Age spots, also known as liver spots or solar lentigines, are small, dark areas that often appear on the skin as we age. They are caused by excessive sun exposure and are common in areas frequently exposed to the sun, such as the face, hands, shoulders, and arms. While age spots are harmless, many people seek ways to minimize their appearance and achieve flawless skin.
There are many commercial products available in stores to reduce age spots. But people these days are demanding natural solutions to deal with their skin issues. Essential oils are one of the most effective natural solutions for treating dark spots or age spots.
Essential oils have gained immense popularity in the realm of natural skincare due to their potent properties and numerous benefits for the skin. These oils are extracted from various plants and contain powerful antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that can help reduce the appearance of age spots and promote healthy skin.
What Causes Age Spots?
Age spots are primarily caused by the overproduction of melanin, the pigment responsible for the color of our skin, eyes, and hair. UV rays from the sun stimulate the production of melanin, leading to an uneven distribution in the skin, resulting in dark spots. Age spots can be seen in the form of brown spots on your skin, fine lines, wrinkles, crow’s feet, etc.
What Are The Best Essential Oils For Age Spots?
1. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon essential oil is a natural skin brightener and an excellent choice for fading age spots. This citrus oil is rich in vitamin C, which helps to lighten dark spots and even out the skin tone. Additionally, lemon essential oil possesses antiseptic properties that can keep the skin clean and free from harmful bacteria. Its regular use can help reduce wrinkles and prevent age spots. This essential oil can improve many skin conditions like oily skin issues, dry skin issues, etc.
2. Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense oil is renowned for its rejuvenating properties. It can help reduce the appearance of age spots by promoting skin cell regeneration and elasticity. This oil also has a calming effect on the skin, making it an excellent choice for those with sensitive skin prone to irritation. It also has skin lightening properties that help reduce spots on the face and give you clear, glowing, radiant, and young-looking skin. Its anti-inflammatory properties help in reducing skin irritation, and it is a great essential oil for skin health.
3. Lavender Essential Oil
This oil is a popular choice in the field of skincare. Lavender essential oil is not only known for its soothing aroma but also for its skin-healing properties. It has natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that can aid in reducing redness and dark spots caused by aging and sun exposure. Thus, it can be used for reducing age spots or liver spots. Lavender oil has relaxing properties that help reduce stress, anxiety, and tension that are usually experienced if your skin health is suffering.
4. Carrot Seed Essential Oil
This oil is an excellent choice for reducing spots on the skin. Carrot seed essential oil is rich in antioxidants and vitamins, making it a powerful ally in the fight against age spots. It helps protect the skin from free radicals, which can accelerate the aging process and contribute to the development of age spots. Carrot seed oil is one of the best oils for dry skin issues, which usually generates age spots.
5. Rosehip Essential Oil
The rosehip seed oil contains a high concentration of antioxidants, and vitamin A, known for its ability to improve skin texture and reduce the appearance of age spots. This essential oil can help reduce sun spots as well. This is an effective essential oil for brown spots.
6. Sandalwood Essential Oil
This essential oil is beneficial for fading away dark spots, scars, etc. Sandalwood is known for its skin-brightening properties, making it a great choice for tackling age spots. Sandalwood oil is a rich source of antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-aging properties that help reduce spots on your skin. This is a great natural ingredient that can be used to improve your overall health and wellness. This essential oil is used in many spiritual activities as well as it promotes relaxation and calmness.
7. Geranium Essential Oil
Geranium oil helps balance the skin’s natural oil production, contributing to a more even skin tone and reduced appearance of age spots. It contains natural antioxidant properties that fight free radicals and help reduce scars and age spots. This essential oil is also helpful in managing sebum production on the skin and helps to fade age spots. This oil has a natural astringent properties that help deal with many skin conditions.
8. Neroli Essential Oil
Neroli promotes cell turnover and skin elasticity, aiding in the reduction of age spots. This is one of the best essential oils for age spots, as it helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles. It reduces sagging skin. And its antibacterial properties help in reducing large pores that secrete oil to the skin. Thus, this oil is best for oily skin types as it regulates sebum production.
9. Turmeric Essential Oil
This oil has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, making it effective in addressing age spots and improving overall skin health. This oil strengthens the skin, improves skin elasticity, brightens the skin, and reduces the appearance of dark spots, also known as brown spots.
