Losing weight is no miracle, and it requires a proper change in one’s lifestyle. There are many different things that can support you in losing weight, like consuming a healthy diet, exercising regularly, etc.
One such thing that can support and facilitate your weight loss process is massage oils. Massage oils can work on your cellulite and can help you reduce weight fast (1). Massage oils are one of the best alternatives that can help you quickly lose weight.
Massage oil has many therapeutic benefits. It helps increase metabolism, cut cellulite, and remove unsaturated fats and toxins from your body. Essential oils are aromatic oils that can be used to make your own massage oil to help with weight loss. Aromatherapy massage helps in regulating abdominal fat and body image (2).
In this post, different massage oils are discussed that can be used to reduce belly fat. Read below to learn about massage oil for weight loss.
What Are The Best Body Massage Oils That Can Be Used To Lose Belly Fat?
Following are some of the fat loss massage oils to help reduce excess fat:
Best Essential Oil For Weight Loss | Aromatherapy Massage Oils For Weight Loss
1. Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit oil is best to boost metabolism as it contains a compound called nootkatone that increases metabolism and thus helps in reducing body fat. This oil also helps in improving the physical performance of the body. Massaging with this oil helps in shrinking the fat storing cells and thus helps you manage weight effectively.
Along with this, grapefruit oil helps suppress appetite, balances your mood, and helps reduce stress. Stress is also a major cause of weight gain, so releasing stress is also necessary (3).
How To Use
You can combine grapefruit oil with olive oil and massage your abdominal area to reduce or melt fat. Allow the oil to absorb in your skin.
2. Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
Cinnamon is one of the most effective essential oil for reducing weight. Cinnamon has a very sweet smell, and it also has a spicy warm aroma. And it is one of the best alternatives to your sugar cravings.
It is a warming essential oil, and massaging your belly fat with this oil will improve blood circulation and increase metabolism, which will help in reducing belly fat (4).
Cinnamon bark essential oil contains an active compound called cinnamaldehyde that helps in increasing metabolism and also targets fat cells. This oil stimulates thermogenesis. In this process, the body burns adipocytes.
How To Use
You can mix around 5 to 8 drops of essential oil with any other carrier oil and can use it to massage your abdominal area for a reduction in fat.
3. Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger root is one of the greatest oil that can be used to promote digestion. Ginger oil helps reduce obesity. Ginger root contains a compound called gingerols that helps in reducing inflammation in your intestines and promotes the effective absorption of vitamins and minerals from your food.
Reduced inflammation in the intestines can help manage your weight and also promotes weight loss. Ginger oil also helps in reducing sugar cravings (5).
How To Use
You can combine ginger root oil with sweet orange oil and olive oil and massage your abdomen area twice a day.
4. Turmeric Essential Oil
Turmeric oil is one of the most important ingredients that can help promote weight loss. It boosts metabolism and helps target fat cells. It also helps in increasing adiponectin in your blood which helps in burning unwanted body fat.
Turmeric oil is a warming oil that increases blood circulation when massaged on a specific area. Improved blood circulation also helps in reducing fat from the body (6).
How To Use
You can combine turmeric essential oil with any carrier oil and massage your belly area to get rid of unwanted fat.
5. Lime Essential Oil
Lime essential oil is one of the best oils that promote fat burning. It contains a compound called limonene that helps dissolve body fat. It has an energizing scent that can be used during your workout days to keep you motivated and boosted all day long.
According to a study conducted on mice, it has been found out that lime essential oil helps in weight loss (7). The lime essential oil contains chemical properties that help induce anorexia which leads to loss of appetite.
How To Use
You can dilute lime oil with any carrier oil and massage your abdominal area to promote belly fat loss.
6. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil is one of the best choices when it comes to weight loss. Peppermint oil helps suppress appetite and keeps you from overeating. Peppermint oil also helps in reducing bloating, if any. It improves indigestion and improves your digestive health.
Peppermint oil has a mint scent that helps you relax and, at the same time, keeps you energized, thus making it the best oil during your workout days. It helps in burning fat cells. It has a cooling agent that helps in releasing muscle sores (8).
