Hemorrhoids can be a painful and uncomfortable ailment, affecting many individuals worldwide. Hemorrhoids, also known as piles, are swollen veins in the rectum and anus, often causing pain, bleeding, and itching. There are many medications available for hemorrhoids, but many people seek natural remedies to treat hemorrhoids. When it comes to managing the discomfort of hemorrhoids, the natural power of essential oils can be a game-changer.
Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts derived from various parts of plants, such as leaves, flowers, stems, or roots. These oils capture the natural aromatic compounds of the plants and are known for their distinctive scents and potential therapeutic properties. These essential oils are commonly used in aromatherapy, skincare, and holistic wellness, but very few know that they can also be used as a treatment for hemorrhoids.
Hemorrhoids, both internal and external, are a common ailment affecting many individuals. Internal Hemorrhoids occur inside the rectum and may not cause pain. However, they can lead to bleeding during bowel movements. External Hemorrhoids form under the skin around your anus or the outside of the anal opening. They can be itchy or painful, especially during sitting or bowel movements. Both types can cause symptoms like rectal bleeding, itching, and discomfort.
You can use essential oils to treat hemorrhoids. In the below section, we are going to discuss the top essential oils for the treatment of hemorrhoids. Let’s discover the effectiveness of hemorrhoids home treatment essential oils as one of the best natural remedies for discomfort.
Best essential oils for hemorrhoids | Essential oils for treating hemorrhoids
Following is the list of the Best essential oils for Hemorrhoids
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil, renowned for its calming properties, extends its benefits to hemorrhoid relief. Its anti-inflammatory and analgesic attributes make it a powerful contender in reducing swelling and soothing discomfort. This is one of the best essential oils that can help treat hemorrhoids.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil, with its potent antiseptic qualities, can be a game-changer for hemorrhoid sufferers. Its antibacterial nature aids in preventing infections, promoting a faster healing process.
Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress oil, known for its circulatory benefits, can enhance blood flow in the affected area. Improved circulation contributes to faster healing, making it an essential oil worth considering.
Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil, with its regenerative properties, aids in the natural healing of tissues. It promotes cell renewal, fostering a quicker recovery from hemorrhoidal discomfort.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint oil‘s cooling sensation provides instant relief from itching and irritation associated with hemorrhoids. Its analgesic properties can also numb the affected area, offering comfort. It can offer relief from painful hemorrhoids.
Helichrysum Essential Oil
Helichrysum essential oil is anti-inflammatory in nature and can significantly reduce swelling and inflammation linked to hemorrhoids. Its gentle nature makes it suitable for even the most sensitive skin.
Chamomile Essential Oil
Chamomile oil’s soothing properties extend beyond relaxation. It can effectively calm irritated skin, making it a valuable addition to your hemorrhoid relief arsenal.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil’s decongestant abilities are not limited to respiratory issues. When applied topically, it can help reduce swelling and promote easier bowel movements, easing the discomfort of hemorrhoids.
Juniper Berry Essential Oil
Juniper berry oil’s detoxifying properties can aid in reducing inflammation and discomfort. Its soothing effect makes it a potential solution for hemorrhoidal relief. This is one of the best natural hemorrhoid treatment essential oils that you can try.
Myrrh Essential Oil
Myrrh oil, with its rich history in traditional medicine, possesses potent anti-inflammatory and analgesic qualities. It can be a valuable asset in the journey towards hemorrhoid relief.
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil’s citrusy aroma isn’t its only virtue. Its astringent properties can help shrink swollen blood vessels, contributing to the alleviation of hemorrhoidal symptoms.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil, known for enhancing circulation, can aid in the healing process by ensuring a steady blood flow to the affected area. This promotes faster recovery from hemorrhoids.
Geranium Essential Oil
This is one of the most effective essential oils for hemorrhoids. Geranium oil’s balancing effects can contribute to the overall well-being of the affected area. It helps in calming inflammation and providing relief from the discomfort of hemorrhoids.
Yarrow Essential Oil
Yarrow oil’s hemostatic properties make it effective in reducing bleeding associated with hemorrhoids. It’s a valuable addition to natural remedies aimed at alleviating this common ailment.
