Do you want to know a natural and simpler way to burn fat faster but in a safe manner?
Well, your search has ended as essential oils for weight loss is one of the most natural, simple, and safest ways to promote weight loss.
Essential oils will help in promoting a healthy lifestyle and will support you to shed a few pounds. Essential oils are being widely used for many different purposes, like treating skin issues, any health conditions, hair care, etc.
Essential oils help improve your diet and energize you throughout your workout. The use of essential oils helps curb food cravings and facilitates effective weight management.
Essential oils do not directly promote weight loss, but it promotes your weight loss journey in many ways. One should try to incorporate essential oils in their weight loss journey to achieve faster results. Following are some of the best essential oils that you can try to promote weight loss.
Best Essential Oils To Lose Weight
1. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil helps in reducing fat and boosting your metabolism and suppressing your appetite. Lemon oil promotes the effective functioning of the digestive system which is very important for reducing weight (1).
Lemon oil helps in reducing stress which is found to be a major reason behind weight gain as our body releases certain hormones when under stress which can lead to gaining weight. The lemon essential oil contains a limonene compound that helps in burning fat. Lemon oil also helps in increasing your energy levels.
How To Use
- You can ingest 1 to 2 drops of lemon oil in a glass of water and consume it.
- You can inhale it directly from the bottle or you can soak a cotton ball in it and inhale it to curb good cravings.
- You can use lemon oil directly on your cellulite and massage it to get rid of cellulite build-up.
2. Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil helps suppress your appetite and stops you from overeating. It reduces your cravings and hunger and promotes satiation of the stomach. Grapefruit oil has a D-limonene compound that can boost your metabolism.
This helps in reducing your body fat. One of the unique characteristics of grapefruit essential oil is that it helps in improving the drainage of the lymphatic system. This helps in preventing bloating and also reduces cellulite. Grapefruit oil has a nootkatone component which is used to activate AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK).
The main purpose of AMPK is to stimulate the body so it uses stored sugar in the body and reduces the accumulation of fat. Thus, in short, it promotes weight loss (2).
How To Use
- You can add 1-2 drops of grapefruit oil to one glass of water and drink it immediately after you wake up.
- You can diffuse this oil, or inhale it by soaking a cotton ball in it. It will help in suppressing food cravings.
- You can apply it topically as well around your wrists, and temples to control your appetite.
- It can be used to massage over cellulite as it will break down the cellulite and promote fat loss.
3. Ginger Essential Oil
Ginger is rich in anti-inflammatory properties and a compound called gingerol that helps reduce inflammation. This promotes weight loss as lower inflammation helps in better digestion and absorption of nutrients (3). The use of ginger oil helps in reducing sugar cravings and also promotes clear bowel movement. Ginger oil promotes sweating and releases toxins.
How To Use
- You can inhale ginger oil directly from the bottle or you can soak a cotton ball in the oil and use it to inhale. This will help in reducing your appetite and food cravings.
4. Lavender Essential Oil
Stress, anxiety, and depression are some of the major causes of weight gain and obesity. Lavender oil helps in reducing stress and anxiety by reducing the stress hormone called cortisol levels which holds onto excess fat. Thus, the use of lavender oil helps in reducing and managing weight loss.
Regular use of lavender oil helps in restricting your cravings and also helps in improving your sleep quality. Lack of sleep or improper sleep is also a cause of increasing weight.
How To Use
- You can apply a few drops of lavender essential oil to your pulse points and sniff it.
- You can diffuse the oil alongside your bed for better sleep, stress relief, etc.
5. Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil helps manage stress effectively and thus helps avoid overeating due to stress. Peppermint oil improves the digestive system’s functioning and heals upset stomachs. Essential Oil of Mentha piperita impacts the hypothalamus that releases leptin hormone that suppresses appetite.
This oil also helps in suppressing ghrelin which is the hunger hormone. Peppermint oil is an energy booster and thus it improves the metabolism functioning within the body, thus this oil helps with weight loss.
How To Use
- You can dilute this essential oil with any carrier oil like coconut oil, jojoba oil, etc., and use it for topical application.