Must Read: Benefits of Peppermint Oil for Weight Loss
How To Use
You can combine peppermint oil with sesame seed oil and massage your abdominal area to get rid of stubborn belly fat.
7. Bergamot Essential Oil
Bergamot essential oil can help you restrict overeating. It has properties that help in cutting cellulite and promotes weight loss therefore bergamot oil is known as a best oil for cellulite. It has a major impact on mental and emotional health and thus controls your eating habits. It also helps keep you energized and supports you during your workout days.
How To Use
You can mix bergamot essential oil with olive oil and massage your abdominal area, as it helps to reduce body fat.
8. Fennel Essential Oil
Fennel oil is also one of the best essential oils that you can use to massage and facilitate massage oil. It has a compound called melatonin that helps temporarily curb your appetite. It also improves digestion and promotes good digestive health (9).
Fennel oil energizes and refreshes your mood and is best suitable during the workout period. It also helps in releasing stress which is a major cause of increasing weight.
Fennel oil increases metabolism that helps in burning fat.
How To Use
You can combine fennel oil with any carrier oil and massage your belly to burn fat cells.
9. Sandalwood Essential Oil
One of the major properties of sandalwood oil is that it helps in improving the digestive system. It improves the function of the intestine and stomach.
Sandalwood essential oil also helps in reducing overeating as it impacts emotional eating habits.
How To Use
You can dilute sandalwood oil, grapefruit oil, and any carrier oil and massage your belly area to get rid of belly fat.
10. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress essential oil helps in reducing cellulite, and massaging this oil on a regular basis will help you get rid of belly fat faster. Cypress oil improves blood circulation and helps remove toxins from the body. It also helps prevent fluid retention within the body and thus helps in reducing weight.
How To Use
You can combine this oil with a carrier oil and massage your belly to get rid of your belly fat. You can use this oil twice a day to notice the difference.
11. Juniper Berry Essential Oil
Juniper berry is one of the effective essential oil that promotes weight loss. It tackles fluid retention in the body and helps reduce the issue of bloating. It also helps improve the digestive system. It helps in cutting down cellulite from our bodies. The scent of this oil helps you reduce your emotional eating habit.
How To Use
You can mix juniper berry essential oil with coconut oil and massage your belly area to reduce fat.
12. Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage is an effective oil that can help improve your stomach health. It helps in reducing indigestion symptoms and thus manages your weight loss journey effectively. Massaging your belly using clary sage oil along with juniper berry and grapefruit oil can give effective results in reducing stubborn belly fat.
How To Use
You can blend 5 drops of clary sage oil, 4 drops of grapefruit oil, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil and massage on your abdominal area to cut down fat and cellulite.
13. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil helps in burning fat. It has an energizing scent that promotes good health and emotional well-being and restricts overeating. This oil is a great fat burner oil that can improve blood circulation and help release toxins from the body.
How To Use
You can dilute lemon oil with any carrier oil and massage it on your abdominal area. To get the best results, use this oil twice a day.
14. Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil is one of the most popular oils. Lavender oil helps in releasing stress and anxiety and works well on your emotional health. It has a great floral scent and can help suppress your appetite. Lavender oil is best for inducing sleep and improving sleep quality. Lack of sleep is also considered a major reason behind weight gain (10).
As an aromatherapy oil, lavender is considered as one of the best massage oil for aromatherapy due to its balancing and relaxing effects. A lavender oil massage can relieve muscle tension, soothe nerves, and leave you with a calm, peaceful state of mind.
How To Use
Dilute 5 drops of lavender oil with 1 tablespoon of almond oil and massage it on your abdominal area.
Apart from these essential weight loss oils, certain carrier oils effectively reduce belly fat. Following is the list of these carrier oils
15. Castor Oil
Castor oil is one of the most effective essential oils used to massage the belly area for fat reduction. It absorbs into the skin very well and acts as one of the best-supporting oils that can be mixed with essential oils to make massage oil for fat reduction. Castor oil is rich in omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids (11). The use of castor oil helps in releasing toxins from the body. It also helps in releasing unsaturated fats from the body.
16. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is rich in vitamins A and E. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids (12). It can help improve your digestive system. It improves heart rate and increases metabolism. It can also help suppress the habit of fast eating. This is one of the best carrier oils that can be used to massage belly fat and reduce fat.
