A blend of 4 different essential oils, PanAway Essential Oil is a well-known pain-relieving essential oil blend. The oil has widespread use in pain management. Let us find out more about PanAway essential oil.
What Is PanAway Essential Oil?
PanAway essential oil is blend or combination or mix of four different essential oils. These four oils used in the oil blend nicknamed pain away are:
- Clove essential oil (Eugenia caryophyllus)
- Wintergreen essential oil (Gaultheria procumbens)
- Helichrysum essential oil (Helichrysum italicum)
- Peppermint essential oil (Mentha piperita)
Clove Essential Oil – This essential oil with a strong spicy aroma is extracted from the clove tree. This oil has good antioxidant properties and is used to treat many ailments. It helps with stress and headaches. A 2012 study published in the Brazilian Journal of Microbiology has ascertained the antimicrobial activities of the oil. (1)
Wintergreen Essential Oil – This plant oil contains the therapeutic methyl salicylate and is extracted from the shrub leaves of Gaultheria procumbens. It is a good analgesic and used in the treatment of lower back pain. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in 2014 published a study that investigated the use of herbal remedies in controlling chronic lower back pain. (2)
Helichrysum Essential Oil – Derived from the plant belonging to the sunflower family of plants, helichrysum has antioxidant, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. It is good for the nervous system health. A 2013 study analyzed the chemical composition of this oil. The oil was found to be rich in oxygenated monoterpenes and sesquiterpene hydrocarbons. It is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome. (3)
Peppermint Essential Oil – Extracted from the leaves of the peppermint plant, this oil is an excellent expectorant due to the presence of menthol content. It is a good oil to be used for athletes and fitness enthusiasts. The Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine (AJP) in 2014 published a study that investigated the effect of peppermint on exercise performance. (4)
This blend was created by a young man who had major problems with the ligament in the legs. The calculated concoction was high in anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. These properties were especially useful in treating physical pain. Besides relieving pain, panaway essential oil also speeds up the healing process, increases blood circulation, and deals with discomfort during menstruation.
The four ingredients (essential oils) in the blend have been thoroughly researched and blend well together. Each of the oils has good organic properties that can treat several health-related issues, even as standalone oil. The health benefits of the oils are due to the presence of the compounds including limonene, alpha and beta pinene, eugenol and methyl salicylate. These compounds give the oil its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
A study published on November 2016 by Dr Shaheen E. Lakha and team evaluated the effect of aromatherapy on pain. The research tested both forms of aromatherapy – topical through the skin and olfaction through the nose. The study did meta-analysis to determine the effect of aromatherapy on pain.
It was found that aromatherapy was very effective in pain management when combined with other conventional treatments. It also found that aromatherapy was one of the most effective treatments for postoperative pain. (5)
Panaway Essential Oil Benefits
What are the benefits of panaway essential oil? We all know that the oil was formulated to treat physical pain, but besides pain management this amalgamation of four different essential oils has its string of benefits.
Pain can be of different kinds. The oil has been reportedly used for managing inflammatory diseases, chronic pain, boosting blood flow in the body, lowering headaches, stress and anxiety and for other health issues. Let’s find out the benefits of panaway essential oil.
1. Chronic Pain Relief Oil
The primary reason for this oil’s existence is for getting relief from pain in the legs. To this date the oil is very effective in managing pain pertaining to the lower back and legs. It is also applied on the joints to treat pain resulting from autoimmune disorders or due to accidents.
The powerful analgesic properties of the oil is useful for those trying to recover from chronic injuries, those recovering from surgeries, people who frequent the gym and are bothered with the wear and tear of the muscles, and athletes (and artists such as dancers) who train everyday for events. Panaway essential oil is highly recommended for those doing strenuous work.
Clove essential oil is one of the ingredients in panaway essential oil. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine on April 2011 published a study that investigated the analgesic properties of clove essential oil. This study was done on lab mice with a hot plate test. Several results showed that clove oil had analgesic properties. It also has antibacterial effects. (6)
2. Inflammation Reducing Oil
Inflammation is not something that one can take lightly. If left untreated it can lead to long term complicated illnesses. And the scary part is that inflammation is a common occurrence in the body. Muscle strains and joint pains are quite common. But, panaway essential oil engulfs the best of four different essential oils, each powerful enough to treat inflammation.