Clary Sage Essential Oil
Clary sage oil, with its hormonal balancing qualities, can contribute to the overall healing process. It aids in reducing inflammation and promoting a sense of well-being in individuals dealing with hemorrhoids.
Dill oil contains antispasmodic properties that can provide relief from the pain associated with hemorrhoids, offering a natural solution. It is ideal for treating hemorrhoids and the discomfort associated with hemorrhoids.
Oregano Essential Oil
Oregano oil is one of the best natural remedies for hemorrhoids. The oil contains antimicrobial properties which make it an effective choice for preventing infections around the anus, promoting a healthy healing process.
Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
Those who suffer from hemorrhoids should definitely try this essential oil. Cinnamon bark oil’s warming properties can enhance blood circulation, which helps with hemorrhoids.
Myrtle Essential Oil
Myrtle oil has astringent qualities that contribute to the tightening of tissues, helping to alleviate the symptoms of both internal and external hemorrhoids.
Clove Essential Oil
This is one of the most effective essential oils for relief from hemorrhoids. Clove oil, with its potent analgesic properties, stands out as an excellent choice for treating hemorrhoids. Its ability to alleviate pain associated with hemorrhoids makes it a go-to option for many.
The Benefits of Using Essential Oils for Hemorrhoids
Natural Healing Properties
Essential oils are renowned for their natural healing properties. When applied to hemorrhoids, these oils can aid in reducing inflammation, soothing irritation, and promoting the overall healing process. Unlike synthetic alternatives, essential oils offer a gentle and holistic approach to treating hemorrhoids.
Alleviation of Pain and Discomfort
Pain associated with hemorrhoids can be debilitating. Essential oils, such as clove oil, peppermint oil, and chamomile oil, boast analgesic properties that provide effective relief. These oils work to numb the affected area, reducing pain and discomfort, and allowing individuals to go about their daily activities more comfortably.
Inflammation is a common symptom of hemorrhoids, contributing to swelling and heightened discomfort. Essential oils like geranium oil, frankincense oil, and cypress oil exhibit potent anti-inflammatory effects. By reducing inflammation, these oils help ease the pressure on hemorrhoidal veins, alleviating symptoms.
Soothing Itching and Irritation
Itching is a bothersome symptom of hemorrhoids that can significantly impact one’s quality of life. Essential oils, including tea tree oil, lavender oil, and helichrysum oil, possess anti-itching properties. When applied topically, these oils soothe itching, providing immediate relief and improving overall comfort.
Astringent and Toning Qualities
For both internal and external hemorrhoids, astringent properties are valuable. Essential oils like myrtle oil and juniper berry oil act as natural astringents, promoting the tightening of tissues. This toning effect helps reduce the swelling of hemorrhoids, contributing to a faster recovery.
Antibacterial and Antimicrobial Benefits
Preventing infections is crucial during hemorrhoid treatment. Essential oils such as oregano oil and cinnamon bark oil possess powerful antibacterial and antimicrobial benefits. By inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria, these oils support a clean and infection-free healing process.
Relaxation and Stress Reduction
Dealing with hemorrhoids can be stressful, both physically and emotionally. Essential oils like sandalwood oil and patchouli oil offer relaxation and stress-reducing benefits. The calming aromas of these oils contribute to an overall sense of well-being, complementing the physical relief they provide.
Versatility in Application
One of the significant advantages of using essential oils is their versatility in application. Whether you prefer topical application, aromatherapy, or incorporating them into your bath, essential oils can be tailored to suit your preferences. This adaptability enhances the user experience and ensures that individuals can integrate these oils seamlessly into their daily routines.
Effective Ways to Use Essential Oils for Hemorrhoid Treatment
Hemorrhoids, though common, can be a source of significant discomfort. The use of essential oils presents a natural and soothing remedy for managing hemorrhoid symptoms. Understanding the various ways to apply these oils is crucial for maximizing their benefits. In this article, we’ll explore different methods for using essential oils in hemorrhoid treatment.
Topical Application with Carrier Oils
Coconut Oil or Jojoba Oil
Coconut oil and jojoba oil stand out as excellent carrier oils for essential oils. Known for their moisturizing properties, these carrier oils provide a smooth and gentle base for essential oils, ensuring that they can be applied directly to the affected area without causing irritation.