17. Almond Oil
Almonds are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, and many other nutrients (13). It also contains potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc as well as copper. Almond oil helps in reducing loose skin and promotes flatness, thus making it an effective massaging oil to reduce fat.
18. Olive Oil
Olive oil is rich in vitamins A, B, D, and E and contains all the necessary nutrients. It is one of the effective carrier oils that promote belly fat reduction. This oil contains fatty acids that help absorb this oil into the skin. This oil is very commonly used to dilute with essential oil in order to reduce abdominal fat.
19. Sesame Seed Oil
This is considered the “Queen of Oils.” It contains minerals, zinc, copper, magnesium, calcium, and manganese. This oil helps in diluting fat from the inside. It improves blood circulation and strengthens blood vessels. This oil can be directly used to massage for fat reduction or act as a carrier oil to dilute with any essential oil and then massage on the abdominal area.
Any of the massage oils to lose belly fat. All the above-mentioned oils are aromatherapy massage oil that can promote faster weight loss reduction. You can make different oil blends and use an oil mixture to apply to your skin.
What Are The Benefits Of Massage Oil For Belly Fat Loss?
There are several benefits of massage oil for belly fat loss. Following are some of the important benefits of massage oil:
- Massaging the abdominal area helps stimulate blood circulation and blood flow around the area. Improved blood circulation helps in breaking down fat cells.
- Some of the carrier oils, like coconut oil and olive oil, contain medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). The main impact of this is that it has a thermogenic effect on the body that helps increase metabolism and the fat-burning process.
- Using massage oil helps in relaxing muscle tension. This helps in reducing the appearance of bloating. Massaging helps in toning the abdominal area.
- Massage oils also help in releasing stress and anxiety. Stress is a major cause of increased weight, and managing stress can help in effective weight management.
- Massage oil helps in improving the elasticity and firmness of the skin, and this is important to reduce the sagginess of skin or loose skin that is usually seen when people go through weight loss.
Though one needs to keep in mind that using massage oils alone is not sufficient for fat reduction, you need to follow a proper diet and exercise regularly to help reduce belly fat. Any sort of physical activity will help in reducing weight and achieving your desired healthy weight.
How To Use Weight Loss Massage Oil For Reducing Belly Fat?
- To begin with, you need to select the massage oil that you feel comfortable with or the one that suits your skin. A detailed list has been provided above. You can select any oil from that list.
- Then take a few drops within your palm and warm the oil by rubbing it between your hands. This will also help in spreading the oil easily onto your abdomen.
- Now start massaging your abdomen in circular motions in an upward clockwise direction. Firmly apply pressure using your fingertips. If you want, you can also use sweeping strokes or circular motions around the belly button.
- Continue massaging for 5 to 10 minutes or as long as you want. You can massage daily, or if you want, you can massage alternate days or weekly, depending upon your comfort and schedule.
You can let essential oils absorb into your skin or rinse it off with warm water if you want.
Points To Remember
- You can use essential oils for weight loss, but avoid applying essential oils directly to the skin.
- Essential oils are concentrated, and applying them directly can cause skin irritation or inflammation.
- Always dilute the essential oil in a carrier oil and make a blend to massage the abdomen and reduce fat and waist circumference.
- It is advisable to massage oils regularly to see the best results.
- Massaging should be supplemented with proper diet and exercise during the process of weight loss.
Using essential oils or other carrier oils for massage therapy or aromatherapy massage is a great way to reduce fat. Massaging with essential oils can be considered ayurvedic massage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which oil massage is best for belly fat?
Oils like grapefruit oil, cinnamon oil,turmeric oil, peppermint oil, ginger oil, bergamot oil, fennel oil, lavender oil, lemon oil, lime oil, sandalwood oil, cypress oil, juniper berry oil, clary sage oil, castor oil, coconut oil, almond oil, and olive oil are some of the massage oils for belly fat.
Does fat burning massage oil work?
Yes, fat burning massage oil works, provided you need to adopt a healthy lifestyle and improve your diet and exercising habits to make things work.
Can you massage away belly fat?