Using the oil on the affected regions increases blood to flow to the region. The oxygenated blood with good nutrition soothes inflammation. On November 2006 BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies published a report on study that analyzed the properties of essential oils. (7)
3. Oil for Mitigating Menstrual Cramps
Besides its analgesic properties, this oil has anti-spasmodic qualities. It is hence a natural way of treating menstrual cramps. Menstruation can be quite distress for some women and the oil not only reduces spasms, but lowers the pain as well.
Another problem that accompanies menstruation is mood swings. The psychological aspect of menstruation can also be taken care of the aroma of panaway oil. The oil has a soothing effect that lowers stress and balances the mood. The Royal Society For Public Health on March 2001 published a study on peppermint oil, which highlights the properties of the oil. (8)
4. Essential Oil For Headache
Panaway oil is an aromatic powerhouse. And like most essential oil, when inhaled, the aroma quickly affect the limbic system and stimulates it. This results in lower blood pressure and balanced hormones. By regulating the hormone system of the endocrine system, the oil lowers headache. This oil is beneficial to those bothered with seasonal migraines and tension headaches. Just a few drops of the oil are enough to activate the limbic system and lower headache.
On June 1994, Cephalalgia published a study on the effect of peppermint oil on headaches. The oil had mentally relaxing effect. The aromatic compounds regulate stress hormone levels and releases relaxant chemicals in the body. Uses for panaway essential oil include tackling inflammatory conditions and muscle aches with its pain-relieving properties. (9)
5. Increase Energy With Panaway Oil
Panaway is a blend of four essential oils. Inhaling the aroma of this blended oil promotes blood flow and increases energy levels. The aroma of the oil can be inhaled with the help of an aroma diffuser. A 2005 study published in Phytomedicine investigated the pharmacodynamic effect of peppermint essential oil. (10)
6. Oil To Boost Immune System Function
All four essential oils in panaway have antibacterial, antioxidant and antiseptic qualities, but clove oil is the most potent in terms of these qualities. It is efficient in eliminating microbes and fungus, thus aiding the immune system in keeping the body free of foreign agents.
When the oil is used on a regular basis it stimulate the production of white blood cells (WBCs) in the body. The antioxidant properties also neutralize the free radicals and keeps oxidative stress out. Thus the immune system, with the aid of panaway oil, gets strengthened. The 2013 issue of the Journal of Essential Oil Research published a study that evaluated the bacterial effect of clove oil. (11)
7. Lower Anxiety With Essential Oil
Peppermint and wintergreen oils in panaway oil gives it its soothing and relaxing qualities which are used to reduce anxiety levels. By controlling anxiety levels early on, the oil maybe able to prevent depression in people. Besides, essential oils are known to be excellent complementary treatment for depression.
The Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice on February 2022 published a placebo controlled study on peppermint oil and its effect on anxiety in cardiac patients. In this clinical trial, there were 64 participants. One group of patients was told to inhale peppermint aroma for one hour. There was a significant change in the anxiety levels. (12) Use this essential oil as massage oil to help reduce stress hormone and lower head and body ache.
8. Oil For Digestion
The active compounds pinene and cineol have gut-soothing abilities. It lowers the inflammation in the stomach due to antispasmodic effects thus promoting its function. The mixture of oils also regulates the bacteria level in the stomach thus boosting digestion, and preventing flatulence and indigestion. Panaway oil is good for overall gastrointestinal function.
Panaway Essential Oil Uses
With so many benefits, panaway essential oil also has many uses. This essential oil is used in cosmetics, for therapeutics and domestic uses. Let’s find out some of the uses of panaway essential oil.
Essential Oil Blend for Massage
Essential oils are generally bended with other essential oils before a massage. However, in case of panaway oil, there is no need to blend the oil as it is a blend of 4 different and superior oils. The oil has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antioxidant properties due to the presence of active ingredients including eugenol and menthol. The effect of panaway essential oil can be enhanced by adding a few more essential oils to it.
How To Use Panaway Oil For Massage
- Take 10 drops of panaway essential oil, and blend it with lavender essential oil and tea tree essential oil. Eucalyptus essential oil can also be taken.
- Do not take more that 25 drops of the essential oils.
- Add this essential oil mix to half a cup of your favorite vegetable oil.
- Carrier oils (vegetable oils) are used to dilute the essential oils.
