Hair fall is one of the serious issues that bothers a lot of people. Sometimes it becomes very difficult to deal with hair loss and thinning hair. There are many different reasons why hair loss increases. Age, health, stress, hormones, genes, medications, diet, etc., are some reasons behind hair loss.
There are hair growth treatments that promote hair growth. But these treatments can pick a hole in your pocket. So, what if there is a natural solution to promote hair growth that is also less expensive?
Essential oils are one of the most natural treatments that have the ability to promote hair growth. Essential oils these days have solutions to almost everything. Essential oils can help treat dry scalp issues; they can help thicken the hair, treat dandruff or hair loss, strengthen your hair, add natural shine to your hair, etc.
This article deals with essential oils for hair growth. Read further to identify some of the best essential oils that can promote hair growth.
What Are Some Of The Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth?
1. Lavender Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Lavender oil is one of the famous essential oils used for many different purposes, and one of its uses is for promoting hair growth. It has antimicrobial and antifungal properties that help treat different sorts of issues like dry scalp, etc., thus lavender oil promotes hair growth. Stress is also one of the causes of hair fall, and lavender oil is used for releasing stress as well. Thus it fights the causes of hair fall and promotes hair growth .
2. Rosemary Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Rosemary essential oil is considered to be the most effective essential oil that promotes hair growth and thickness. The use of rosemary oil helps stimulate hair growth, and it also improves cellular metabolism, which helps in healing different hair conditions. There are many different benefits of using rosemary oil. It helps prevent baldness, slows the greying process, and helps treat dandruff issues and dry scalp .
You can mix 3 to 5 drops of rosemary essential oil with equal parts of olive oil and then gently massage your scalp by using this mixture for 2 to 5 minutes. Then leave your hair for 3 to 4 hours to soak all the essentials of the oil, and then wash your hair.
3. Lemongrass Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Lemongrass oil is also one of the best essential oils for hair growth. Lemongrass helps in healing the itchy and irritated scalp and can strengthen hair follicles. The use of lemongrass oil fights many causes of hair loss, and thus help promotes hair growth. Its regular use for a few days can help in reducing dandruff. Lemongrass oil helps reduce stress, which is an important cause of hair loss.
Lemongrass oil can be added to shampoo or conditioner. Or you can also massage the oil directly to your scalp by taking 3 to 5 drops of lemongrass oil.
4. Cedarwood Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Cedarwood essential oil is one of the best essential oils that help in treating hair thinning and help with hair growth. Cedarwood oil helps stimulate circulation and hair follicles, thus healing the overall hair texture and promoting hair growth .
Cedarwood oil can be directly applied to hair and scalp. It can be used with other essential oils or carrier oils as well to massage the scalp and promote hair growth. Take 3 to 5 drops of cedarwood essential oil with 2 tablespoons of any carrier oil and massage the scalp with this mixture for 5 minutes. Keep it for 30 to 45 minutes, and then wash your hair.
5. Chamomile Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Chamomile essential oil is loved by many people for obvious reasons, as it promotes hair growth, strengthens the hair, and adds shine and softness to the hair. Chamomile oil is used in many hair care products. One of the unique features of chamomile essential oil is that it is used to lighten hair naturally. So, you can use chamomile oil to dye your hair naturally. This will protect your hair from harmful chemicals and will help improve the quality of hair.
6. Clary Sage Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Clary sage is an important essential oil that helps release stress which is one of the major causes of hair loss. Clary sage can help reduce dandruff and flaky patches on the scalp, thus improving the scalp’s health and promoting hair growth. Clary sage essential oil contains linalyl acetate.
7. Peppermint Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Peppermint oil is rich in antiseptic properties, and thus it helps fight many scalp-related issues like lice, dandruff, etc. According to a study undertaken in 2014, in which peppermint oil was tested on animals for promoting hair growth. It was found that peppermint essential oil helps increase follicle number, the depth of hair follicles, and increase dermal thickness. .
