During changing seasons a lot of changes are seen on your skin and in our health. One such unwanted change that we experience is seasonal allergies. Allergies can be very disturbing, hindering, and causing discomfort in your daily routine.
Usually your first reaction to such allergies is to run to the nearest drugstore and take over the counter medications. Though, you can do that but taking these medications might have some side effects which can further worsen your allergies. Some of the symptoms of seasonal allergies include itchy skin, coughing, sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, stomach-ache, irritability, nasal congestion, itchy throat, scratchy throat, fatigue, etc.
So, it is better to rely on natural ways to treat these allergies. Essential oils are best natural remedies for allergies like without any side effects. You can use essential oils to treat allergies and symptoms of allergies.
Essential oils are plant extracts that are rich in nutrients and medicinal and therapeutic properties. Essential oils have natural healing properties that can help soothe allergies. Essential oils can be used as alternative treatments or it can also be used as complementary treatments to treat symptoms of seasonal allergies, skin allergies, etc.
Best Essential Oils For Allergies
1. Peppermint Essential Oil for Allergies
Gya Lab’s Natural Peppermint Essential Oil can work best on allergies and its symptoms . It has natural cooling and calming properties that helps soothe and calm the mind and body. Peppermint oil helps in reducing contractions caused due to coughing. Peppermint oil is effective for seasonal allergies.
Peppermint oil has anti-inflammatory properties that helps reduce inflammation and irritation caused due to allergies. Peppermint oil can help in relieving issues like stuffy nose, cough, itching, sinusitis, hay fever, etc.
2. Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Allergies
Eucalyptus oil is one of the most popular essential oils when it comes to soothing allergies. Eucalyptus oil can help open up lungs and sinuses. It has anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve congestion . Eucalyptus oil has cooling properties and a cool feel to it that helps in treating seasonal allergies. It is useful to treat sinuses and offer relief to scratchy throat, bronchitis, stuffy nose, cough, dust mites, cold, hay fever, etc.
3. Lavender Essential Oil for Allergies
Lavender oil is one of the commonly used essential oils for many different purposes. Lavender oil is best to be used during allergy season. It has natural antihistamine that contains anti-inflammatory properties that helps reduce inflammation commonly witnessed in allergies .
Lavender oil has sedative properties that help induce better sleep. Allergies offer a lot of discomfort which sometimes lead to sleep deprivation. Lavender oil can help overcome the problem of sleep deprivation.
4. Tea Tree Oil for Allergies
Tea tree oil is another popular and commonly used essential oil in people’s skincare routine. Tea tree oil has the ability to deal with allergy symptoms. It is rich in medicinal and therapeutic benefits that can do wonders in allergies. Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce inflammation  . Tea tree oil is best used for hives, runny nose, skin allergies, itchy skin, eczema, home allergies, etc.
5. Lemon Essential Oil for Allergies
Lemon oil for allergy relief is one of the best essential oils. Lemon oil helps in relieving congestion and other common seasonal allergies symptoms. Lemon oil can help treat issues like cough, home allergies, dust mites, asthma, hay fever, etc.
6. Frankincense Essential Oil for Allergies
Frankincense essential oil is rich in anti-inflammatory properties. It helps in relieving congestion in respiratory system . Frankincense oil is best used for sinus infection relief and it also acts as a holy grail for people suffering with asthma. It also helps in hay fever, runny nose, dust mites, bronchitis, etc. Frankincense oil is best suitable to fight symptoms of allergies.
7. Chamomile Essential Oil for Allergies
Chamomile oil is a great essential oil to deal with allergies. Chamomile oil contains anti-inflammatory properties that is one of the most effective activities of oils that help treat allergies and its related symptoms. Chamomile is also helpful in treating sinuses, blocked nose, skin allergies, hive, red bumps, etc. Chamomile oil treats itching, swelling and skin conditions like eczema that are symptoms of allergies .