- The cheapest and easiest to get carrier oil for massaging are coconut oil or jojoba oil. However, sweet almond oil, castor oil and olive oils can also be used.
- Mix the oils well.
- Now, apply the oils on the body. If you can ask a masseur to massage the oil then it works wonders. If not, massage the oil into the body.
- Relax for a few hours. At least wait for half an hour before washing off the oil from the body.
- Perform massages with panaway oil at least twice a month.
Use Essential Oil As Room Freshener
Panaway essential oil is made by mixing 4 essential oils. Out of the four oils the aroma of wintergreen and peppermint are intense. Both these oils are used in air fresheners. So, panaway essential oil can also be used in making a room freshener and spraying around the house. The antimicrobial properties of the oil eliminate foreign invaders from the house.
How To Make Room Freshener With PanAway Oil?
- Take a small bottle sprayer.
- Add 20 drops of panaway oil to it.
- Fill the rest with water.
- Shake the bottle and spray it in the house, behind the curtains and under the bed to keep the aroma lingering.
Essential Oil For Bath
Panaway oil has a good aroma and therapeutic properties. A few drops of the oil can be added to the bath water along with Epsom salt. A bath with panaway oil infused water rejuvenates the body and the mind, it eliminates toxins from the skin, and hydrates the hair and skin.
Must Read: Best Essential Oils for Bath
How To Use PanAway Oil For Bathing?
The best way would be if you have a bath tub. Add twenty drops of panaway oil and Epsom salt to the bath water. Soak yourself for half an hour in the water to feel relaxed.
Essential Oil For Meditation
Aromatherapy with essential oil is used to calm the mind. Meditation is done to calm the mind. Combining both these practices calms the mind even more. The expectorant properties of the oil ensure proper breathing while mediating. The oil is also a natural relaxant; hence, it makes the task of meditation easier.
How To Do Meditation With PanAway Essential Oil?
- Buy an aroma diffuser. It is the best way to perform aromatherapy.
- A humidifier will also do the trick, but it depends on your preference.
- Now, depending on the size of the room take 5 to 8 drops of PanAway essential oil and add it to the diffuser.
- Close the room and once the aroma has spread to the entire room sit in a meditative pose and start deep inhalations.
- If the aroma is overwhelming, open the windows for a few minutes to subdue the aroma.
Clean Rooms With essential Oil
The essential oils blend of panaway has antimicrobial and antifungal properties which can eliminate the viruses and bacteria from a room or house. The oil can be applied on the floor and furniture or can be used to wipe out airborne pathogens. A clean house automatically boosts your immune powers.
How To Use PanAway Oil To Clean House?
There are two ways of using panaway oil to clean the house: –
- Add some drops of the essential oil to a bucket of water and mix well. Use a mop to wipe the floor with the water. This same method can be used to clean and disinfect table surfaces and furniture.
- Add 20 drops of panaway oil to a small bottle sprayer. Fill the rest with water. Shake the bottle before use and spray it in the house, behind the curtains, and under the bed to keep eliminate air borne pathogens.
Other Uses Of Panaway Essential Oil
- Panaway oil is believed to be the best essential oil to be applied on the body after exercising. It is hence, recommended to athlete and people who do intense workouts.
- People who have a sedentary life style and job are troubled with neck and lower back pain.
- Dilute panaway essential oil in a carrier oil and massage these areas regularly.
- Dilute the oil and apply on sore and stiff muscles.
- Apply on the stomach to deal with cramps and stiffness in the morning.
- Just a few drops with a tablespoon of neutral oil are enough for mitigating joint pain.
- To relieve tension headache and migraines, rub this oil on the forehead, temples, back of the neck and ears.
- In case of any physical injury, apply the oil immediately to reduce pain and swelling.
- In case of regular pains, dilute the oil and store it in a glass bottle.
Panaway Essential Oil Recipe For Home
If PanAway essential oil is made from 4 different essential oils, then can everyone make their concoction? Yes. A simple recipe to follow while trying to make panaway oil at home is mixing winter green essential oil, helichrysum essential oil, peppermint essential oil and clove bud essential oil in the ration 4:3:2:1 respectively.
Safety and Precautions While Using Panaway Essential Oil
Essential oils are generally considered to be safe for use, but panaway essential oil is different. It is a mix or blend of 4 different essential oils with different active ingredients and chemical compositions. Some people may be allergic to certain compounds while others may be allergic to others. Here are a few guidelines to keep in mind.
