The gallbladder is an organ located below the liver. Its main function is to store and releases bile, which is used for fat digestion. Gallbladder issues, such as gallstones or inflammation, can cause a range of symptoms, including pain, nausea, and vomiting. Gallstones are a problem that is very commonly found these days mainly because of fatty diets (1).
It can block the bile flow and can prevent the passage of pancreatic enzymes. It can cause inflammation in the gallbladder (cholecystitis). There are many medications available in the market. But many prefer natural remedies to treat the symptoms of gallbladder issues.
One such natural ingredient is essential oil. Essential oils are highly concentrated versions of plant properties (2). The essential oil has many medicinal and therapeutic benefits that can be used for gall bladder. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain, irritation, swelling, etc.
Essential oils can be used as massage oils to treat gallbladder-related issues. It can also be used to treat different stomach issues. Essential oils can help in offering relief for different symptoms related to gallbladder issues, gallstones, etc.
Are Essential Oils Good For Gallbladder Health?
Essential oils are plant based oils that have active ingredients that give it its therapeutic abilities. Essential oils have anti-inflammatory, tonic, stimulant, stomachic and detoxifier properties. For instance, the stimulant property of some of the oils stimulates the production of bile.
The anti-inflammatory and tonic properties of the oils prevent minor inflammation of the liver and gallbladder and optimize its functions. There are more than 90 (or 100) essential oils available in the market and each has its properties.
Here we have segregated the 11 best essential oils for gallbladder health. Now, there is a need for scientific evidence for the benefits of essential oils for gallbladder and gallstones, but the medicinal properties of essential oils have been proven through various studies.
What Are The Best Essential Oils For Gall Bladder?
There are several essential oils that can be used to treat gallbladder issues. Below are some of the best essential oils that can be used to help relieve liver and gallbladder issues and can prevent any disease related to stomach.
1. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is believed to have a relaxing effect on the muscles of the digestive tract and may help to reduce the discomfort associated with gallbladder issues (3). This is one of the best oils for gallbladder pain. It can be used in massage oils or added to a warm bath.
Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, it helps alleviate any sort of pain. It also has properties that help in relaxing the muscles of the digestive tract. Peppermint oil also helps in detoxifying the gallbladder (4).
2. Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon oil may help to stimulate the production of bile, which can be helpful for people with gallbladder problems (5). You can diffuse this oil to take advantage of its benefits. Lemon oil is found to be one of the most effective oils that helps in dissolving gallstones.
Lemon oil contains lipolytic action, which helps in reducing gallbladder attacks. It also improves blood circulation and helps break down lipids. Regular use of this oil has a high capacity to break down fat as well.
Lemon essential oil is also a powerful essential oil for diarrhea thanks to its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties. The limonene in lemon oil helps kill bacteria, viruses, and parasites that cause diarrhea while reducing intestinal inflammation.
3. Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit oil is a great essential oil for stomach-related issues or for gallbladder. Grapefruit oil is great for reducing fluid retention and also improves overall digestion resulting in improved gallbladder condition. This oil can help in increasing blood flow to the digestive organs and helps remove toxins and other pollutants. You can use grapefruit oil in the form of massage oil to get relief from gallbladder problems.
4. Melissa Essential Oil
Melissa oil has antimicrobial properties that help in fighting infections. It is also known as lemon balm oil (6). It also contains lipase properties that help the bile duct and increases bile creation within the liver. It can also be used to dissolve gallstones. It contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in reducing pain and swelling.
5. Dill Oil
Dill oil has been traditionally used to relieve gastrointestinal problems, including those related to the gallbladder (7). It can be used in a diffuser or can be used for topical application by diluting it with a carrier oil.
6. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil is famous for its rich anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it particularly effective for reducing gallbladder inflammation and pain. This anti-inflammatory oil, along with curcumin, can assist in relieving chronic pain.
Frankincense oil contains antibacterial and antifungal properties that help in fighting any sort of infection. You can massage your stomach using this oil for better results. It also helps detoxify and offer relief from stomach-related issues.
7. Tangerine Essential Oil
Tangerine oil is one of the must-haves if you want to treat gallstones. It helps in detoxifying the body and helps improve liver health and function, resulting in a healthy digestive system.
8. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary essential oil has been used as a traditional remedy to stimulate bile flow and relieve digestive problems. It is one of the oldest oil that is being used to treat gallstones or other gallbladder-related infections.
Rosemary oil contains cineole, alpha-pinene, and camphor that help in dissolving gallstones. This is one of the best oils to be used for treating gallbladder problems mainly because of its anti-stringent and digestive. It can be diffused or used for topical application.