Peppermint oil has calming effects and thus helps reduce stress and eliminate this cause of hair loss. You can add peppermint oil to your shampoo or conditioner.
8. Tea Tree Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Tea tree oil is effective in promoting hair growth. Tea tree oil is one of the most famous essential oils that is being used for many different purposes like skincare, health care, and hair care. Tea tree oil has medicinal properties. This essential oil can help reduce dandruff and other scalp issues. The use of tea tree oil helps to improve hair health and improves the quality of hair follicles. This promotes hair growth and makes hair thicker . You can use a few drops of tea tree essential oil with equal parts of carrier oil and massage your scalp. It will help your hair grow.
9. Bergamot Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Bergamot essential oil has antimicrobial properties that help treat scalp conditions and hair issues. Bergamot essential oil can be used to improve hair growth .
10. Thyme Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Thyme oil is mostly used by people suffering from hair-thinning issues. It stimulates the scalp and strengthens hair follicles, and helps you grow. This oil helps improve hair thickness. Thyme oil is also used in hair loss treatment because of its natural scalp-healing properties.
11. Geranium Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Geranium essential oil helps in promoting faster hair growth. Using geranium oil for hair improves cellular responses and regulates the factors that help increase hair growth and reduce hair loss. It improves the quality and healthy hair growth and fights issues causing hair loss .
12. Cypress Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Cypress oil has proved to improve hair condition and promote hair growth. It strengthens and opens clogged hair follicles. The use of cypress oil has proved to reduce hair fall in mice. It has antimicrobial properties that help in fighting different scalp conditions. Cypress oil is used in many hair products .
13. Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Eucalyptus essential oil has properties that help fight dryness and itchiness of the scalp. Regularly using eucalyptus oil helps promote hair growth and improves hair quality by strengthening it and adding a natural shine to it.
14. Pine Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Pine oil is one of the most effective essential oils that promote hair growth, makes the hair shine naturally, cleans the hair, smoothens hair, and adds volume to hair. It has properties that fight dandruff, itchy scalp, etc.
15. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil for Hair Growth
Ylang Ylang oil has properties that can promote natural hair growth. It has therapeutic properties that help increase sebum production in the scalp, which helps in reducing hair breakage and hair falling. Ylang Ylang essential oil also acts as a natural conditioner, thus naturally adding shine and smoothness to your hair. This oil also helps in managing stress levels and thus fights causes of hair loss.
You can mix a few drops of ylang-ylang essential oil with any carrier oil like coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, etc., and massage the scalp for 4 to 5 minutes. Then leave the hair for 45 minutes to 1 hour and wash your hair. You can use this twice a week for the best results.
Benefits Of Essential Oils For Hair
Promotes Hair Growth
One of the most important benefits of essential oils is that it fights the cause of hair loss and tries to improve the quality and condition of the scalp to promote hair growth. It improves circulation and adds moisture to the scalp, promoting hair growth.
Nourishes Your Hair
The use of essential oil helps naturally add shine to hair. It nourishes the scalp and hair and promotes the quality of hair. Essential oils are free from toxic ingredients and harmful chemicals that can harm the quality and health of hair in the long run. It strengthens hair and prevents hair loss. It hydrates and soothes the scalp.
It Helps Get Rid Of Dandruff.
Dandruff is one of the common issues because of which hair loss takes place. It also causes excessive dryness and itchiness on the scalp resulting in weak hair strands. Essential oil helps reduce dandruff, dryness, and itchiness of the scalp. And thus promotes hair growth.
Stress is one of the major issues behind increasing hair loss. Using essential oils helps reduce stress and thus fights an important cause of hair fall. This promotes hair growth, improves hair quality, and strengthens it.
How To Use Essential Oils For Hair Growth?
- Essential oils are highly concentrated. So, diluting essential oils with a carrier oil is necessary before applying it. Carrier oils like olive oil or coconut oil, etc., have known benefits and properties that help promote hair growth and fight scalp issues.
