Essential oils come from different plant extracts and have medicinal and healing properties. (1) Essential oils can be used for treating various skin-related issues as well as health issues like pain, anxiety, etc.
Essential oils have certain properties that help reduce the appearance of scars. (2) It has properties that regenerate and rejuvenate skin to heal damaged skin and improve skin health.
Essential oils can help balance skin tone, reduce skin inflammation, and reduce redness to enhance the skin’s overall health.
Certain essential oils have wound-healing properties and can be used to heal scars naturally. Essential oils have antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that help treat scars and improve skin health. Below is a list of some of the must have best essential oils for scars.
What Are The Best Essential Oils For Removing Scars?
Following are the top 17 essential oils for skin that helps to remove scars.
1. Frankincense Essential Oil For Scars
Frankincense essential oil has properties that soothe skin and even tone the skin, which helps reduce the appearance of scars. Frankincense oil reduces the chances of scar formation, and its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties help fight the infection spread through a scar, thus reducing the impact of scars.
This oil naturally contains wound healing and scar-reducing properties, which boosts the skin healing process. (3) Frankincense oil, when used topically, can improve skin health and rejuvenate the skin.
2. Helichrysum Essential Oil For Scars
Helichrysum oil is rich in antioxidants and can be used for preventing scar formation. It has properties to regenerate new skin cells and fight free radicals helping even out the skin tone and reducing spots and scars.
It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antimicrobial properties that are good for healing scars and wounds. The use of this essential oil relieves skin rashes and wound infections and boosts collagen production, which is useful for scar reduction. (4)
3. Lavender Essential Oil To Reduce Appearance Of Scars
One of the most important benefits of using lavender oil for scaring is that it helps promote the generation of new tissue cells. The lavender essential oil also has antioxidants, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties, which are helpful in healing wounds like scars.
It also has wound-healing properties, which help in repairing damaged skin cells. It helps promote the regeneration of tissues, thus reducing scars. (5) Lavender oil also promotes collagen production. The topical application of lavender oil helps in speeding up the wounds and scar healing process.
4. Cedarwood Essential Oil
Cedarwood oil has regenerative and rejuvenating properties that are most useful in healing scars. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the inflammation of scars and offer relief from pain. This essential oil is useful for treating acne scars.
5. Carrot Seed Essential Oil
The carrot seed oil has antibacterial and antifungal properties, promoting early healing of scars. One of the significant benefits of using carrot seed essential oil is that it helps heal old scars. It is rich in antioxidants, making this oil a natural remedy for healing scars.
Scars are usually the result of wounds. (6)
Carrot seed essential oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties, which help in the quick healing of wounds, thus resulting in less scarring.
6. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree essential oil is one of the favorite essential oils of many people and is seen to be very commonly used by people in their skincare routine. Tea tree oil has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can treat scar tissue.
It has antifungal and antiviral properties, and tea tree oil is known for its ability to prevent infection and, thus, naturally reduce scars. It can fight acne scars as well. Tea tree oil can improve the skin’s health, giving it a rejuvenated look.
7. Patchouli Essential Oil For Scars
Patchouli oil is one of the most commonly used essential oil for scar reduction. This oil has many benefits and fights ailments like acne, eczema, chapped skin, etc. Its antibacterial properties promote healing and wound contraction and reduce the chances of scar generation.
It also soothes irritated skin, which is commonly experienced in scar tissue. Patchouli oil boosts collagen production, which helps lower the scar’s appearance.
8. Rosehip Essential Oil For Healing Scars
Rosehip seed oil is used to reduce the appearance of scars. This essential oil can treat acne scars, surgical scars, as well as wound scars. It has properties to improve skin conditions. The rosehip seed oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce redness and inflammation of the scar area.
It also has trans-retinoic acid, which has healing properties and benefits the wound-healing process. Rosehip oil can reduce older scars and hypertrophic scars that are thick and wide scar. (7)
9. Neroli Essential Oil For Scars
Neroli oil helps maintain the moisture of the skin. Applying neroli oil on scars helps in reducing itchiness and skin irritation over the scar area. It has skin regenerative properties that speedily promote skin tissue generation, reducing the appearance of scars. (8)
Neroli oil is useful for reducing stretch marks and scars if used regularly. The use of neroli oil also reduces pain and inflammation as it is a powerful healer. With the regular use of this essential oil, old existing scars may also fade away.
10. Geranium Essential Oil
One of the benefits of geranium oil, which is used in the scar tissue reduction process, is that it helps reduce inflammation because of its anti-inflammatory properties. It even tones the skin due to its rejuvenating properties. However, geranium oil should be used as a remedy for ear infections.
And it also promotes the generation of new skin cells. Geranium oil has wound healing properties like antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties. Geranium oil is considered a boon for new scars.