Must Read: 16 Benefits & Uses of Rosemary Essential Oil
9. Turmeric Oil
Turmeric oil has anti-inflammatory properties that may be helpful for reducing inflammation in the gallbladder. Turmeric oil can be both diffused as well as topically applied.
10. Ginger Oil
Ginger oil has anti-inflammatory properties that help alleviate pain due to gallbladder problems. It also helps in improving overall digestion and improves the functioning of the digestive system. Ginger oil helps treat nausea and vomiting symptoms related to gallbladder issues.
11. Fennel Oil
Fennel oil is best for treating gastrointestinal problems (8). It also improves and stimulates the production of bile. It has a relaxing effect on the muscles of the digestive tract and improves digestive functioning.
How To Use Essential Oils For Gall Bladder?
Add a few drops of essential oils such as peppermint or lemon to a diffuser and inhale the aroma to help stimulate the gallbladder and promote healthy digestion.
Mix a few drops of essential oils such as ginger or fennel with a carrier oil and massage the mixture onto the abdomen to help support the gallbladder and promote healthy digestion. Carrier oils include coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, argan oil, olive oil, etc.
Dilute a few drops of essential oil, such as peppermint or lemon, in a glass of water and drink it to help stimulate the gallbladder and promote healthy digestion.
*Note: Essential oils in pure form are not suitable for ingestion. In order to use essential oils internally, it is recommended to dilute the oil properly or take an expert’s help.
# DIY Recipes For Gallbladder Issues | Essential Oil Blends To Support Gallbladder Health
# DIY 1 – Gallbladder Massage Oil
- 1 ounce of carrier oil (Sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil)
- 4 drops of peppermint oil
- 4 drops of lemon oil
- 2 drops of dill oil
- 2 drops of rosemary oil
- 2 drops of turmeric oil
- In a small glass bottle, add the carrier oil and essential oils.
- Close the bottle and shake well to mix the oils.
- Apply a small amount of massage oil to your abdomen and gently massage in a clockwise direction.
- You can use the massage oil once daily or as directed by your doctor.
Essential oils should not be used internally without the guidance of a healthcare professional and should be used in dilution when applied topically. If you have sensitive skin, it is recommended to perform a patch test before using the massage oil on a larger area.
# DIY 2 – Essential Oils Bath Blend For Gallbladder
- 2 cups of Epsom salts
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oil (such as sweet almond oil or grapeseed oil)
- 4 drops of peppermint oil
- 4 drops of lemon oil
- In a large bowl, mix the Epsom salts, carrier oil, and essential oils together.
- Fill your bathtub with warm water and add the mixture to the water.
- Soak in the bath for 20-30 minutes, allowing the essential oils to be absorbed through your skin.
- You can use this bath once a day or as directed by your healthcare professional.
# DIY 3 – Inhaler For Gallbladder
- A small glass jar with a lid
- Cotton balls or pads
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- 2 drops of lemon oil
- In the small glass jar, add the essential oils.
- Dip the cotton ball or pad into the jar, making sure it is fully saturated with the oils.
- Close the jar and allow the oils to soak into the cotton ball or pad for a few minutes.
- Open the jar and inhale the scent of the oils deeply for a few minutes. Repeat as needed.
- You can use this inhaler as needed or as directed by your healthcare professional.
What Are The Most Common Gallbladder Problems?
Now that we know a lot about essential oils for gallbladder problems, it’s time to learn about gallbladders. That’s quite anticlimactic isn’t it? But, we will talk a bit more about gallbladder before we end this topic on essential oils for gallbladder.
Signs and Symptoms of Gallbladder Problems
There are several signs and symptoms that can point towards an ailing gallbladder. Most of these symptoms may be false positive to gallbladder diseases because most diseases pertaining to the liver and pancreas also manifest identical symptoms.
- Pain is the common symptom of gallbladder ailment. It is felt in the upper right part of the stomach, where the liver is located.
- The common sign of gallbladder problems is digestive issues. Acid reflux or acidity, flatulence, nausea and vomiting are signs of chronic gallbladder disease.
- The underlying signs of gallbladder issue may result in fever and chills.
- Chronic diarrhea is a symptom that needs immediate medical attention. Diarrhea that happens two to five times in a day for over a month should never be ignored.
- Gallbladder problems may result in jaundiced skin or skin with a yellowish hue.
- Be wary of the stool color. In case of gallbladder problems the stool color will be very light, which indicates the bile duct block.
- Be wary of the urine color as well. Common bile duct is indicated by dark urine.