Yes, there are certain massage oils that promote blood circulation, release toxins, and help reduce belly fat.
How do I massage my stomach to lose fat?
Take a few drops of massage oil between your hands, warm the oil by rubbing between your hands and then, massage your belly in circular motion for 5 to 10 minutes. Let the oil absorb into your skin.
- A. V. Rawlings. (2006). Cellulite and its treatment. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1467-2494.2006.00318.x.
- Hee Ja Kim. (2007). [Effect of aromatherapy massage on abdominal fat and body image in post-menopausal women]. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17615482/.
- Jennifer Daubenmier ,Jean Kristeller, Frederick M. Hecht, Nicole Maninger, Margaret Kuwata, Kinnari Jhaveri, Robert H. Lustig, Margaret Kemeny, Lori Karan, and Elissa Epel. (2011). Mindfulness Intervention for Stress Eating to Reduce Cortisol and Abdominal Fat among Overweight and Obese Women: An Exploratory Randomized Controlled Study. https://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2011/651936/.
- Sung Hee Kim & Se Young Choung. (2010). Antihyperglycemic and antihyperlipidemic action of Cinnamomi Cassiae (Cinnamon bark) extract in C57BL/Ks db/db mice. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12272-010-0219-0.
- Tchoffo Herve , Kana Jean Raphaël , Ngoula Ferdinand , Ngoumtsop Victor Herman , Ngouozeu Moyo Willy Marvel , Tadondjou Cyril D’Alex , Folack Tiwa Laurine Vitrice. (2019). Effects of Ginger ( Zingiber officinale, Roscoe) Essential Oil on Growth and Laying Performances, Serum Metabolites, and Egg Yolk Antioxidant and Cholesterol Status in Laying Japanese Quail. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31001562/#:~:text=The%20serum%20content%20in%20total,oil%20compared%20to%20control%20group..
- Shinichi Honda, Fumiki Aoki, Hozumi Tanaka, Hideyuki Kishida, Tozo Nishiyama, Shinji Okada, Ichiro Matsumoto, Keiko Abe, and Tatsumasa Mae. (2006). Effects of Ingested Turmeric Oleoresin on Glucose and Lipid Metabolisms in Obese Diabetic Mice: A DNA Microarray Study. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf061788t.
- Solmaz Asnaashari , Abbas Delazar, Bohlol Habibi, Roghayeh Vasfi, Lutfun Nahar, Sanaz Hamedeyazdan, Satyajit D Sarker. (2010). Essential oil from Citrus aurantifolia prevents ketotifen-induced weight-gain in mice. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20623616/.
- BENJAMIN KLIGLER, M.D., M.P.H., AND SAPNA CHAUDHARY, D.O. (2007). Peppermint Oil. https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2007/0401/p1027.html.
- Safoora Mazaheri, Mehdi Nematbakhsh, Mehrnoosh Bahadorani, Zahra Pezeshki, Ardeshir Talebi Ali-Reza Ghannadi and Farzaneh Ashrafi. (2013). Effects of Fennel Essential Oil on Cisplatin-induced Nephrotoxicity in Ovariectomized Rats. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3783680/.
- Gürler M.a · Kızılırmak A.b · Baser M.c. (2020). The Effect of Aromatherapy on Sleep and Quality of Life in Menopausal Women with Sleeping Problems: A Non-Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial. https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/507751.
- Denise Sande, Gecernir Colen, Gabriel Franco dos Santos, Vany Perpétua Ferraz & Jacqueline Aparecida Takahashi. (2018). Production of omega 3, 6, and 9 fatty acids from hydrolysis of vegetable oils and animal fat with Colletotrichum gloeosporioides lipase. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10068-017-0249-1.
- The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry. Volume 13, Issue 7, July 2002, Pages 435-441. The effect of dietary menhaden, olive, and coconut oil fed with three levels of vitamin E on plasma and liver lipids and plasma fatty acid composition in rats. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0955286302001961.
- Claire Brittain ,Claire Kremen,Andrea Garber,Alexandra-Maria Klein. (2014). Pollination and Plant Resources Change the Nutritional Quality of Almonds for Human Health. https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0090082.