Diluted in a Carrier Oil
To ensure safe and effective application, essential oils should be diluted with a carrier oil. This not only prevents skin irritation but also allows for better absorption of the essential oil. When dealing with hemorrhoids, dilute the essential oil well to achieve the desired concentration.
Direct Application for Quick Relief
Applying the Oil to Affected Areas
For targeted relief, directly applying the oil to the affected areas is an effective method. Whether using lavender oil, tea tree oil, or any other essential oil chosen for its specific benefits, this approach allows the oil to work directly on the hemorrhoids, providing swift relief.
Use of Essential Oils for Symptomatic Relief
Certain essential oils, such as peppermint oil and chamomile oil, are known for their immediate soothing effects. The use of essential oils in this manner ensures that individuals can address specific symptoms like pain and itching promptly.
Incorporating Essential Oils into Daily Hygiene Routine
Using the Oil in Bathwater
Adding a few drops of your chosen essential oil to your bathwater is an excellent way to incorporate it into your daily hygiene routine. This method allows for overall relief, as the oil disperses in the water, providing a soothing experience for the entire anal area.
Diluted with a Carrier Oil in Sitz Baths
For a more targeted approach, consider using essential oils in sitz baths. Diluting the oil with a carrier oil ensures that it is evenly distributed in the water, offering relief to the affected area and promoting a more comfortable experience.
Gentle Massages with Essential Oils
Gentle massages using essential oils can aid in improving blood circulation and promoting healing. When using essential oils for hemorrhoid treatment, a massage with a carrier oil facilitates absorption and enhances the therapeutic effects of the oils.
Adding to Lotions or Creams
You can enhance the healing properties of your regular lotions or creams by adding a few drops of essential oil. This method allows for convenient and daily application.
DIY recipes using essential oils to treat hemorrhoids
Following are some of the essential oil blend recipes for hemorrhoids:
Soothing Topical Blend
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (carrier oil)
- 5 drops of tea tree oil
- 3 drops of lavender oil
- 2 drops of chamomile oil
- In a small bowl, mix the coconut oil with the specified drops of tea tree oil, lavender oil, and chamomile oil.
- Ensure you dilute the essential oil well to avoid skin irritation.
- Apply the blend directly to the affected area for targeted relief.
- Reapply as needed, especially after bowel movements.
This blend combines the anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil with the calming effects of lavender and chamomile, providing relief for both pain and itching associated with hemorrhoids.
Healing Sitz Bath
- 1 cup of Epsom salt
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 3 drops of frankincense oil
- 2 drops of helichrysum oil
- Fill your bathtub with warm water and add the Epsom salt.
- Mix in the specified drops of peppermint oil, frankincense oil, and helichrysum oil.
- Soak in the bath for 15-20 minutes to allow the essential oils to work on the affected area.
- Pat the area dry after the bath.
This soothing sitz bath combines the cooling sensation of peppermint oil with the healing properties of frankincense and helichrysum, providing relief for severe cases of hemorrhoids.
Quick Itch Relief Roller
- 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 3 drops of chamomile oil
- 2 drops of tea tree oil
- In a small roller bottle, mix the aloe vera gel with the specified drops of lavender oil, chamomile oil, and tea tree oil.
- Roll the blend directly onto the affected area for instant relief from itching.
- Store the roller bottle in the refrigerator for an additional cooling effect.
This quick itch-relief roller combines the anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of lavender and chamomile with the antiseptic benefits of tea tree oil.
Cooling Hemorrhoid Cream
- 2 tablespoons of shea butter
- 5 drops of peppermint oil
- 3 drops of cypress oil
- 2 drops of chamomile oil
- In a double boiler, melt the shea butter until it becomes liquid.
- Let it cool slightly, then add the specified drops of peppermint oil, cypress oil, and chamomile oil.
- Mix well and transfer the blend to a small jar.
- Allow the cream to solidify before applying it to the affected area.
This cooling hemorrhoid cream combines the soothing effects of chamomile with the vasoconstrictor properties of cypress and the cooling sensation of peppermint, offering relief for severe cases of hemorrhoids.
