranium oil
- Coconut oil (Carrier oil)
- 15 ml glass bottle
Direction to Use:
- Mix all the above essential oils in the glass bottle.
- Fill the remaining space with coconut oil
- Give a gentle shake to the bottle to mix well all the ingredients.
- Store the blend in a cool place.
- Take 5 drops of this blend and apply and massage it over the bruise to see speedy recovery from a bruise
# DIY 5 – Essential Oil Blend To Make A Cooling Gel For Bruise Recovery
- 5 drops of cypress oil
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops of arnica oil
- 5 drops helichrysum oil
- 3 drops of geranium oil
- 3 drops peppermint oil
- 4 tablespoon aloe vera gel
- 50 ml glass jar
Direction to Use:
- Mix all the above essential oils in aloe vera gel and whisk it thoroughly.
- Transfer this mixture to the glass jar and cover it tightly.
- Store this mixture in a cool and dry place.
- Please wash your hands before using it to dip in the jar to take the gel and apply it to the bruised area.
- You can apply this mixture twice a day.
- Repeat this process until the bruise fades away completely.
# DIY 6 – Kid-Friendly Essential Oils Blend For Bruises
- 2 drops of helichrysum oil
- 1 drop of frankincense oil
- 1 drop of lavender oil
- 1 drop of cypress oil
- Coconut oil (carrier oil)
- 10 ml roller bottle
Direction to Use:
- Fill all the essential oils and coconut oil in the roller bottle.
- Shake the bottle to mix the blend properly.
- Store the roller bottle in a cool place.
- Apply the roller blend on the affected area that bruises your kid.
How To Use Essential Oils To Treat Bruises?
You can keep in mind the following steps to heal your bumps and bruise quickly.
Step 1: Use Ice
As soon as your skin ruptures and you get a bruise, use some ice and put it on the affected area. If ice is unavailable, you can take any frozen item and put it on the bruise. This will help in reducing the chances of swelling and will also help reduce pain.
Step 2- Don’t Massage Immediately.
Massaging the bruise immediately might lead to the spread of the bruise. Hence, it should be avoided.
Step 3- Apply Essential Oils Blend.
Apply any of the above-mentioned essential oils blend on your bruise. It will cool down your ruptured skin and will give you relief from pain and swelling. The essential oil has healing properties and will help reduce the bruise quickly.
*Remember: Avoid using undiluted essential oil directly on the bruise, as it might cause irritation because of its high concentration.
Precautions To Take While Using Essential Oils For Bruises
The essential oil can cause irritation and discomfort sometimes, and in order to avoid this, it is important to take care of certain things.
- Avoid using essential oils in undiluted form. It is recommended to dilute the essential oil with any carrier oil, like coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, argon oil, etc., before applying it on the skin.
- Avoid using excess essential oils. It can be used twice a day until the bruise completely fades away.
- Essential oils should be used for external use only.
- Before applying it to the affected area, it is recommended to do a patch test to find out if there is any allergic reaction or not.
- If you experience any allergic reaction or irritation on the skin, avoid further using essential oils.
Essential oils are great at naturally healing wounds. Essential oils are a popular home remedy that can help treat different skin issues. Its use can help bruises heal faster as it promotes healing. Using essential oils at home is very easy and convenient, though one should keep in mind that essential oils can be applied in diluted form, or else they can cause skin irritation.
So, it is important to learn how to use essential oils to eliminate bruises and symptoms of bruising effectively. One should use essential oil with carrier oil and gently massage the affected area to reduce bruises. In this article, many DIY recipes have been included that suggest some essential oils blend for offering relief from bruises.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which essential oils are best for bruises?
Helichrysum oil, frankincense, lavender, chamomile, tea tree, turmeric, yarrow, lemongrass, geranium oil, cypress, rosemary, rosehip, hyssop, peppermint, arnica, wormwood, eucalyptus, marjoram, fennel, and myrrh are the best essential oils for bruises.
Is Tea Tree Oil Good for bruises?
Yes. Tea tree oil is rich in antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and healing properties which are helpful in healing bruises. Tea tree oil helps reduce bruises, pain and swelling.
Is Frankincense Oil Good for bruises?
Yes. Frankincense oil is known for its healing properties that helps heal bruises quickly. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and relaxes.
- REJI KIZHAKKEDATH. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. EFFICACY AND TOLERABILITY OF AN ESSENTIAL OIL FORMULATION CONTAINING OIL OF BOSWELLIA SERRATA AND CURCUMA LONGA IN PATIENTS WITH ACUTE SOFT TISSUE INJURIES: A RANDOMIZED, OPEN LABEL, PILOT STUDY. https://innovareacademics.in/journal/ijpps/Vol5Issue1/6272.pdf
- BMC Complement Altern Med. (2016). Wound healing potential of lavender oil by acceleration of granulation and wound contraction through induction of TGF-β in a rat model. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4880962/
- Research Journal of Medicinal Plant. Topical Herbal Therapies an Alternative and Complementary Choice to Combat Acne. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270950972_Topical_Herbal_Therapies_an_Alternative_and_Complementary_Choice_to_Combat_Acne?enrichId=rgreq-ae50948c120f82d5869d83740cba5bf0-XXX&enrichSource=Y292ZXJQYWdlOzI3MDk1MDk3MjtBUzo1MjQ3NDAyODk5MjkyMTdAMTUwMjExOTI0MjU4MA%3D%3D&el=1_x_3&_esc=publicationCoverPdf
- Karen B. Chin. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Vol. 19, No. 12. The Effect of Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) on Wound Healing Using a Dressing Model. https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/acm.2012.0787
- Alan M. Dattner. From medical herbalism to phytotherapy in dermatology: back to the future. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1529-8019.2003.01618.x
- Priyanka Kriplani. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, Volume 69, Issue 8, (2017) Arnica montana L. – a plant of healing: review. https://academic.oup.com/jpp/article/69/8/925/6127789
- Samir A. Kouzi, Ph.D. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy.(2007). Arnica for bruising and swelling. https://academic.oup.com/ajhp/article-abstract/64/23/2434/5135020
- Rose hips as complementary and alternative medicine: overview of the present status and prospects. https://content.iospress.com/articles/mediterranean-journal-of-nutrition-and-metabolism/mnm6-2-02
- Mohamed Hussein HamdyRoby. Industrial Crops and Products. (2013) Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of essential oil and extracts of fennel (Foeniculum vulgare L.) and chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla L.). https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S092666901200564X