11. Chamomile Essential Oil For Scars
Chamomile oil has many medicinal properties and is used for healing purposes. It has antimicrobial properties that help fight the microbes usually found in a wound. Thus it promotes the healing of wounds, resulting in fewer chances of scar generation. It contains anti-inflammatory properties as well that reduce skin inflammation of scars.
12. Lemon Oil For Treating Scars
Lemon essential oil is well known for its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help fight bacterial infections and inflammation, which is witnessed in wounds. Thus it can be used for wound care purposes. This lessens the chances of scars. (9)
Lemon oil also possesses natural astringent properties that help to cool off scars and reduces inflammation; thus is suitable for scar and offers relief from irritation and pain.
13. Hyssop Essential Oil
Hyssop oil has properties that naturally repair damaged skin. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties that help prevent infections. It has antiseptic properties that naturally help heal wounds and lower scar generation. Hyssop oil is commonly used for medical purposes mainly because it is rich in antioxidants and, thus, helps treat scars.
14. Myrrh Essential Oil For Scars
Myrrh essential oil has natural healing properties. Myrrh oil has two major active compounds, namely terpenoids and sesquiterpenes. (10)
These compounds are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, which help heal wounds and, at the same time, facilitate skin cell regeneration. Thus by regular use of this oil, scar fading is possible.
15. Copaiba Essential Oil To Help Fade Scars
Copaiba oil contains high anti-inflammatory properties, which help heal the skin. It possesses beta-caryophyllene, which helps reduce skin irritation and speed up wound healing process, thus reducing the chances of scarring. (11)
16. Yarrow Essential Oil For Scars
Yarrow oil is rich in antioxidants and has properties that help boost skin health. Yarrow oil has natural astringent properties that promote shrinkage and can shrink the scar area, thus reducing the appearance of the scar.
It stimulates blood circulation and facilitates faster skin tissue regeneration. Some of its constituents that help in the more rapid healing of scars include punicic acid, chamazulene, and β-caryophyllene.
17. Magnolia Essential Oil For Scars
Magnolia is a floral oil that can be used to increase skin health. It has properties that help regenerate skin cells, thus helping reduce the scar. Magnolia oil also has moisturizing and hydrating properties that help keep the scar area moisturized and hydrated and offer relief from skin irritation and inflammation.
How To Use Essential Oils For Healing Scars?
- One of the best ways to use essential oils to heal scars is topical application.
- Essential oils should not be used directly on the skin as they might cause irritation to the skin.
- It is recommended that essential oils should be diluted with other carrier oils like hazelnut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, avocado oil, apricot oil, argan oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, etc.
Below are some of the steps to follow for using an essential oil on scars:
Step 1: Dilute the essential oil with carrier oil. Take 15 drops of essential oil, mix it with 30 ml of carrier oil, and store it in a glass bottle.
Step 2: Shake the bottle well to mix the blend.
Step 3: Apply this mix on the scar after regular intervals throughout the day.
Step 4: Keep the mixture on the skin, do not wash it.
Step 5: Apply this mixture regularly for a month or two or until you see results.
*Keep in mind: Do not use oils on an open wound. Avoid using essential oils if you have highly sensitive skin.
DIY Blends For Healing Different Types Of Scar
DIY Recipe #1 – Essential Oils Blend For Acne Scar
- 2 drops of Neroli
- 4 drops of Lavender oil
- 2 drops of Orange oil
- 2 drops of vitamin E oil
- 15 ml of argan oil (carrier oil)
- 30 ml glass bottle
How to Make:
- Mix the above ingredients in a 30 ml glass bottle and shake well to blend all the oils effectively.
How to Use:
- Clean the scar area properly by using a cleanser.
- Use 3 to 4 drops of this blend and apply it on the scar.
- Massage the site for a minute and let the skin absorb the oil naturally.
DIY Recipe #2 – Essential Oil Blend For Healing Surgical Scar
- 30 ml glass bottle
- 3 drops of chamomile oil
- 3 drops of frankincense oil
- 2 drops of rosehip oil
- 2 drops of clary sage oil
- 15 ml of almond oil or any other carrier oil of your choice
How to Make:
- Mix all the oils in a 30 ml glass bottle and blend it well gently.
How to Use:
- Clean the scar area
- Use 5 drops of the blend and apply it to the scar
- Massage it twice a day for a few days or until results can be seen
*Note: Do not apply the blend if the wound is open or until the stitches are removed.
DIY Recipe #3 – DIY Essential Oils Recipe For Healing Wound Scars
- 30 ml glass bottle
- 5 drops of rosehip oil
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
- 2 drops of jojoba oil
- 15 ml of coconut oil (carrier oil)
How to Make:
- Mix all the essential oils and carrier oil in 30 ml glass bottle and give it a gentle shake to blend it well.