8. Clove Oil for Allergies
Clove oil is an ancient oil that has been used since ages to treat different types of skin and health conditions. Clove oil contains eugenol that helps in fighting signs of allergies . It contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties that help reduce allergic infections.
9. Rosemary Essential Oil for Allergies
Rosemary oil is one of the most effective essential oils that can be used to treat allergies. It is mild in nature and thus is considered to be appropriate for use over children. The immunity of children is weak and they are more prone to allergies caused due to seasonal transitions. So, rosemary oil can be used for children to get rid of allergies.
10. Sandalwood Essential Oil for Allergies
Sandalwood essential oil contains calming and soothing properties that help in offering relief during allergies. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling caused due to allergies. Sandalwood is an essential oil for treating itchy skin, and also promotes better sleep. Sandalwood can be used if you are suffering through eczema.
11. Holy Basil Essential Oil for Allergies
Basil oil is one of the most appropriate choices for dealing with seasonal allergies. Basil oil has properties that boosts the immune system and thus helps fight allergies and symptoms. Basil oil offers relief from airway congestion, and also releases toxins from your system.
What Are The Popular Ways To Use Essential Oils For Seasonal Allergies And Allergy Symptoms?
Essential oils are often used to treat seasonal and skin allergies. People who suffer from seasonal allergies should incorporate essential oils in their skincare and healthcare routine. Below are some of the ways in which essential oils can be used to treat seasonal or skin allergies:
Diffusing essential oils is one of the most effective ways to treat allergies. Diffusers help in spreading tiny particles of essential oils to your surroundings and can help you inhale its benefits.
For this you need to get a diffuser, plug it in. Put water in it till the water mark level. Add your favorite essential oils in it through a nozzle opening specifically for adding essential oils.
Enjoy the soothing and calming properties of essential oils. Diffusing essential oils can help treat allergies and also help improve respiratory system functioning and boosts the immune system.
Essential oils can also be inhaled directly. You can directly breathe the essential oils from a bottle or put a few drops of essential oils on a cotton ball and use it to inhale. You can also add a few drops of essential oil on pillowcases, or handkerchiefs and sniff or inhale essential oils from there. It will help you in treating skin allergies and seasonal allergies.
You can use essential oils to apply to the skin directly for treating skin allergies. But you need to consider that undiluted powerful essential oils may make your allergies worse. Essential oils are high in concentration and to reduce this concentration you need to dilute essential oils in a carrier oil.
Some of the carrier oils include coconut oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, avocado oil, or olive oil, etc. You can dilute essential oils with carrier oil in a ratio of 2:1 that is 2 drops of essential oil to 1 tablespoon of carrier oil.
During topical application you need to make sure that you avoid direct sun exposure as certain essential oils like lemon oil and other citrus based essential oils are light and sun sensitive.
Essential oils may help to soothe and calm your whole body and mind. You can add a few drops of essential oil in your bathtub and immerse yourself in it to enjoy its therapeutic benefits and treat allergies.
To get rid of your allergies you can try some home remedies like essential oils that are natural and safe to use. Below are some of the DIY recipes that you can try at home with different essential oils to symptoms associated with allergies and to get rid of what causes allergies.
DIY Essential Oil Bath Blend To Treat Allergies And Its Symptoms
- 5 drops chamomile oil
- 5 drops lemon oil
- 3 drops lavender oil
- Bath salts of your choice
- Fill the bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Add the above essential oils in it.
- Immerse yourself in the bathtub and enjoy the benefits of essential oil.
DIY Essential Oil Blend For Relief In Allergies
- 2 drops of chamomile oil
- 2 drops lavender oil
- 2 drops basil oil
- 3 tablespoon carrier oil (Of your choice)
- Take a bowl and add all the above oils in it.
- Mix all the ingredients properly to make a nice blend.
- Apply this blend on your skin allergies.
- For seasonal allergies, apply this blend on your neck, chest and back and massage for 5 minutes.