10. Myrrh Essential Oil
Myrrh has skin rejuvenating properties that can help fade age spots and promote a radiant complexion. It has properties that promote skin elasticity, improve skin tone, and also improve the firmness of skin. Its anti-inflammatory property helps in reducing age spots.
11. Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang-ylang oil helps maintain skin moisture, preventing dryness and minimizing the appearance of age spots. Ylang-ylang oil regulates sebum production and thus helps manage the oil production on the skin. Avoiding excess oil production on the skin helps reduce age spots.
Also, Ylang ylang essential oil supports skin cell regeneration making it one of the best essential oil for skin repair. The active compounds promote new cell growth which helps treat wounds, cuts, burns and other damage faster. Using ylang ylang oil can aid significantly in skin repair by facilitating faster healing and reducing scarring.
12. Cypress Essential Oil
Cypress oil has astringent properties that can tighten the skin and reduce the visibility of age spots. Using cypress oil helps stimulate blood circulation and increases blood flow to the skin and thus helps reduce signs of aging.
13. Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary oil can enhance blood circulation, aiding in the skin’s natural healing process and diminishing age spots.
14. Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the popular essential oils when it comes to skincare. It contains an anti-aging property that helps reduce many different signs of aging. It is rich in anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, antiviral, antioxidants, and many such properties that help improve your skin health and give you radiant-looking skin.
15. Patchouli Essential Oil
This is a great essential oil for dark spots. Patchouli promotes cell regeneration and can contribute to a more even skin tone. It has properties that help smooth wrinkles and fine lines and thus reduce age spots. It contains antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties, and thus patchouli essential oil is perfect for aging skin.
16. Helichrysum Essential Oil
This is one of the lesser-known essential oil that helps reduce skin imperfections like age spots. This oil is known for its skin-repairing properties, making it useful in reducing the appearance of age spots and promoting smoother skin. It is rich in antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing the signs of aging.
How To Use Essential Oils As A Remedy For Age Spots?
Following are different ways to use essential oils for age spot treatment:
- Dilute the essential oil of your choice with carrier oil. Carrier oil for age spots includes avocado oil, coconut oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, etc. Use a ratio of 2-3 drops of essential oil to 1 tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Perform a patch test on a small area of skin to check for any allergies or skin sensitivity.
- Gently massage the diluted essential oil mixture onto the age spots and the surrounding areas.
- For best results, apply the oil mixture twice a day, preferably in the morning and evening.
- Mix 3-5 drops of your preferred essential oil with 1 tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Warm the oil slightly by rubbing it between your palms.
- Gently massage the oil onto your face or the affected areas for 5-10 minutes.
- The massage will improve blood circulation and aid in the absorption of essential oil.
Steam Facial Treatment:
- Boil a pot of water and transfer it to a heatproof bowl.
- Add 3-5 drops of essential oil to the hot water.
- Lean over the bowl, cover your head with a towel, and allow the steam to envelop your face.
- Steam for 5-10 minutes to open the pores and enhance the effects of the essential oil.
DIY Recipes And Essential Oil Blends To Reduce The Appearance Of Age Spots Or Brown Spots
Using essential oils in DIY recipes can be an effective and natural way to reduce the appearance of age spots on face. Here are seven easy-to-follow recipes that you can try at home:
1. Brightening Serum Recipe
- 3 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Rosehip Oil
- In a small glass bottle or dropper, combine the lemon essential oil, frankincense essential oil, and rosehip oil.
- Close the bottle and shake gently to mix the oils thoroughly.
How to Use:
- After cleansing your face, apply a few drops of the serum directly to the aged spots.
- Gently massage the serum into the skin using upward circular motions.
- Use the serum twice daily, once in the morning and once before bedtime.
2. Age Spot Cream
- 5 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Shea Butter
- 1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil
- In a small jar, combine the lavender essential oil, ylang-ylang essential oil, shea butter, and coconut oil.
- Mix the ingredients well until you get a smooth cream-like consistency.
How to Use:
- Take a small amount of the cream and apply it directly to the age spots.
- Gently massage the cream into the skin until it is fully absorbed.