How to Use:
- Clean the wound area
- Apply 5 drops of the DIY recipe on the affected area
- Massage it well for a minute, do not wash it off
*Note: Do not apply if the wound is open.
Precautions For Using Essential Oils To Reduce Scars
The use of essential oils may have little to no side effects. But to ensure that you face no side effects, it is advisable to follow some measures.
1. Patch Test
One of the most important safety precautions that should be adopted is undertaking a patch test before applying the essential oils to the affected area.
2. Dilute The Essential Oils
Always remember to dilute the essential oils before their application to the affected area. Undiluted essential oils might irritate your skin or might react. For this purpose, use carrier oils like jojoba oil, almond oil, or argan oil and then dilute the essential oils in it for usage.
Store the essential oil blend in a glass bottle and keep it in a cool place. Avoid direct sunlight.
4. Avoid If You Are Pregnant
Pregnant ladies should avoid the use of essential oils. Also, it should be kept out of reach of children and pets.
5. Use Fingers For Application
Use your two fingers to apply the essential oils blend on the affected scar area.
Essential oils help in healing the skin naturally. It has properties that help speed up the wound-healing process. In order to treat the scars, wound closure is necessary. Regular use of essential oils can speed up the healing process of scars, whether it is a new or old scar.
Frequently Asked Questions
What essential oils are good for scars?
Frankincense oil, helichrysum oil, lavender essential oil, cedarwood, carrot seed, tea tree oil, patchouli oil, rosehip essential oil, neroli essential oil, geranium oil, chamomile oil, lemon oil, hyssop oil, myrrh oil, copaiba oil, yarrow oil and magnolia oil are some of the essential oils that are good for scars removal.
Can frankincense oil heal scars?
Yes, frankincense oil has properties that even tones the skin and thus reduces the scars appearance. Frankincense essential oil has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help in fighting bacteria causing infections and heal the wound speedily, thus reducing the scar formation.
Does tea tree oil remove scars?
Yes, tea tree oil has antiseptic properties that help treat the scar tissue speedily. Tea tree oil repairs the skin from within and rejuvenates the skin to look even tone. It also fights acne scars.
Is eucalyptus oil good for scars?
Yes, eucalyptus oil has a eucalyptol compound that has antiseptic properties which helps in healing scars effectively. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which promotes the healing process of scars.
Can lavender oil remove scars?
Yes. Lavender essential oil helps in regenerating new skin tissues which is very important in scar healing. Lavender oil has properties that help in repairing damaged skin. Lavender oil can be used for topical application.
- Current Drug Metabolism, Volume 19, (2018) Essential Oils: Extraction Techniques, Pharmaceutical And Therapeutic Potential – A Review https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/cdm/2018/00000019/00000013/art00009
- KnE Social Sciences / 3rd UNJ International Conference on Technical and Vocational Education and Training 2018 (3rd ICTVET 2018) Influence of the Addition of the Essential Oil of Cinnamon (Cinnamomum burmanii) in Soap Against Skin Care. https://www.knepublishing.com/index.php/Kne-Social/article/view/4129
- Arab Journal of Nuclear Sciences and Applications. (2021) Radiation Synthesis of Psyllium/Frankincense Essential Oil –Based Wound Dressing Hydrogels: Antimicrobial, Antioxidant and Wound Healing Performance. https://journals.ekb.eg/article_152446.html
- Journal of Ethnopharmacology. (2014) Helichrysum italicum: From traditional use to scientific data https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S037887411300799X
- BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies. (2016) Wound healing potential of lavender oil by acceleration of granulation and wound contraction through induction of TGF-β in a rat model. https://bmccomplementmedtherapies.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12906-016-1128-7
- Food and Nutrition Sciences. Nutritional and Health Benefits of Carrots and Their Seed Extracts. https://www.scirp.org/html/5-2701422_52066.htm
- Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications. Evolution of Post-Surgical Scars Treated with Pure Rosehip Seed Oil. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/281336168_Evolution_of_Post-Surgical_Scars_Treated_with_Pure_Rosehip_Seed_Oil
- Sharon Falsetto, BA (Hons). NAHA Certified Professional Aromatherapist Orange (Citrus spp.): An All-round Family Favorite https://naha.org/assets/product-downloads/NAHAJournal-Summer2019-FinalRev-HQ-Email-Secured.pdf#page=19
- Phytomedicine Plus. (2022) Prospects of essential oil loaded nanosystems for skincare https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2667031321001809
- Essential Oils Loaded in Nanosystems: A Developing Strategy for a Successful Therapeutic Approach https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/651593/
- Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice. (2018). Effects of a massage-like essential oil application procedure using Copaiba and Deep Blue oils in individuals with hand arthritis https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1744388118304079