Vanilla essential oil is extracted from the vanilla bean pods through the extraction method called solvent extraction. Vanilla oil has a very strong sweet, warm, and comforting scent which makes it very popular in the perfume industry (1). Apart from its popular aroma, vanilla oil has many benefits and uses. It is used for promoting healthcare, haircare, and skincare. Vanilla oleoresin oil is being used since ages as a part of natural home remedy. It also has great nutritional value.
It is rich in many different properties like antioxidants which makes it beneficial for your health. This is a great choice for aromatherapy and body care. There are many uses and benefits of vanilla oil that will be explored in this article.
Essential oils are gaining wide relevance these days. Essential oils are plant extracts that are extracted from different parts of plants like flower, stem, fruit, etc. This makes essential oils a natural ingredient that is safe to use. Though, there are certain precautions that needs to be undertaken.
In this article, complete guide related to vanilla essential oil has been provided which includes its benefits, uses, DIY recipes, and precautions that should be undertaken to avoid any side effects.
Continue reading to learn more about vanilla essential oil.
Benefits of Vanilla Essential oil On Health
1. Relaxation and Stress Relief
Vanilla oil contains natural calming properties that helps promote relaxation and offers you relief from stress (2). This oil has a very sweet scent that instantly helps uplift your mood and helps you calm down. It soothes both your mind and body and also promotes mental wellness.
2. Aphrodisiac Properties
Aphrodisiac is considered as one of the most important properties of vanilla oil. It has a sweet and sensual aroma and thus is used to create a romantic ambience and intimate atmosphere (3). This oil can stimulate your senses and also enhance your sensuality. Vanilla has a calming effect on your senses and it also helps set the mood.
3. Anti-inflammatory Properties
Vanilla oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation in the body (4). This oil can be used to treat health conditions like joint pain, arthritis, etc. It can also be used to treat asthma, and skin conditions like eczema.
4. Antioxidant Properties
Vanilla oil contains antioxidant properties that help in protecting the body from free radicals and thus protects the skin from damage (5). Free radicals cause skin aging and, the antioxidant properties help fight signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, etc.
5. Promotes Hair Care
Vanilla oil has high moisturizing and nourishing content and thus is used in many hair care products to give you smooth, shiny, and silky hair. Vanilla oil has properties that help in protecting and solving dry scalp issues. It can help strengthen your hair and reduce hair fall. Thus, it promotes healthy hair and scalp (6).
Benefits of Vanilla oil for skin
Vanilla oil is a lot more than its fragrance. It has properties like antibacterial, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, etc. that helps in improving the overall skin health. Let’s find out some of the best benefits of vanilla oil for the skin:
1. Fights Acne
One of the most important benefits of vanilla oil is that it is rich in anti-bacterial properties that help in fighting acne. It has natural cleansing properties that help clear your skin deeply and takes away all the dirt and impurities from the skin. Its antibacterial properties restricts bacterial growth on the skin.
It help dry out the acne and also reduces acne marks and scars. Another major benefit is that it also restricts the generation of new acne on the skin. It is also rich in antiviral and antifungal properties which are also helpful in treating acne (7).
2. Fights Signs of Aging
Vanilla oil is rich in anti-aging properties which helps fight signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, crows feet, etc. It also help fade away age spots and blemishes from the skin. It fights free radicals that leads to premature aging. You can apply vanilla essential oil on skin after diluting it with any carrier oil.
3. Wound Healing
Vanilla oil contains natural wound healing properties that makes it appropriate to treat burns, scars, cuts, etc. on the skin. It speeds up the healing process and also reduces burn scars. Once your wound is closed you can apply vanilla oil on it. Remember not to apply vanilla on oil a fresh wound as it can cause skin irritation, inflammation, itchiness, etc. It has natural calming and soothing properties that also calms the skin (8).
4. Improves Dull and Dry Skin
Vanilla oil contains antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that help heal and maintain the skin health. It’s antioxidant properties protects the skin from environmental stressors and thus reduces the chances of dull and dry skin. It has rejuvenating and revitalising properties that reduces dull and dry skin issue and gives you a youthful and radiant skin. It help release toxins from the skin.
5. Improves Skin Texture
Vanilla oil has all the natural properties that help improve skin texture. Instead of using harmful chemical induced products available in the market, one should rely on vanilla oil. It reduces skin irritation, inflamed skin, itchy skin, and hydrates the skin to improve the overall skin texture.
6. Improves Overall Skin Health
Vanilla oil is rich in B vitamins like thiamine, niacin, vitamin B6, and pantothenic acid which help improve the overall quality and health of your skin. Vanilla oil protects the skin from pollutants.
Uses of Vanilla Essential Oil
Following are some of the uses for vanilla essential oil:
This is one of most common uses of vanilla essential oil. Vanilla oil has sweet scent that lasts long and this is the reason it is very commonly used in aromatherapy. The vanilla oil scent can promote relaxation and helps uplift your mood instantly. Thus, diffusing this oil after a long hectic day can help you relax instantly due to its calming properties. You can use essential oil diffuser for this purpose.
This is another major important use of vanilla oil. It contains many properties like antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, etc. that helps in dealing with many different skin conditions. It is highly moisturizing in nature and thus helps treat dry skin conditions, like eczema. It has properties that fights signs of aging and reduces dark spots, blemishes, etc. It also improves skin elasticity giving your skin a younger look. Use vanilla oil to add with face creams, lotions, body oil, etc. and applied topically on the skin to enjoy its benefits.
Vanilla oil is also used in haircare products mainly because of its sweet fragrance. It also contains moisturizing properties that can be used for silky hair. A few drops of vanilla oil can be added to your shampoo and conditioner to add aroma of vanilla to it.