- Use the cream daily, preferably in the evening before going to bed.
3. Skin Nourishing Blend
- 4 drops of Carrot Seed Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Neroli Essential Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Jojoba Oil
- In a small glass bottle or dropper, mix the carrot seed essential oil, neroli essential oil, and jojoba oil.
- Close the bottle and shake gently to blend the oils.
How to Use:
- Take a few drops of the blend and apply it to your face or directly to the age spots.
- Massage the oil gently into the skin until it is fully absorbed.
- Use the blend daily for the best results.
4. DIY Face Mask to Treat Age Spots
- 2 drops of Turmeric Essential Oil
- 2 drops of pomegranate seed oil
- 1 teaspoon of Honey
- 1 teaspoon of Plain Yogurt
- In a small bowl, mix the turmeric and pomegranate oil, honey, and plain yogurt.
- Stir the ingredients until you get a smooth, consistent paste.
How to Use:
- Apply the mask evenly to your face, avoiding the eye area and any open wounds.
- Leave the mask on for 15 minutes to allow the ingredients to work their magic.
- Rinse off the mask with warm water and pat your skin dry.
- Use this mask twice a week for the best results.
5. Skin Brightening Toner
- 3 drops of Sandalwood Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Cypress Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Witch Hazel
- In a small bottle or container, mix the sandalwood essential oil, cypress essential oil, and witch hazel.
- Close the bottle and shake gently to combine the ingredients.
How to Use:
- After cleansing your face, apply a small amount of the toner to a cotton pad.
- Gently swipe the cotton pad across your face, focusing on the areas with age spots.
- Allow the toner to dry naturally on your skin.
- Use the toner daily, preferably in the morning and evening.
6. Age Spot Roller Blend
- 5 drops of Helichrysum Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- Almond Oil (as carrier oil)
- In a small roller bottle, combine the helichrysum essential oil and rosemary essential oil.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with almond oil.
How to Use:
- Roll the blend directly onto the age spots and surrounding areas.
- Gently massage the oil into the skin for better absorption.
- Use the roller blend twice daily for optimal results.
7. Even Skin Blend
- 3 drops of Myrrh Essential Oil
- 2 drops of Patchouli Essential Oil
- 1 tablespoon of Rosehip Oil
- In a small glass bottle or dropper, mix the myrrh essential oil, patchouli essential oil, and rosehip oil.
- Close the bottle and shake gently to combine the oils.
How to Use:
- Apply a small amount of the blend to the age spots.
- Gently massage the oil into the skin until fully absorbed.
- Use the blend daily for the best results.
8. Age Spot Reducing Serum
- 5 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
- 3 drops of Frankincense Essential Oil
- 2 tablespoons of Aloe Vera Gel
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon essential oil, frankincense essential oil, and aloe vera gel.
- Stir the ingredients well to ensure they are thoroughly mixed.
How to Use:
- Cleanse your face and pat it dry with a clean towel.
- Take a small amount of the serum and apply it directly to the age spots.
- Gently massage the serum into the skin using upward circular motions for better absorption.
- Leave the serum on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing it off with water.
- For optimal results, use the serum twice a day, once in the morning and once before bedtime.
Risks And Precautions
While essential oils can be beneficial, it’s essential to consider the following risks and precautions:
- Skin Sensitivity: Some people may be sensitive to certain essential oils. Always perform a patch test before applying them to larger areas. Look for essential oils that best suit your skin needs and requirements.
- Sun Sensitivity: Certain essential oils, like lemon oil, can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. Avoid sun exposure after applying these oils, or wear sunscreen.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant or nursing women should consult a healthcare professional before using essential oils.
- Undiluted Use: Never apply undiluted essential oils directly to the skin, as they can cause irritation or allergic reactions.
- Essential Oil Quality: Ensure you use high-quality, pure essential oils to avoid adverse effects.
In conclusion, essential oils offer a natural and effective solution for tackling age spots and achieving a flawless complexion. When used properly, these potent oils can help fade dark spots, promote skin rejuvenation, and improve overall skin health. Diluting essential oils with carrier oils for age spot treatments is crucial to ensure safety and avoid skin irritation.