DIY Essential Oil Blend For Diffusion
- 2 drops rosemary oil
- 2 drops frankincense oil
- 2 drops clove oil
- 2 drops tea tree oil
- Plug in the diffuser and add water in it till the water mark level.
- Add the above essential oils in it through the nozzle provided.
- Sit back and relax and enjoy the benefits of essential oils.
DIY Essential Oil Roll On For Allergies
- 2 drops lavender oil
- 2 drops peppermint oil
- 2 drops sandalwood oil
- 2 drops rosemary oil
- Jojoba oil
- 10 ml roller bottle
- Take the roller bottle and add all the essential oils in it.
- Fill the remaining space with jojoba oil.
- Shake the bottle well to mix all the oils.
- Store the roller bottle in a cool and dark place.
- Apply this mixture on your temples, pulses, neck, etc.
Risks And Precautions
Generally essential oils are safe to use but certain essential oils are not safe mainly because of its compounds and components or because of its sun and light sensitivity.
Essential oils are high in concentration so it is advised to dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil before its topical application. Undiluted essential oils can make your allergies worse.
Avoid using an essential oil if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Also avoid using essential oils on children.
It is advised to take a patch test before applying essential oils on the affected area. If you witness any allergic reaction, immediately stop the use of essential oils and consult your doctor.
Avoid ingesting essential oils as it can be fatal or can cause severe harm to you.
Essential oils work wonders for your different needs and requirements. You can use essential oil on your skin allergies and essential oils even work to relieve seasonal allergies. Essential oils provide relief from symptoms related to allergies. Avoid using undiluted essential oils topically as it can worsen your allergies. The article has discussed the essential oils that can help offer relief from allergies and ease the discomfort.
Frequently Asked Questions
What essential oil is good for allergies?
Peppermint oil, eucalyptus oil, chamomile oil, tea tree oil, lavender oil, basil oil, rosemary oil, frankincense oil, lemon oil, clove oil, and sandalwood oil are some of the essential oils that are good for allergies.
Can essential oils treat allergies?
Yes. Essential oils have natural healing properties that help treat allergies and fight symptoms of allergies. It is rich in antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal properties that help treat allergies.
How Do Essential Oils Fight Allergies?
Essential oils contain anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce inflammation, irritation and itchiness from allergies. It has antibodies that help fight allergies and promotes faster healing.
How to Use Essential Oils for Allergies?
1. You can diffuse essential oils to get relief from allergies.
2. You can dilute it with carrier oil and apply topically on the affected area.
3. You can also add essential oils to your bath and immerse yourself to enjoy the therapeutic effects of essential oils and heal your allergies.
- de Groot, Anton MD, PhD; Schmidt, Erich. (2016). Essential Oils, Part V: Peppermint Oil, Lavender Oil, and Lemongrass Oil. https://journals.lww.com/dermatitis/Abstract/2016/11000/Essential_Oils,_Part_V__Peppermint_Oil,_Lavender.3.aspx.
- Alan Woolf. (2004). Essential Oil Poisoning. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1081/CLT-100102450.
- K.J. Koh,A.L. Pearce,G. Marshman,J.J. Finlay-Jones,P.H. Hart. (2002). Tea tree oil reduces histamine-induced skin inflammation. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1046/J.1365-2133.2002.05034.x.
- Milica Acimovic Institute of Field and Vegetable Crops. (2021). Essential Oils: Inhalation Aromatherapy -A Comprehensive Review. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/349485550_Essential_Oils_Inhalation_Aromatherapy_-A_Comprehensive_Review.
- Shadi T. Zari and Talal A. Zari. (2015). A review of four common medicinal plants used to treat eczema. https://academicjournals.org/journal/JMPR/article-full-text-pdf/1851EB753877.pdf.
- Magdalena Ulanowska and Beata Olas. (2021). Biological Properties and Prospects for the Application of Eugenol—A Review. https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/22/7/3671.