Vanilla oil can be used in the form of massage oil to soothe sore muscles. Massaging vanilla oil can also promote relaxation. It has comforting and calming properties that can be enjoyed while massaging. This essential oil also contains aphrodisiac properties.
Vanilla oil can also be used in cooking as it adds sweet and warm flavor to the food. Though, many essential oils are not meant for consumptions due to its high potent nature. So, it is advised to check before using this oil for consumption purpose. If you are using the oil for consumption then use very small amount of the oil just to give an aromatic twist to your food.
What Precautions Should Be Taken While Using Vanilla Essential Oil?
Vanilla oleoresin essential oil is generally considered safe when used properly, but it’s important to take certain precautions and safety measures to ensure you’re using it safely and effectively. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Always dilute: Essential oils are highly concentrated and should never be applied directly to the skin. Always dilute vanilla oleoresin essential oil with any carrier oil, such as coconut oil or jojoba oil, before topical application.
- Patch test: Before using vanilla oleoresin essential oil topically, do a patch test to make sure you don’t have any allergic reaction. Apply a small amount of the diluted oil to a small area of the skin and wait 24 hours to see if any redness, itching, or irritation occurs.
- Avoid contact with eyes: Essential oils should never come into contact with your eyes. If this happens, rinse your eyes immediately with cool water and seek medical attention if necessary.
- Keep out of reach of children and pets: Essential oils should be kept out of reach of children and pets, as they can be toxic if ingested.
- Consult a healthcare professional: If you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or have a medical condition, consult a healthcare professional before using vanilla oleoresin essential oil.
- Store properly: Essential oils should be stored in a cool, dark place and away from direct sunlight to prevent degradation.
- Use in moderation: While vanilla oleoresin essential oil is generally safe, it’s important to use it in moderation. Overuse can cause skin irritation, headaches, and other side effects.
By following these precautions and safety measures, you can safely and effectively use vanilla oleoresin essential oil to enjoy its many benefits.
DIY Vanilla Oil Recipes
Recipe #1 – Vanilla Sugar Scrub
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup fractionated coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla oleoresin essential oil
- Take a bowl and mix sugar and coconut oil together.
- Add vanilla oil and mix well.
- Store this mixture in an air tight container.
- Store in a cool and dark place.
- Take a small amount of this mixture and apply it on damp skin and massage in circular motion. Rinse it later using warm water.
Recipe #2 – Vanilla Bath Salts
- 2 cups of Epsom salt
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla oil
- Mix the Epsom salt and baking soda in a bowl until well combined.
- Add the vanilla oleoresin essential oil and blend well.
- Store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add a handful of the salts to a warm bath and soak for 20-30 minutes.
Recipe #3 – Vanilla Room Spray
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 15 drops vanilla oleoresin essential oil
- In a spray bottle, mix together the water and vodka.
- Add the vanilla oleoresin essential oil and shake well to combine.
- Use as a room spray to freshen up any space with vanilla’s sweet and comforting aroma.
Vanilla essential oil is a popular oil due to its sweet and comforting aroma, as well as its many benefits. It can be used in aromatherapy, skincare, haircare, cooking, and home fragrance. However, taking precautions when using vanilla essential oil is important to avoid any negative impacts. And to purchase it from a reputable source. There are many health benefits of vanilla oil and also many different ways to use this oil. In this article, these aspects are covered in detail.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does vanilla oleoresin smell like?
Vanilla oleoresin oil has a warm, sensual, and sweet smell which is very intoxicating in nature. Vanilla oil is majorly loved by people because of its great scent that has a soothing effect on mind.
Is vanilla oleoresin safe for skin?
Vanilla oleoresin oil has many properties, necessary nutrients, and vitamins that are great for your skin and are also safe to the skin.
What can I mix with vanilla oleoresin oil?
Vanilla oleoresin oil can be mixed with many different oils like peppermint, sweet orange, neroli, nutmeg, citrus oils, etc. It can also be mixed with carrier oils like sweet almond oil, coconut oil, grapeseed oil, jojoba oil, etc.
Can I put vanilla oleoresin oil in my hair?
Yes, you can put vanilla oleoresin oil in your hair to give a natural shine and strength to your hair. It helps in improving the appearance of the hair.
- Chapter 48 – Vanilla https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/B9780081026595000483
- Vanilla oil contains natural calming properties that helps promote relaxation and offers you relief from stress. https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=cu4uEAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT6&dq=VanillV+oil+contains+natural+calming+properties+that+helps+promote+relaxation+and+offers+yoy+relief+from+stress.+&ots=nRzC_Ykm7C&sig=UhF1m9OnO7w0zSTu9Njej7pbDgA&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=Vanilla%20oil%20contains%20natural%20calming%20properties%20that%20helps%20promote%20relaxation%20and%20offers%20you%20relief%20from%20stress.&f=false
- Vanilla as a Medicinal Plant https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1543115006000020
- Vanilla – Natural Vs Artificial : A Review https://www.indianjournals.com/ijor.aspx?target=ijor:rjpt&volume=12&issue=6&article=083
- Characteristic of aroma components and antioxidant activity of essential oil from Ocimum tenuiflorum leaves https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ffj.3701
- Vanilla oil promotes healthy hair https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=hS-aDgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PT55&dq=Vanilla+oil+promotes+healthy+hair&ots=LrGlJUBbz1&sig=3DeBYV2RlQJH4G2B-9n2LIWaWYU&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Octenyl Succinic Acid Starch-Stabilized Vanilla Essential Oil Pickering Emulsion: Preparation, Characterization, Antioxidant Activity, and Storage Stability https://www.mdpi.com/2304-8158/11/7/987