When it comes to age spot treatments, consistency is key. Regular use of essential oils for age spots, along with proper sun protection, can help minimize the appearance of these dark spots and prevent new ones from forming. However, it’s essential to exercise caution and not apply undiluted essential oils directly to the skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best essential oil for age spots?
Essential oils like lemon oil, frankincense oil, lavender oil, carrot seed oil, rosehip seed oil, sandalwood oil, geranium oil, neroli oil, turmeric oil, myrrh oil, ylang ylang oil, cypress oil, rosemary oil, tea tree oil, patchouli oil, and helichrysum oil are some of the best essential oils for age spots.
Is lavender oil good for age spots?
Yes, lavender oil has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that helps in reducing age spots. It also has natural soothing properties that help soothe skin.
Does frankincense oil fade age spots?
Yes, frankincense oil contains skin rejuvenating and regenerative properties that help heal the skin and reduce the signs of aging. It also has skin lightening properties that help in giving you radiant and glowing skin.
Does turmeric oil fade age spots?
Yes, turmeric oil is rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that helps in reducing the appearance of dark spots or age spots. It also helps improve skin elasticity.
Does lemon essential oil remove age spots?
Yes, lemon essential oil has properties that help repair dull and damaged skin, giving you radiant and glowing skin. It is rich in vitamin C that acts as natural skin brightener, and thus help remove age spots.
- Sala, A., Recio, M.D.C., Giner, R.M., Máñez, S., Tournier, H., Schinella, G. and Ríos, J.L., 2002. Anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of Helichrysum italicum. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 54(3), pp.365-371.
- Yang, X., Zhang, X., Yang, S.P. and Liu, W.Q., 2013. Evaluation of the antibacterial activity of patchouli oil. Iranian Journal of pharmaceutical research: IJPR, 12(3), p.307.
- Carson, C.F., Hammer, K.A. and Riley, T.V., 2006. Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) oil: a review of antimicrobial and other medicinal properties. Clinical microbiology reviews, 19(1), pp.50-62.
- Selim, S.A., Adam, M.E., Hassan, S.M. and Albalawi, A.R., 2014. Chemical composition, antimicrobial and antibiofilm activity of the essential oil and methanol extract of the Mediterranean cypress (Cupressus sempervirens L.). BMC Complementary and alternative medicine, 14, pp.1-8.
- Elshafie, H.S. and Camele, I., 2017. An overview of the biological effects of some Mediterranean essential oils on human health. BioMed research international, 2017.
- Koulivand, P.H., Khaleghi Ghadiri, M. and Gorji, A., 2013. Lavender and the nervous system. Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine, 2013.
- Khan, A.J., 2012. Medicinal properties of frankincense. International Journal of Nutrition, Pharmacology, Neurological Diseases, 2(2), p.79.
- da Silva Dias, J.C., 2014. Nutritional and health benefits of carrots and their seed extracts. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 5(22), p.2147.
- Ilyasoğlu, H., 2014. Characterization of rosehip (Rosa canina L.) seed and seed oil. International Journal of Food Properties, 17(7), pp.1591-1598.
- Singh, H., Kumar, S. and Arya, A., 2023. Ethno-dermatological relevance of medicinal plants from the Indian Himalayan region and its implications on cosmeceuticals: A review. Journal of Drug Research in Ayurvedic Sciences, 8(2), p.97.
- Lohani, A., Mishra, A.K. and Verma, A., 2019. Cosmeceutical potential of geranium and calendula essential oil: Determination of antioxidant activity and in vitro sun protection factor. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 18(2), pp.550-557.
- Ande, S.N. and Bakal, R.L., 2022. Potential herbal essential oils: Are they supernatural skin protectors? Innov. Pharm. Pharm, 10, pp.19-24.
- Abd El‐Hack, M.E., El‐Saadony, M.T., Swelum, A.A., Arif, M., Abo Ghanima, M.M., Shukry, M., Noreldin, A., Taha, A.E. and El‐Tarabily, K.A., 2021. Curcumin, the active substance of turmeric: its effects on health and ways to improve its bioavailability. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 101(14), pp.5747-5762.
- Alraddadi, B.G. and Shin, H.J., 2022. Biochemical Properties and Cosmetic Uses of Commiphora myrrha and Boswellia serrata. Cosmetics, 9(6), p.119.