- You can use peppermint essential oil as a diffuser.
6. Cinnamon Essential Oil
One of the most important characteristics of cinnamon oil is that it helps in managing blood sugar levels and insulin levels which is a major cause of weight gain. Thus it promotes effective weight loss by controlling unstable blood sugar levels.
Cinnamon oil reduces inflammation and also improves blood circulation, boosts metabolism, and suppresses appetite. Cinnamon essential oil improves the functioning of the digestive system and reduces food cravings. This oil can be used to help your weight loss plan.
How To Use
- You add 1-2 drops of therapeutic-grade cinnamon essential oil in a warm glass of water or in your tea and consume it.
- You can inhale cinnamon oil before your meal as it will make you feel full and reduce your appetite.
- You can dilute cinnamon oil with other carrier oil and use it for topical application.
- You can add a few drops of cinnamon oil to the diffuser.
7. Bergamot Essential Oil
Emotional eating due to stress, anxiety, and depression is a major hindrance in weight loss. Bergamot essential oil helps in managing your stress and anxiety level and restricts you from overeating. It helps in reducing cortisol a stress hormone that helps in reducing weight.
A study proves that the use of bergamot essential oil helps in reducing blood glucose levels and blood cholesterol levels which is essential for effective weight loss. Bergamot contains polyphenols which help in melting fat and sugar from the body in a natural manner.
How To Use
- You can inhale this oil directly from the bottle or soak a cotton ball in it and inhale it for better results.
- You can add bergamot oil to your bath as well.
8. Fennel Essential Oil
Fennel oil is one of the most effective essential oils for improving digestion, improving sleep, and suppressing your appetite. Fennel oil contains a component called melatonin which has an impact on weight management as it helps create body fat that can be burned and not stored in the body. Fennel oil helps in improving your mood and releasing stress. It also promotes your energy level impacting directly your metabolism rate (4).
How To Use
- You can use fennel oil for topical application on your wrist. This will help reduce food cravings.
9. Sandalwood Essential Oil
Pure Sandalwood Essential Oil is the best option that helps suppress negativity and stops you from emotional eating by keeping you calm. It balances your emotion and makes you feel happy and good and promotes effective weight management.
How To Use
- You can directly inhale the sandalwood oil from the bottle or can soak a cotton ball in it.
- You can use it for topical application.
- You can also diffuse sandalwood oil.
10. Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil has calming properties and it helps soothe your mind and body. It helps release stress and anxiety and restricts you from overeating. Eucalyptus oil helps regulate immuno-metabolic activities that help manage obesity and insulin (5).
How To Use
- You can directly inhale the oil from the bottle. It will help you calm down and keep you away from emotional eating.
- You can also add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to your bath.
11. Jasmine Essential Oil
Jasmine oil has calming and soothing properties that can help you relax and calm and manage your emotional imbalances, and help avoid stressed eating habits. This oil can be used by people who are struggling to lose weight mainly because of their overeating habit.
Jasmine oil also helps in regulating sleep patterns. Improper sleeping pattern is found to be one of the causes behind increasing weight. So, the use of jasmine oil can help you manage your weight effectively.
How To Use
- You can directly inhale the oil or can use it through a soaked cotton ball.
- You can diffuse essential oil.
12. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil helps improve your digestion and boosts metabolism which is helpful in losing weight. The use of frankincense oil stimulates peristaltic motion that facilitates the movement of food properly and improves overall digestion.
It increases the rate at which bile juice and gastric juices are secreted and thus increases metabolism. It also has calming properties that help in releasing stress and anxiety and controls food cravings.
How To Use
- You can directly inhale the frankincense oil from the bottle.
- You can diffuse the oil to help reduce your food cravings.
13. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil has the ability to reduce cortisol levels which is a stress hormone. It can help control overeating habits, food cravings, etc. Thus, using rosemary essential oil can help lose weight.
How To Use
- You can directly inhale this oil from the bottle.
14. Orange Essential Oil
Orange oil is one of the best oils that help in curbing your appetite and prevents you from overeating. Orange oil has properties that help release depression.