Calming Essential Oil Suppositories
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 5 drops of lavender oil
- 3 drops of helichrysum oil
- 2 drops of juniper berry oil
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Remove from heat and let it cool slightly.
- Stir in the specified drops of lavender oil, helichrysum oil, and juniper berry oil.
- Pour the mixture into silicone moulds or ice cube trays and place in the refrigerator to solidify.
- Once solid, insert one suppository daily for relief from internal hemorrhoids.
These calming suppositories harness the healing properties of lavender and helichrysum, along with the detoxifying benefits of juniper berry oil, providing a targeted and effective treatment for hemorrhoids.
You can use these recipes as a home treatment for hemorrhoids.
Risks and Precautions of Using Essential Oils for Hemorrhoids
While essential oils can be effective in managing hemorrhoid symptoms, it’s crucial to be aware of potential risks and take necessary precautions to ensure their safe usage. Here are important considerations when incorporating essential oils into your hemorrhoid treatment:
Sensitivity and Allergies
Essential oils are highly concentrated extracts, and individuals may have varying levels of sensitivity or allergies. Before widespread use, perform a patch test by applying a small amount of diluted oil to a small area of the skin to check for any adverse reactions.
Undiluted essential oils may cause skin irritation, especially in individuals with sensitive skin. Remember to dilute this essential oil well by mixing it with carrier oil before applying it to hemorrhoids. This minimizes the risk of irritation while maximizing the benefits of the essential oil.
Internal Use Caution
While some essential oils can be used internally, caution must be exercised, especially with severe cases of hemorrhoids. Essential oils must be labelled safe for internal use, and consultation with a healthcare professional is advised before ingesting any essential oil.
Interaction with Medications
Individuals taking medications or undergoing medical treatments should consult with their healthcare provider before using essential oils. Some oils may interact with medications, affecting their efficacy or causing adverse reactions.
Essential oils are potent, and improper use may lead to complications. Remember to dilute essential oils appropriately, following recommended guidelines for dilution ratios. Diluting essential oils with a carrier oil ensures their safe and effective application.
Avoiding Certain Oils
Certain essential oils may be too harsh for hemorrhoids, especially if they are in an irritated or inflamed state. Avoid oils that may exacerbate the condition, and opt for gentler options known for their soothing properties.
Pregnancy and Nursing
Pregnant or nursing individuals should exercise caution when using essential oils. While some oils are generally considered safe, consulting with a healthcare professional is essential to ensure the safety of both the mother and the baby.
Essential Oils as Complementary Treatment
Essential oils may work well as a complementary treatment for hemorrhoids, but they should not replace conventional medical advice or prescribed medications. Always consult with a healthcare professional for a comprehensive treatment plan.
Many people experience hemorrhoids at some point in time, and this journey can be made more manageable by exploring the potential benefits of incorporating essential oils into their treatment regimen. Hemorrhoids are swollen veins that often bring discomfort, and seeking natural alternatives can provide relief. Essential oils are made from plant extracts and harness the power of nature, individuals can find solace in these aromatic remedies. While these oils may also aid in symptomatic relief, it’s essential to recognize that they are just one facet of a holistic approach.
You can choose any essential oils from this list and it will help you deal with common symptoms of hemorrhoids including pain, itching, and discomfort. Essential oils may also contribute to the overall wellbeing of those dealing with hemorrhoidal challenges.
Frequently Asked Questions
What essential oils are good for hemorrhoids?
Patchouli oil, oregano oil, frankincense oil, lavender oil, juniper berry oil, dill oil, helichrysum oil, clove oil, myrtle oil, cypress oil, sandalwood oil, chamomile oil, geranium oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil are some of the essential oils that are good for hemorrhoids.
Can oils help hemorrhoids?
Yes. Essential oils have analgesic properties, anti-inflammatory properties, antibacterial properties, antimicrobial properties, antioxidants, etc. which helps in treating hemorrhoids.
Can you use lavender oil on hemorrhoids?
Yes. Lavender oil has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that helps in reducing pain, inflammation, itchiness, and irritation of hemorrhoids.
Is eucalyptus oil good for hemorrhoids?
Yes. Eucalyptus essential oil has properties that help in reducing swelling, and irritation caused due to hemorrhoids.