- You can mix the essential oil with a carrier oil and massage your scalp for 5 to 10 minutes. Leave the oil on the scalp for 45 minutes to 1 hour and then wash it off. This will help improve your scalp condition and treat many hair issues.
- You can also add carrier oils to your shampoo and conditioner. For this, you can add 10 to 15 drops of carrier oil to your shampoo water and wash your hair twice a week.
Some of the most beneficial carrier oils for hair that can be used to dilute essential oils are:
Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has antifungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties that help heal different scalp issues and promote hair growth.
Olive Oil: Olive oil is one of the best carrier oils that are rich in vitamin E and other antioxidant properties that help get rid of dry scalp and also help get rid of dandruff.
Jojoba Oil: Jojoba oil soothes the scalp and helps unclog hair follicles. It also moisturizes the scalp and promotes hair growth.
*NOTE: There are chances that you might experience certain allergic reactions after using essential oils on your scalp. In such a case, immediately discontinue the use of essential oil and visit your doctor.
Avoid using excess essential oils as they can lead to oily hair and can cause scalp irritation.
DIY Hair Growth Serum
Essential oils promote hair growth and are one of the most natural ways to treat different hair conditions. DIY essential oils hair growth serum can be made simply at home by using the following ingredients and directions
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of thyme oil
- 4 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop of cypress oil
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon of argan oil
- Take a 1-ounce dropper bottle and add all the above oils in it.
- Shake the bottle gently to mix well all the oils.
- Take a few drops of this DIY serum and massage it on your scalp for 5 minutes.
- You can leave it in this serum, or if you want, you can shampoo and condition your hair after 20 to 30 minutes of massaging.
- If you want to shampoo and condition after this process, you need to take 2 tablespoons of this serum instead of a few drops and massage the scalp. Leave for 20 minutes and then wash it off.
Essential oils are one of the natural remedies that you can use instead of harmful chemicalized hair care products. It is natural and as effective as the hair care options available in the market. Essential oils have therapeutic and medicinal properties that help in healing the scalp condition and fight the causes of hair loss. It helps deal with issues like dry scalp, itchy scalp, dandruff, stress, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
What essential oil helps hair growth?
Lavender essential oil helps circulate blood in the scalp, strengthening the roots, thereby promoting hair growth.
How do you mix essential oils for hair growth?
Lavender, Peppermint and Rosemary essential oils can be mixed in equal parts to enhance the growth of hair.
What oil makes hair grow the most?
Lavender essential oil is known to boost hair growth and strengthen hair roots.
- Boo Hyeong Lee, Jae Soon Lee, and Young Chul Kim. (2016). Hair Growth-Promoting Effects of Lavender Oil in C57BL/6 Mice. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4843973/.
- M J Harries, clinical research fellow, J Sun, post-doctoral fellow , associate professor of dermatology, R Paus, professor of dermatology, and L E King, Jr, professor of medicine (dermatology). (2010). Management of alopecia areata. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230136/.
- Formulation and evaluation of hair growth enhancing effects of oleogels made from Rosemary and Cedar wood oils. Volume 16, July 2022, e01223. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2468227622001302.
- Ji Young Oh, Min Ah Park, and Young Chul Kim. (2014). Peppermint Oil Promotes Hair Growth without Toxic Signs. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/.
- Nattaya Lourith PhD,Mayuree Kanlayavattanakul PhD. (2013). Hair loss and herbs for treatment. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jocd.12051.
- Potential use of essential oils in cosmetic and dermatological hair products: A review. (2021). https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jocd.14286.
- Hair growth-promoting effect of Geranium sibiricum extract in human dermal papilla cells and C57BL/6 mice. (2017). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5307826/.
- Medicinal Plants of South Asia. 2020, Pages 191-205. Chapter 15 – Cypress. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B978008102659500015X.
2 thoughts on “15 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth | Essential Oils That Boost Hair Growth”
I may need your help. I tried many ways but couldn’t solve it, but after reading your article, I think you have a way to help me. I’m looking forward for your reply. Thanks.