Essential oil is becoming highly popular as a home remedy for many different purposes. Do you know that you can use essential oils for treating burns, blisters, and burn scars? Many essential oils can be used to treat many skin problems.
Following are some of the best oils that can be used to treat burns and blisters and to reduce scars.
What Are The Best Essential Oils For Burns?
Following is the list of essential oils you can use to treat burns and speed up healing.
1. Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile oil has natural wound-healing properties, and thus you can use it to get rid of burn blisters and scars (1). Chamomile oil is rich in moisturization and can help calm and soothe your skin. Chamomile essential oil can helps rejuvenate the skin and heals minor burns quickly.
2. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil has many medicinal benefits. It contains antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiseptic properties. Tea tree oil also has natural wound healing abilities that can help any sort of wound and its scars (2).
Tea tree oil is the best essential oil that helps in fighting any sort of infection. It is one of the great remedies for treating burns and burn marks. Tea tree oil can help heal severe burns as well and also helps soothe the pain. Tea tree oil promotes new skin cell generation and also improves skin texture.
3. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is a very commonly used floral oil in skincare. Lavender oil is one of the significant essential oils that can be used to heal burn. Do you know that lavender oil is great for treating surface burns? Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing skin inflammation, redness, and itchy skin, which is usually seen in the case of burns.
Lavender oil has antimicrobial properties that help fight germs and infections and heal wounds quickly (3). The wound healing potential of lavender oil is very high. You can use lavender oil to treat small burns as well as it is a great burn healer.
4. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil has natural cooling properties that help in healing wounds. This is one of the most effective essential oils that helps in healing burns and burn scars. It has menthol that helps in healing wounds quickly. It provides a soothing effect on burns and also helps cellular regeneration for the skin.
Peppermint oil has analgesic properties that help in preventing illness and also helps in reducing topical pain. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in soothing skin by reducing inflammation.
5. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is one of the most commonly used essential oils for healing wounds and burns (4). Eucalyptus oil contains astringent properties that help in healing wounds quickly.
Eucalyptus oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help heal wounds quickly and reduce the chances of infection, redness, and inflammation caused due to burning.
6. Juniper Essential Oil
Juniper is an ingredient that is used in traditional medicines for healing wounds (5). It helps soothe burns and inflamed skin as it contains anti-inflammatory properties and restores skin health. Juniper oil contains an active compound called thujone that helps in healing quickly and also helps in preventing infections from wounds.
It also contains antimicrobial properties that help in reducing the chances of infection. Juniper oil also contains a compound called pinene that helps in quickly healing wounds. It is also an effective oil that helps in reducing burn scars.
7. Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano oil is an effective oil that can be used to heal wounds quickly. Oregano oil contains antimicrobial activity that can help reduce infections and speed up the process of wound and burn to heal. Oregano oil also helps in reducing pain and thus can be used to reduce the suffering caused due to burning.
8. Sage Essential Oil
Sage essential oil has many varieties, including clary sage, which helps in faster wound healing. Clary sage is a commonly used oil and is also easily accessible. Sage oils contain antibacterial properties that help in fighting any sort of bacteria on the wounds that can cause infections. Sage oil also contains antimicrobial properties that help in reducing and treating wounds quickly.
9. Pine Essential Oil
Pinene is one of the most effective ingredients in pine oil (6). This ingredient helps in quickly healing wounds. It also helps in reducing inflammation and kills pathogens in the infection. Pine oil also helps in reducing scars caused due to burning. Thus this is one of the most effective oils in burn treatment.
10. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme oil promotes skin healing (7). Thyme oil contains a compound called thymol that helps in effective pain management. Thyme oil also has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing skin inflammation that is usually faced in the case of burns.
11. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil is another commonly used essential oil. It is known as the King of Oils mainly because of its natural healing properties and treating different kinds of skin conditions. Frankincense oil is an effective oil in burn treatment as it quickly heals wounds and, at the same time, it increases the cell turnover rate, which helps in reducing burn scars quickly.
12. Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum oil is rich in antioxidant properties that help in healing wounds quickly. It can offer relief in skin spasms and also reduces soreness. Helichrysum oil increases the healthy skin cell generation process and thus quickly heals scars caused due to burning. Thus this oil can be used to heal minor burns and scars effectively.
13. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium essential oil is one of the most effective oils that help in reducing pain and healing skin conditions. Geranium oil has sedative properties that offer comfort from pain caused due to twinging from the burn.
How Can You Use Essential Oils For Burns And Blisters?
Essential oils have properties that help in soothing skin and also reduce the scars caused due to burns and blisters. Though essential oils are natural plant extracts, they are highly concentrated, and one should know the right way to use them in order to treat burns and scars. Following are some of the ways to use essential oils to treat burns:
- This is one of the most commonly used ways of applying essential oils. But for topical application, one needs to first dilute the essential oils.
- You need to dilute the essential oil with any carrier oil before applying it to the skin. This will help in reducing the risk of any adverse effects.
- Do not use essential oils if the wound is still open.
- Essential oils have medicinal properties that help in healing wounds quickly.
- Diffusing essential oils is also a common approach that is used for using essential oils to treat burns or blisters.
- You can use an essential oil diffuser or humidifier for this purpose. This will disperse tiny droplets of essential oils in the air that can be used as a fine mist to heal burns and blisters.
- For using essential oils as a diffuser, you need to add water to the watermark in the diffuser or as directed by the manufacturer. Then add a few drops of essential oils to the diffuser. Plug in the diffuser, sit back, relax, and enjoy the benefits of essential oils.
- Aromatherapy is one of the most commonly used ways of using essential oils, as essential oils have therapeutic benefits that can be utilized through aromatherapy.
- Essential oils have sedative properties, analgesic properties, etc., that help in calming and relaxing the body while suffering from burn and going through the pain, and burning inflamed sensation.
- Direct inhalation is also an effective way to use essential oils.
- For this purpose, you can add a few drops of essential oils to your handkerchief and inhale the benefits of essential oils.
- You can also sniff directly from the bottle of essential oils to enjoy its benefits.
- You can also add a few drops of essential oils in a bowl of hot water, place a towel above your head, and inhale the vapors to get relief during suffering through burns and blisters.
- You can also use essential oils with your bath to heal burns and blisters, and other symptoms.
- For this, you need to add around 15 to 20 drops of essential oils and add it to your bathtub. Give it a stir to mix the oil.
- Add carrier oil as well to your bath to avoid any adverse impact of essential oils.
You can add a few drops of essential oil in lotion and apply it to the burns to heal them faster.
As stated earlier, undiluted essential oils are highly concentrated and can cause allergic reactions or can cause skin irritation, itchiness, or redness. So, before applying essential oils, it is important to know some of the precautionary measures that you should adopt. Following are some of the points that you should consider
- Avoid using essential oils directly on your skin. Always dilute the essential oils with a carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, apricot oil, and almond oil, and then apply it on the skin. This will help in reducing the chances of skin irritation or any sort of allergic reaction.
- While applying the diluted essential oil on the burn, always use a clean cotton swab or cotton ball.
- Avoid using essential oils on open wounds or if the skin is broken. This can irritate your skin, or it can also lead to infection.
- If your wound is open and in a bad state, then such burn injuries will require professional medical assistance.
- Monitor the burn closely if you are using an essential oil on it. If you experience any allergic reaction, inflammation, redness, or irritation, immediately discontinue the use of essential oil and visit your nearest doctor.
- Always undertake a patch test before applying it to the affected area to know whether that particular essential oil suits your skin or not.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, avoid using essential oils.
DIY Essential Oil Blend Recipes
Following are some essential oils and blends you can use to treat a burn.
# DIY Essential Oil Roller Blend Recipe To Treat Burns And Blisters
- 1 tablespoon of carrot seed oil
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 10 ml glass roller bottle
- Take the glass roller bottle and add all the essential oils to it.
- Fill the remaining space in your roller bottle with a carrier oil.
- Shake the bottle thoroughly, and store it in a cool and dark place.
- Your essential oil roller is ready to use on burns and blisters and speeds up the healing of wounds.
# DIY Essential Oil Blend To Treat Minor Burns
- 3 drops of thyme essential oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 1 tablespoon of sweet almond oil
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients to it.
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- With the help of a cotton swab, apply this mixture on the affected area or the burn to soothe the itchiness and heal the burn faster.