- Kaidar-Person, O., Person, B. and Wexner, S.D., 2007. Hemorrhoidal disease: a comprehensive review. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, 204(1), pp.102-117. https://journals.lww.com/journalacs/Fulltext/2007/01000/Hemorrhoidal_Disease__A_Comprehensive_Review.14.aspx
- Mullaicharam, A.R., Maheswari, R.U., Geetha, K., Panicker, P.S. and Chandralekha, V., 2010. Hemorrhoids: a review. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology, 3(2), pp.296-299. https://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:rjpt&volume=3&issue=2&article=001
- Hanif, M.A., Nisar, S., Khan, G.S., Mushtaq, Z. and Zubair, M., 2019. Essential oils. Essential Oil Research: Trends in Biosynthesis, Analytics, Industrial Applications and Biotechnological Production, pp.3-17. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-16546-8_1
- Mahboubi, M., 2017. Effectiveness of Myrtus communis in the treatment of hemorrhoids. Journal of integrative medicine, 15(5), pp.351-358. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2095496417603406
- Srivastava, J.K., Shankar, E. and Gupta, S., 2010. Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with a bright future. Molecular medicine reports, 3(6), pp.895-901. https://www.spandidos-publications.com/mmr/3/6/895
- Sayorwan, W., Siripornpanich, V., Piriyapunyaporn, T., Hongratanaworakit, T., Kotchabhakdi, N. and Ruangrungsi, N., 2012. The effects of lavender oil inhalation on emotional states, autonomic nervous system, and brain electrical activity. https://www.thaiscience.info/journals/Article/JMAT/10971475.pdf
- Carson, C.F., Hammer, K.A. and Riley, T.V., 2006. Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil: a review of antimicrobial and other medicinal properties. Clinical microbiology reviews, 19(1), pp.50-62. https://journals.asm.org/doi/abs/10.1128/CMR.19.1.50-62.2006
- Hussain, M.K., Saquib, M., Ahamad, T., Khatoon, S. and Khan, M.F., 2019. Mediterranean cypress “Cupressus sempervirens”: A review on phytochemical and pharmacological properties. Current Traditional Medicine, 5(4), pp.278-297. https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/ben/ctm/2019/00000005/00000004/art00004
- Lemenith, M. and Teketay, D., 2003. Frankincense and myrrh resources of Ethiopia: II. Medicinal and industrial uses. SINET: Ethiopian Journal of Science, 26(2), pp.161-172. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/sinet/article/view/18213
- Mars, B. and Fiedler, C., 2014. The Country Almanac of Home Remedies: Time-Tested & Almost Forgotten Wisdom for Treating Hundreds of Common Ailments, Aches & Pains Quickly and Naturally. Fair Winds Press. https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=luMREAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&dq=Peppermint+oil%27s+cooling+sensation+provides+instant+relief+from+itching+and+irritation+associated+with+hemorrhoids.+&ots=gOe4Zgm2Hf&sig=6ESvLQjAa0u_pmnvU4bL23CnJVA
- Viegas, D.A., Palmeira-de-Oliveira, A., Salgueiro, L., Martinez-de-Oliveira, J. and Palmeira-de-Oliveira, R., 2014. Helichrysum italicum: From traditional use to scientific data. Journal of ethnopharmacology, 151(1), pp.54-65. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S037887411300799X
- Axe, J., Rubin, J. and Bollinger, T., 2020. The Essential Oils Home Remedy Guide. Destiny Image Publishers. https://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=iEFUEAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT7&dq=eucalyptus+oil+help+reduce+swelling+and+promote+easier+bowel+movements,+easing+the+discomfort+of+hemorrhoids.&ots=L1ESoc9n7s&sig=YdyhFKhHXQPODcKle8InfJ7u-6Q
- Sagorchev, P., Lukanov, J. and Beer, A.M., 2010. Investigations into the specific effects of rosemary oil at the receptor level. Phytomedicine, 17(8-9), pp.693-697. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0944711309002554
- Mahmoudi, A., Seyedsadeghi, M., Miran, M., Ahari, S.S., Layegh, H. and Mostafalou, S., 2023. Therapeutic effect of Achillea millefolium on the hemorrhoids; A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. Journal of Herbal Medicine, 39, p.100657.https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2210803323000350