Also, must read about: Essential Oils for Pancreas
Causes of Gallbladder Issues
Now that we have learnt about the signs of gallbladder problems, let’s look at the cause of gallbladder issues. Gallbladder disease entails any disease of the gallbladder. The following problems cause gallbladder issues.
- Cholecystitis is an infection that affects the gallbladder. It can be long term and short term.
- Another infection pertaining to the gallbladder is the common bile duct infection.
- When the calcium deposits in the gallbladder thickens or crystallizes it causes porcelain gallbladder.
- Most common issue is the gallstone.
- And not to forget, gallbladder cancer.
What are the Risk Factors of Gallbladder Diseases?
Some of the factors that increases the risk of gallbladder diseases are –
- Over 40 years of age
- Certain ethnicity
Natural Remedies For Gallstones besides Essential Oils
There are many precautions that can be taken to keep the gallbladder at its optimal functioning levels. Let’s take a look at some of the natural treatments for gallstones and how to cleanse your gallbladder.
Gallbladder flush or gallbladder cleanse is a diet heavy concept. It involves being on a diet of nothing but apple juice, herbs, and olive oil for a few days. This diet for gallbladder flushing is not for everyone, especially those with diabetes and sugar problems. However, research has shown that this diet may cleanse the gallbladder and liver of some people.
Apple Cider Vinegar Juice
Consuming apple cider vinegar with apple juice helps the body get rid of stones in the gallbladder. Apple cider vinegar is known for its health benefits; however, the evidence that it is good for gallstones is at best anecdotal.
Herbs for Gallbladder
Dandelion recipes are known as the best tea for liver. Dandelion teas and coffees are consumed to protect the gallbladder. Another herb is milk thistle for gallbladder. It is used in the detox for gallbladder and liver. Another traditional treatment for gallbladder includes lysimachiae herba or gold coin grass. Artichoke extracts stimulate bile production and are good for the gallbladder. Another one is Psyllium.
A warm compress with castor oil on the abdomen is followed by naturopaths. The compress should be left on the abdomen for an hour.
Alternate Treatments for Gallstones
Yoga and acupuncture are two alternate methods of treating gallstones and maintaining gallbladder health. The poses in yoga that seem to help with gallbladder issues include Bhujangasana and Sarvangasana.
Foods To Eat With Gallbladder Issues
What to eat with gallbladder issues? There are some foods for gallbladder health that are superfoods. These foods have good nutritional value and are useful for people with gallstones. The list of foods to eat for gallbladder problems are: –
- Green vegetables
- Whole grains
Foods To Avoid With Gallbladder Issues
There are some foods that will trigger gallbladder issues. These foods must be avoided for a healthy gallbladder or foods that aggravate gallbladder issues are: –
- Processed sweets including chocolates and ice creams
- Deep fried food items
Above is the list of the best essential oils for gallbladder health and gallbladder congestion. Essential oils are natural oils that can be used for effective gallbladder functioning. These essential oils for the gallbladder can be used to treat gallbladder stones or treat gallbladder and liver-related issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
What oils are good for gallbladder?
Essential oils like lemon oil, peppermint oil, lemon balm oil, grapefruit oil, fennel oil, ginger oil, turmeric oil, frankincense oil, tangerine oil, rosemary oil, dill oil, etc. are good for gallbladder.
How do you soothe an inflamed gallbladder?
You can massage your stomach area by using essential oil with carrier oil. You can also add a few drops of essential oils to your bath and immerse yourself to relieve inflamed gallbladder. Or you can diffuse essential oils and enjoy its aromatherapy benefits to release inflammation in gallbladder.
Does peppermint oil help gallbladder?
Yes, peppermint oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that help in treating inflammation, pain, and swelling symptoms associated with gallbladder problems.
Is frankincense good for gallbladder?
Yes, frankincense is rich in anti-inflammatory properties which makes it good for gallbladder. It also contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that help prevent any sort of infections.
- AFRICAN JOURNALS ONLINE (AJOL). Nigerian Journal of Surgery. https://www.ajol.info/index.php/njs/article/view/95523
- The Detailed Analysis of Essential Oils Leads to the Understanding of their Properties. https://img.perfumerflavorist.com/files/base/allured/all/document/2016/02/pf.0011.pdf
- How to get rid of gallstones naturally. https://www.nourishdoc.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-gallstones-naturally
- Role of Indian traditional medicine in mitigating novel corona virus effects. http://nopr.niscpr.res.in/handle/123456789/56236
- Pharmacogn Rev. (2010). Anethum graveolens: An Indian traditional medicinal herb and spice. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3249919/
- Saudi Journal of Biological Sciences. Protective effects of fennel oil extract against sodium valproate-induced hepatorenal damage in albino rats. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1319562X16301450