# DIY Essential Oil Blend To Heal Sunburns Or The Appearance Of Scars, Burn, Wounds, etc.
- 2 drops of oregano essential oil
- 3 drops of eucalyptus oil
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Take a bowl and add all the ingredients.
- Mix all the ingredients properly to make a nice blend.
- Apply the essential oil blend with the help of a cotton swab on your burns.
- Store this blend in a cool and dark place.
- You can apply this blend twice a day.
# DIY Essential Oil Spray
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 5 drops of oregano oil
- Water (20 ml)
- Witch hazel (20 ml)
- 50 ml spray bottle
- In a spray bottle, add water and witch hazel and spray the bottle thoroughly.
- Add all the essential oils and shake the bottle thoroughly.
- Store the bottle in a cool and dark place.
- You can use this spray twice or thrice a day.
# DIY Essential Oil Ointment
- Coconut oil
- Thyme essential oil – 5 drops
- Geranium essential oil – 5 drops
- Tea tree oil – 5 drops
- In a saucepan, add beeswax and coconut oil and melt properly. Continuously stir until completely melted.
- Stir the mixture and let it cool down.
- Add all the essential oils together in the mixture once it is cooled down. Stir and mix well.
- Let the mixture set at a cool temperature and store it in a cool place.
- Store it in a jar.
- Shake the jar well before applying it.
- You can apply this ointment twice a day. It is suitable for all skin types.
Essential oils are being used in traditional medicine as wound remedies. However, you can also use your favorite essential oil to make a blend and heal your burns. This post has highlighted some of the best essential oils that you can use when it comes to burning healing and pain relief.
Essential oils can help in reducing the appearance of scars on burnt skin. Essential oils for scars can be a beneficial natural remedy for promoting skin healing and reducing the visibility of scars. Essential oils have pain-relieving properties that can help reduce burn pain. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing the burning sensation. If the wound is very deep and open, immediately go for medical attention. You can use essential oils as first aid to heal burns and scalds.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best essential oil for a burn?
Chamomile, tea tree, lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, geranium, thyme, frankincense, clary sage, cedarwood, juniper berry, oregano, helichrysum, and pine oil are some of the best essential oils for a burn.
Can essential oils heal burns?
Yes, essential oils have natural wound healing properties that help in healing burns, blisters, and also helps in reducing the appearance of scars. It has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that helps in containing the infection and speeds up the recovery process.
How does lavender oil help burns?
Lavender oil has sedative properties that help in reducing pain caused due to burn. It also has natural wound healing properties that can help heal burns.
Can you put tea tree oil on a burn?
Yes, tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antiseptic, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties that help in healing burns.
Is aloe vera oil good for burn?
Yes aloe vera has cooling properties that can be used to treat burns.
- Janmejai K. Srivastava Eswar Shankar. Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with a bright future (Review). https://www.spandidos-publications.com/mmr/3/6/895#
- Margaret Edmondson, Nelly Newall, Keryln Carville, Joanna Smith, Thomas V. Riley, Christine F. Carson. Uncontrolled, open-label, pilot study of tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) oil solution in the decolonisation of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus positive wounds and its influence on wound healing. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1742-481X.2011.00801.x
- Paweł Kwiatkowski. The Antibacterial Activity of Lavender Essential Oil Alone and In Combination with Octenidine Dihydrochloride against MRSA Strains. https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/25/1/95
- Int J Nanomedicine. (2018) Essential oil-loaded lipid nanoparticles for wound healing. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5747963/
- ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITIES OF JUNIPER BERRIES (JUNIPERUS COMMUNIS), BOTTLE BRUST (EQUISETUM ARVENSE), STAR ANISE (ILLICIUM VERUM) AND UVEZ (CORMUS DOMESTICA). https://www.gecekitapligi.com/Webkontrol/uploads/Fck/agriculture1.pdf#page=137
- Food Control. Anti-Listeria monocytogenes activity of essential oils components of conifers. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0956713502000269
- Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine. Physical, antibacterial and antioxidant properties of chitosan films incorporated with thyme oil for potential wound healing applications. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10856-010-4065-x
2 thoughts on “12 Effective Essential Oils For Burns | DIY Recipes For Treating Burns & Blisters”