According to a study a direct relationship has been found between depression and a higher risk of obesity (6). Thus relieving depression can help you manage your weight properly and can facilitate weight loss. You can use orange essential oil to help promote your weight loss efforts.
How To Use
- You can directly inhale the oil from the bottle to stimulate your senses and mood.
15. Juniper Essential Oil
Juniper oil has antioxidants and anti-obesity properties which are very important to help reduce weight. The use of this oil helps in reducing water retention. It promotes effective weight management (7). This oil can be used to support weight loss plans.
How To Use
- You can use juniper oil for topical application.
- You can directly inhale it from the bottle.
16. Sage Essential Oil
Sage oil has many therapeutic and medicinal benefits. It has been found that sage oil can help protect the body from oxidative stress which is a major cause of increasing weight (8).
How To Use
- Sage oil can be used for topical application.
- It can be used for room diffusers as well.
17. Basil Essential Oil
Basil oil contains a terpene linalool component which helps in releasing stress and anxiety. Stress leads to weight increase and it becomes necessary to control stress in order to manage your desired weight.
How To Use
- You can consume basil oil by adding 1-2 drops of basil oil to a glass of water and drinking it before your meal.
- You can directly inhale the oil from the bottle as it will help in curbing appetite.
18. Thyme Essential Oil
Thyme oil has anti-obesity, anti-depression, and anti-inflammatory properties that help in weight loss. Thyme oil is rich in alpha-glucosidase inhibitory activities which helps fight obesity. It also has polyphenol components that help your weight reduction process (9)
How To Use
- You can use this oil for topical application.
- You can inhale the oil through the bottle.
19. Garlic Oil
According to a study on rats, it has been found out that garlic oil has anti-obesity properties that help regulate body weight (10). Combining garlic oil with ginger oil can support your weight loss goals (11).
How To Use
- You can dilute garlic essential oil for topical application.
- You can diffuse the oil.
- You can directly inhale the oil through the bottle.
How Do Essential Oils Help Promote Weight Loss?
There are many benefits of essential oil with respect to weight loss. Essential oil is extracted from plants and thus has many natural properties that help in regulating your body weight. Essential oil is an excellent ingredient that serves many different purposes and positively affects the weight loss journey.
- Essential oils are plant extracts that are rich in antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and analgesic properties. These properties help in regulating body weight. The use of essential oils can help boost your metabolism.
- It improves your digestion process by reducing inflammation and helping the body absorb nutrients. It energizes your body and helps you stay active throughout and thus manage your weight effectively.
- Application of essential oils can be done on cellulite and it helps in getting rid of cellulite build-up. It breaks fat and helps reduce weight. It also helps reduce stretch marks.
- Its use helps in releasing toxins from the body. Essential oils release stress, anxiety, and depression which is a major cause of concern behind increasing weight.
These are the reasons why essential oils are considered natural remedies to promote weight loss.
How To Use Essential Oils For Weight Loss?
Topical application is the best approach to using essential oils to promote weight loss. Essential oils can be used to massage the cellulite which will help in reducing cellulite build-up. It helps in releasing toxins and other fat cells from the body and helps manage weight.
Essential oils can be added to bath water as well and immerse yourself for 20 minutes in it. Essential oils can be diluted with other carrier oils like jojoba oil, coconut oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, etc.
Essential oils can be inhaled to refresh your mood and release stress, anxiety, and depression. Inhalation of essential oils makes you feel fuller and curbs your appetite. It energizes your body and increases your metabolism rate which helps in reducing weight faster.
Essential oils can be inhaled directly from the bottle, or they can be applied on your pulse points, or a cotton ball can be soaked in the oil and you can inhale it.
Certain essential oils can be consumed, though it is recommended that before ingesting essential oils consult your doctor and take their advice.
You can add 1-2 drops of essential oil to a glass of water and consume it.
It is best when consumed immediately after waking up or before your meal.
DIY Essential Oil Belly Rub Recipe
- 4 drops of fennel oil
- 4 drops of juniper berry
- 8 drops of lemon oil
- 8 drops of grapefruit oil
- 5 drops of ginger oil
- 2 oz sweet almond oil
- Take a glass bottle and add all the above oils to it.