- When using panaway essential oil, it is highly recommended to do a small skin patch test to avoid the risk of side effects which may include inflammation, blisters, rashes and itching.
- This oil is potent and a mix of various oils. Hence, pregnant or breastfeeding women must refrain from using this oil as there is a risk of passing the effects of the oil to the infant. Always consult a gynecologist before using essential oils.
- The oil of peppermint can cause fatigue and sleeplessness. And, in some people it may cause gastrointestinal issues. Be careful while using the oil. Adverse effects or Side effects of panaway essential oil only occur due to excess and improper use.
- Excess use of clove essential oil can result in sexual disorders including loss of sexual libido, frigidity and erectile dysfunction. Avoid this oil if you have any sexual dysfunctions.
- The oil may be phototoxic. Avoid applying the oil on the skin if you plan on going out in the sunlight. It is best to apply it after sundown. Clean the oil the next morning before going out.
- People with certain medical conditions must consult a doctor before using the oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is PanAway essential oil used for?
PanAway essential oil is widely used to relieve pain and inflammation of the muscles and joints. It is a blend of four essential oils formulated specifically to deal with physical pain and injuries. It is also used to treat menstrual pain and cramps, and stomach related ailments.
How do I use PanAway essential oil for pain?
Take a few drops of panaway essential oil (5 to 10 drops) and mix it with any vegetable or neutral oil (including coconut oil and jojoba oil) and apply it on the affected region and its surroundings. Massage the oil into the skin to increase blood flow for faster healing.
Can you diffuse PanAway essential oil?
PanAway essential oil is made up of 4 different essential oils each of which is diffused for aromatherapy. Panaway oil too can be diffused with an aroma diffuser.
What can you mix with PanAway essential oil?
The essential oil of Panaway is already a blend of different essential oils. However if you still need to mix other oils with panaway, then those oils are listed below:
1. Copaiba essential oil
2. Lavender essential oil
3. Eucalyptus essential oil
4. Balsam fir essential oil
5. Lemon essential oil
6. Panaway essential oil mixes well with most carrier oils.
- L. Nuñez* and M. D’ Aquino. (2012). Microbicide activity of clove essential oil (Eugenia caryophyllata). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3769004/.
- Patricia R. Hebert, PhD, E. Joan Barice, MD, and Charles H. Hennekens, MD. (2014). Treatment of Low Back Pain: The Potential Clinical and Public Health Benefits of Topical Herbal Remedies. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3995208/.
- Michele Leonardi , Katarzyna E Ambryszewska, Bernardo Melai, Guido Flamini, Pier Luigi Cioni, Federico Parri, Luisa Pistelli. (2013). Essential-oil composition of Helichrysum italicum (ROTH) G.DON ssp. italicum from Elba Island (Tuscany, Italy). https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23495152/.
- Abbas Meamarbashi1. (2014). Instant effects of peppermint essential oil on the physiological parameters and exercise performance. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4103722/.
- Seenivasan Prabuseenivasan, Manickkam Jayakumar & Savarimuthu Ignacimuthu. (2006). In vitro antibacterial activity of some plant essential oils. https://bmccomplementmedtherapies.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1472-6882-6-39.
- Lucy I. Spirling, MB, BS and Ian R. Daniels, FRCS. (2001). Botanical perspectives on health Peppermint: more than just an after-dinner mint. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/146642400112100113.
- H Göbel,G Schmidt,D Soyka. (1994). Effect of peppermint and eucalyptus oil preparations on neurophysiological and experimental algesimetric headache parameters. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/j.1468-2982.1994.014003228.x.
- H.-G.Grigoleit, P.Grigoleit. (2005). Pharmacology and preclinical pharmacokinetics of peppermint oil. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0944711305001078.
- Khadija Rhayour,Touria Bouchikhi,Abdelrhafour Tantaoui-Elaraki,Khalid Sendide &Adnane Remmal. (2011). The Mechanism of Bactericidal Action of Oregano and Clove Essential Oils and of their Phenolic Major Components on Escherichia coli and Bacillus subtilis. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10412905.2003.9712144.
- Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. Volume 46, February 2022, 101533. The effect of aromatherapy with peppermint essential oil on anxiety of cardiac patients in emergency department: A placebo-controlled study. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1744388122000019.