- Shake the bottle well to mix all the oils properly and make a nice blend.
- Take a few drops of this oil and massage your tummy area or your cellulite for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can use this essential oil blend twice a day.
You should ensure that you have a balanced diet, take an appropriate portion of everything, and exercise well along with using essential oils. This will help in reducing your weight faster. Make essential oils part of your weight loss journey to see positive results.
Using essential oils in your daily routine can help you in many different ways especially if you are trying to lose weight. Essential oils such as lemon oil, grapefruit oil, etc. have proved to be very effective in the weight loss journey. Using rosemary,lavender, and juniper berry essential oils for cellulite and stretch marks treatment is also commonly used nowadays.
One oil can do wonders for someone but might not achieve any results for someone else. So, it is recommended to keep switching essential oils to find out which oil suits you better. Also, it is recommended to keep switching the essential oils inhaled daily so that you do not get accustomed to any specific oil.
Frequently Asked Questions
What essential oils are good for weight loss?
Lemon oil, grapefruit oil, lavender oil, orange oil, peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, bergamot oil, ginger oil, garlic oil, fennel oil, juniper oil, sandalwood oil, eucalyptus oil, jasmine oil, frankincense oil, rosemary oil, sage, basil oil, and thyme oil are some of the best essential oils that are good for weight loss.
Which essential oils in a bath for weight loss?
Eucalyptus oil and bergamot oil can be used in baths for weight loss.
How do you use essential oils for weight loss?
Essential oils can be used topically, or it can be inhaled or it can also be ingested for weight loss goals.
Can essential oil massage reduce belly fat?
Yes. Massaging with essential oil can help reduce belly fat. Massaging with essential oil helps in improving digestion and reduces appetite.
- Akira Niijima. Experimental Biology and Medicine. Effect of Olfactory Stimulation with Flavor of Grapefruit Oil and Lemon Oil on the Activity of Sympathetic Branch in the White Adipose Tissue of the Epididymis. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/153537020322801014
- Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. (2010). Nootkatone, a characteristic constituent of grapefruit, stimulates energy metabolism and prevents diet-induced obesity by activating AMPK. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20501876/
- Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. (2013) Antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antinociceptive activities of essential oil from ginger. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24020099/
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Volume 219,(2018) The effects of Nigella sativa L. on obesity: A systematic review and meta-analysis. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874117336371?via%3Dihub
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Volume 265, (2021) Triterpene-enriched fractions from Eucalyptus tereticornis ameliorate metabolic alterations in a mouse model of diet-induced obesity. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874120331809?via%3Dihub
- J Health Psychol. (2008). Bruce Blaine. Does depression cause obesity?: A meta-analysis of longitudinal studies of depression and weight control. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18987092/
- Obesity Medicine. Volume 18, (2020) In vitro anti diabetic and anti obesity effect of J. communis extract on 3T3L1 mouse adipocytes: A possible role of MAPK/ERK activation. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2451847620300397?via%3Dihub
- Journal of Traditional and Complementary Medicine. Volume 4, Issue 2, (2014). Chemistry, Pharmacology, and Medicinal Property of Sage (Salvia) to Prevent and Cure Illnesses such as Obesity, Diabetes, Depression, Dementia, Lupus, Autism, Heart Disease, and Cancer. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2225411016302206?via%3Dihub
- Minju Kim. The Chemical Composition and Biological Activities of Essential Oil from Korean Native Thyme Bak-Ri-Hyang (Thymus quinquecostatus Celak.). https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/27/13/4251
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. Volume 231, (2019). Anti-obesity effect of garlic oil on obese rats via Shenque point administration. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378874118313540?via%3Dihub
- Wenli Sun. Natural Dietary and Medicinal Plants with Anti-Obesity Therapeutics Activities for Treatment and Prevention of Obesity during Lock Down and in Post-COVID-19 Era. https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/11/17/7889
1 thought on “19+ Best Essential Oils For Weight Loss : How To Use, DIY Recipes”